Mainpage welcome and FAQ[edit source]
Hi, as I might not get on IRC today I am writing here. I think for the "welcome Mainpage" we should in the future include a request feature link and possibly stewards noticeboard.
Wiki request[edit source]
- Hi! Southparkfan (talk) 15:40, 12 September 2015 (UTC)
- How come you guys split up?--Kaiser (talk) 15:52, 12 September 2015 (UTC)
Orain dumps[edit source]
- Sure. Please first request a wiki. Southparkfan (talk) 16:36, 23 September 2015 (UTC)
Orain backup request[edit source]
Hi SPF, thanks for building Miraheze! I got told by Addshore that you got the back up of Orain, could you please help recover bus.orain.org to bus.miraheze.org please thank you.
Fiala1 lies[edit source]
His replies are nonsense and totally delusional. Rightpedia was a harcore-Nazi holocaust denier site that even attached a "J" sign next to people (on entries) who were Jewish and called them parasites. Fiala1 is also an ex-sysop on the white supremacist site Metapedia called Hu1. His posts are logged there going back to 2008, including hundreds of posts of extreme anti-Semitism and race hatred. There is nothing "family orientated" or "pro-God" about his views whatsoever.
^ You will note his account says banned at Metapedia (if you search for it). This is because his anti-Semitism was considered even too extreme for Metapedia (which is a neo-Nazi site itself) but it tries to have a wider appeal so it tones it down. Hu1 and the other banned Metapedia sysops left to set up rightpedia - these are people not interested in even trying to moderate their racism. They just openly post crude images likening blacks to apes, or Jews to rats. Rightpedia's entry on "miscegenation" categorized mixed-marriages the same as paedophilia (see: screenshot). This is why these Metapedia users were banned in the first place - they were considered too extreme and crazy for the average-joe white supremacist. And yet, Hu1 will sit there and describe himself bizarrely as a man of god, with family values and even a non-racist. The latter has caused him to be labelled a troll across the web. Tinbox (talk) 11:39, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
My talk page[edit source]
An other Orain backup request[edit source]
I was running a wiki on Orain and I hope so you can recover it. Please recover this site:
szk.orain.org to szk.miraheze.org
Editing Error[edit source]
When I try to delete outdated thread posts, I'm redirected to this error page: https://allthetropes.miraheze.org/w/index.php?title=Thread:Talk:Complete_Monster/Kirby/%22Examples%22_that_should_NOT_be_seen_here./reply&action=delete It says I'm not an admin and thus cannot do that, and my username is now "Lee M." What is going on here?
- Hi, I guess Redis, our object caching software had some issues again. Please let me know if you still experience this issue. Southparkfan (talk) 06:53, 29 October 2015 (UTC)
How can I add MediaWiki extensions to my wiki?[edit source]
- Request features. I've enabled Scribunto on your wiki now, though. Southparkfan (talk) 10:20, 14 November 2015 (UTC)
Wiki not yet created[edit source]
Help ! My wiki est not yet created ; is there something missing in the request ? Il will be a private wiki about the french rail network. See Special:RequestWikiQueue/199. Thanks... ! Babskwal (talk) 09:49, 23 November 2015 (UTC)
My return[edit source]
I would like to say sorry for not being on here in a couple of months. I have become extremely busy due to school, and I will again after this week for end of course testing and finals.--Kaiser (talk) 14:58, 24 November 2015 (UTC)
- Nothing that requires you to be here every day, right? School is very important :) Southparkfan (talk) 15:06, 24 November 2015 (UTC)
- You're right. By the way, may you ignore my stewards' noticeboard post. I'd like to request for the deletion of this account and any wikis hosted under it. I've gotten too busy these days. Maybe one day I'll return.--Kaiser (talk) 15:20, 24 November 2015 (UTC)
Ik vroeg me af of de subpages nog op jouw actielijst staan? Zie https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Request_features#Part-up_.28Status:_Open.29. Er is geen haast bij, dus neem vooral je tijd :-) Misschien dat je kunt aangeven wanneer je het ongeveer kunt uitvoeren. Misschien dat je ook nog onvoldoende informatie hebt omdat ik niet weet wat namespaces zijn.
Met vriendelijke groet,
How to add an email adresse to a user's account ?[edit source]
Please make the wiki stop caching scripts[edit source]
- Please explain which scripts are being cached? Southparkfan (talk) 19:49, 30 November 2015 (UTC)
I made a support forum[edit source]
- Looks nice! However, even if we would use a forum (we prefer that all communication goes via IRC or wiki, and if desired, mailing lists), we'd install the forum software ourselves (so we can host it at https://forum.miraheze.org/ and ensure only authorized staff has control to user/private data!). We want to keep the usage of third-party services to a minimum.
- If the community wants a forum, then I'll install one and I'll use your nice forum as a base for it. Southparkfan (talk) 10:34, 5 December 2015 (UTC)
Being politically incorrect and making fun of people[edit source]
Here's my own take on the rules that I will enforce on my wikis:
- No promoting harassment or contributing to online bullying.
- No personal information that endangers anyone's safety. (Addresses, phone numbers)
- Political incorrectness can be used sparingly. It can have a place but it's my observation that people who rely on it are have a lot of repressed intolerance and hatred.
- I believe that yes, your policy is similar to meta, therefore is good. Reception123 (talk)(contribs) 06:46, 20 December 2015 (UTC)
- Not commenting related to any sort of elevated permissions but as a normal user, I think as long as you follow global policies (which aren't that restrictive) you should be fine. You can choose to place whatever restrictions on your users as you want, and they can choose to leave if they don't like it. Personally I think those are good guidelines :) -- Cheers, NDKilla ( Talk • Contribs ) 23:20, 20 December 2015 (UTC)
Deleting wikis[edit source]
The steps you listed for deleting a wiki can be seen here. I just tried to do that for empty set wiki, and found out that I don't have write access to /srv/mediawiki/dblist/*, so I closed the wiki along with two other wikis (as logged here). Note that I still want emptysetwiki deleted, and the other two saved (for now) but closed. -- Cheers, NDKilla ( Talk • Contribs ) 02:08, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
"" (emptyset.miraheze.org)[edit source]
Please drop the database "emptysetwiki" I founded the wiki and never used it. I added the wiki to deleted.dblist, ran /extensions/MirahezeMagic/maintenance/removeDeletedWikis.php --wiki metawiki, then manually deleted the cw_wikis entries. -- Cheers, NDKilla ( Talk • Contribs ) 16:44, 18 January 2016 (UTC)
Games Wiki (games.miraheze.org)[edit source]
Please drop the database "gameswiki" per User:SleepyMode's request. 5 local users, Sleepy was the only one with any rights. Added the wiki to deleted.dblist, ran removeDeletedWikis.php --wiki metawiki, then manually deleted the cw_wikis entries. Confirmed wiki 404ing :p -- Cheers, NDKilla ( Talk • Contribs ) 17:00, 18 January 2016 (UTC)
Deletion on the wiki games.miraheze.org[edit source]
This wiki won't be active, its my wiki and I rather abandon I just cant handle two wikis now. SleepyMode 16:49, 18 January 2016 (UTC)
Special:CentralAuth/NDTest2 throws MWExceptions[edit source]
Topic pretty much says all I know right now. At school but can't debug. I've been noticing lots of CentralAuth issues lately. >~< at least little annoyances. -- Cheers, NDKilla ( Talk • Contribs ) 15:22, 20 January 2016 (UTC)
System can't load[edit source]
Custom domains[edit source]
- We automatically assign (wikiid).miraheze.org for most of the wikis, but if you purchase your own domain (we can do DNS stuff for you) and you buy the SSL/TLS Certificate, we are more than happy to set a custom domain on your server. — revi 17:56, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
- How much would that cost? ZenSwordz (talk) 6:32, 25 May 2016 (UTC)
- Anywhere from $10 to $1000 USD annually, depending on whose services you use, and whether you need an EV certificate (you don't). We can use Lets Encrypt to make free SSL certs, though I know SPF hates doing that :P. Also I own miraheze.wiki, so that's available for subdomains if needed. --Vorticity (talk) 08:21, 26 May 2016 (UTC)
- How much would that cost? ZenSwordz (talk) 6:32, 25 May 2016 (UTC)
Custom subdomain for my wiki[edit source]
So I have my main site at AEnasan.com and I would like to create wiki.aenasan.com that goes to https://aenasan.miraheze.org/ How do I do that? Since what I get is it lead to meta.miraheze.org instead. Thank you!
- Hi AEnasan, please read custom domains for that. Thank you, Southparkfan (talk) 12:32, 30 June 2016 (UTC)
Default logo upload location[edit source]
Hi, instead of requiring a wiki admin to upload their logo to their wiki and submitting a request on Phabricator for $wgLogo to be set to its location, why can't $wgLogo be set to pull from File:Logo.png by default?
I'm sure y'all have some reason why you do it the way you currently are but I'm just curious. :)
- I'm not entirely sure as I don't know completely how our static server works, but I believe it has something to do with how mediawiki images are (by default) stored in "randomly" created sub-folders of "images"
- I agree it would be really nice to set the default $wgLogo to something like "static.miraheze.org/$wgDBname/default.jpg" or whatever but this introduces two problems.
- This file (even the default Miraheze logo) would have to exist on every wiki to work without editing the config, then be overwritten by local wiki users.
- This wouldn't actually work because every image on every wiki has a literal filepath that can't really be checked (easily) without navigating to the image then clicking the full res version.
- Example, Media:Miraheze Logo.svg's wiki link is /wiki/File:Miraheze_Logo.svg but it's real filepath is /metawiki/3/35/Miraheze_Logo.svg. The "/3/35" is two sublevels created by looking at characters in the hash of the image.
- All of the above is assuming it still works like this and I remember correctly. -- Cheers, NDKilla ( Talk • Contribs ) 12:26, 29 June 2016 (UTC)
- Hi, as far as I know the file hash for "Logo.png" will always be the same, so that's not a major issue. But, whenever running a "file_exists( "/srv/mediawiki-static/$wgDBname/[first hash]/[second hash]/Logo.png" );", we are putting more and more load on one of our servers, and it will make the site slower. I think that if I need to decide between a delay in getting your new logo, and doing things that could have unexpected results, I'd prefer the first. Southparkfan (talk) 12:36, 30 June 2016 (UTC)
Cannot edit my wiki[edit source]
Please see why can't editing my szk wiki?
- Technical error, sorry for the inconvenience. It has been fixed. Regards, Southparkfan (talk) 21:23, 6 July 2016 (UTC)
Add custom domain assistance please[edit source]
Hi Southparkfan, I am interested in having a custom domain but I'm not really sure how it all works after point 2 on the Custom domains page. I can change the nameservers on the hosting company where I already have the custom domain name, that bit seems straightforward enough. Not wanting to sound stupid but:
- Is point 2 done on meta to request the custom domain?
- How is point 4 done? Is this an email to the SSL provider?
- Hi, point 2 was done in your wiki request. This does not applies to you, that's not a problem. Point 4 was done in the wiki request form too, but that was in the past only, I'll remove that. For now you only need to email us for a CSR, then you will receive a CSR back which can be used for signing the certificate at your provider. Southparkfan (talk) 20:24, 11 July 2016 (UTC)
- Hi Southparkfan, I just tried sending an email to the above address but it bounced back as undelivered mail. A message from noreply at miraheze dot org stated: "Your email to Phabricator was not processed, because an error occurred while trying to handle it." I also looked at both SSL sites and neither looked particularly easy to follow so I am not sure I would know what to do with the CSR if I had one. Borderman talk | contribs | email 23:35, 11 July 2016 (UTC)
Content pages counter configuration change for https://lomithradien.miraheze.org/[edit source]
I have put a request in here: https://phabricator.miraheze.org/T484, but I wish to know how long it will take as it is a low importance task. It is just to get a better page count on my wiki. I just need $wgArticleCountMethod set to "all". The wiki is here: https://lomithradien.miraheze.org/
Helping out[edit source]
Hey SPF, Samtar from enwp (myrcx on IRC) here - I stumbled upon miraheze from your phab profile :) I was wondering if there is anything I can help out with on the server side of things. Sysadmining is my current day job, I'm pretty familar with MW, Apache/nginx and puppet and what you're all doing here is awesome. Drop me a line here/email if that sounds interesting at all Samtar (talk) 12:44, 1 August 2016 (UTC)
- @Samtar: Hi Samtar, we're always interested in any volunteer work. Our online configuration is available on GitHub and anyone is welcome to open pull requests, especially if they can help close tasks in our issue tracker. You're welcome to stick around Meta Wiki and browse our issue tracker to answer general questions and help with feature requests. If you'd like, you can create an access request on Phabricator and we will discuss it, although it's probably best you have contributions here (although expertise in software and outside experience is always appreciated!). -- Cheers, NDKilla ( Talk • Contribs ) 13:06, 1 August 2016 (UTC)
- @NDKilla: Awesome, I'll have a bit of a look around and see what I can lend a hand in :) totally understand getting some contributions in first, I'll see how things go! -- Samtar talk to me 13:12, 1 August 2016 (UTC)
Logo change request[edit source]
Hey SPF, I would like to thanks you guys for this awesome work.
You had replied like this : "Hi Gbnavapara, thanks for participating in our survey. It is true you can't configure your wiki by default, this is something that we're working on as part of our goals for July-December 2016. We cannot give everyone full configuration access (since all wikis share the same LocalSettings.php), due to security reasons. Our goal is to introduce the 'ManageWiki' interface, which will allow you to configure some basic parts of your wiki. Our main goal here is to allow users to manage the configuration of the settings that are changed regularly on Miraheze (for example, the logo and favicon), and we might introduce the ability to change more settings after that."
I hope you guys are doing very good towards this improvement. Meanwhile, i had requested to change logo of my wiki : https://dditec.miraheze.org You guys did that, but it worked only for one page of my wiki. on other pages, default logo is still there. can you please help me? I have asked same question on Phabricator. task no: T657. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Gbnavapara (talk • contribs)
Custom domain[edit source]
Hi Southparkfan. I'd like to use a custom domain (www.3dic.xyz) for my wiki (3dicxyz.miraheze.org). I've sent my SSL certificate by E-mail, but got no response. Could you help me with this?
- Hello. Did you request/get a CSR certificate first? If not please send an email to csrmiraheze.org Reception123 (talk) (contribs) 05:08, 6 September 2016 (UTC)
Adult images[edit source]
Can't send email for generating CSR on my SSL?[edit source]
I'm trying to host a Miraheze wiki on my own custom domain (http://www.takethatwiki.com) but I can't seem to send an email to csr<at>miraheze.org to help generate a CSR for my SSL certificate?
I have already requested a wiki and pointed my nameservers to Miraheze (points 1 and 2 from the custom domains instructions page).
Below is what I get as a response:
Error Processing Mail (PhabricatorApplicationTransactionValidationException)
Your email to Phabricator was not processed, because an error occurred while
trying to handle it:
PhabricatorApplicationTransactionValidationException: Validation errors:
- The selected view policy excludes you. Choose a view policy which allows you to view the object.
- The selected edit policy excludes you. Choose a edit policy which allows you to edit the object.
Please help, thank you!
- Yes, this is because you are registered on Phabricator. Please just create a normal ticket by clicking here. Reception123 (talk) (contribs) 16:00, 14 September 2016 (UTC)
PDF extension[edit source]
Custom Domain[edit source]
Hello, I am pretty good with technology but not so the actual DNS parts. I requested a custom domain in the form but only received a .miraheze precept. When will my custom domain actually be made? Custom Domain - www.wikiblue.org Current Domain - www.wikiblue.miraheze.org - Streetfog
- @Streetfog: Hi. We don't actually "create" the domain, you need to register it by a domain registrar. We just provide the custom domain, but you need to already have purchased it. Reception123 (talk) (contribs) 15:28, 22 October 2016 (UTC)
Need Help With Custom Domain[edit source]
I am not a web developer, and have limited knowledge of most of this type of thing, but I followed the directions on the custom domain page and have had no response. I feel like it may be my fault, as I may have done something wrong. I would like my custom domain to be wiki.savage-wiki.com and I have sent the SSL to the engineer who sent me the CSR. I have created the sub-domain. I have pointed the nameservers to the Miraheze ones provided. But nothing has changed. Can I get some advice on what to do next?
- Hi, I'll contact you again in a few hours. Regards, Southparkfan (talk) 17:11, 14 December 2016 (UTC)
Banned on the IRC channel[edit source]
Hi, I just tried to join #miraheze but the client tells me I'm banned. I don't remember having done anything bad, so it's probably an error. I'm
NeoNamo!NeoMahler@wikipedia/unapersona --NeoMahler (talk) 18:42, 1 March 2017 (UTC)
- I am not sure why you were banned but I have now unbanned you. Reception123 (talk) (contribs) 18:46, 1 March 2017 (UTC)
Custom domain assistance request[edit source]
I sent the below to firstname.lastname@example.org and it bounced. So, trying here.
Miraheze recently initiated this site for me: https://jacksonheights.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page. Thanks.
My intent is to create a third level domain "wiki.JacksonHeights.nyc" that resolves to the wiki located at JacksonHeights.miraheze.org. And I'm not sure how to do this. Your directions seem to say I should substitute "ns1.miraheze.org" and "ns2.miraheze.org" for "ns12.hellodotnyc.com"and "ns13.hellodotnyc.com." However, it seems to warn that the jacksonheights.nyc site "will become unreachable." I don't want this to happen.
FYI, from my registrar's site:
You are using our DNS service. You can manage A, MX, TXT records. Nameservers are given to you by your hosting/email provider. If you are using an external hosting/email, please inquire with your provider. If you are using our DNS, Hosting or Email, do not change this configuration.
Your guidance will be greatly appreciated. Also, please generate a Let's Encrypt SSL certificate.
custom domain(coldbloodedwiki)[edit source]
- @Gusry8488: Please be patient. We are working on installing your custom domain certificate. It should be done soon. Reception123 (talk) (contribs) 15:31, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
What is the miraheze chat policy?[edit source]
Wiki creation change[edit source]
Please note that there has been a change to CreateWiki, and now you do not need to notify the users manually, all you need to do is have the "Notify" button checked on Special:CreateWiki, and this will be done automatically. If there is any confusion please read Meta:Wiki creators guide
Importing from Wikia[edit source]
Hello Southparkfan! I don't know if this question has been asked before but is it possible for Miraheze to import a Wikia wiki? Or is that not possible? CnocBride | Talk | Contribs 21:25, 30 October 2017 (UTC)
- @CnocBride: Yes, it is possible (you can request on Phabricator). Unfortunately, they don't provide file dumps so those are currently not possible. Reception123 (talk) (C) 06:03, 31 October 2017 (UTC)
- @CnocBride: Yeah, they provide XML dumps on Special:Statistics, those are what we import. Reception123 (talk) (C) 15:52, 31 October 2017 (UTC)
- @Reception123: But didn't you say it was not possible? CnocBride | Talk | Contribs 15:55, 31 October 2017 (UTC)
- @CnocBride: Yeah, they provide XML dumps on Special:Statistics, those are what we import. Reception123 (talk) (C) 15:52, 31 October 2017 (UTC)
Ban appeal[edit source]
Change logo on my wiki[edit source]
Custom domain help[edit source]
Hi. I'm thinking of changing meregos.miraheze.org to meregos.com, but beyond purchasing the domain name, I really have no idea what I am doing. Could you please offer some advice? Many thanks. Orv
- Hello, after that you must either change your nameservers to ours, or add a CNAME entry to Miraheze. Please read Custom domains for details on how to do this. Reception123 (talk) (C) 06:30, 11 February 2018 (UTC)
- Many thanks. I have followed those steps and opened the task on Phabricator. I look forward to this exciting development! :) Orv
Can deleted wikis be recovered?[edit source]
I had a few that were removed from inactivity because I was gone for a few years. I decided to try contributing again and if the wikis are gone that's not a problem because I'm going to start over with new projects. I can't even remember what my old ideas were and I'm trying to make sense of the bot script I was working on. It would be useful to make something that admins without technical skills could interact with and I have ideas for extensions that would help admins without needing to ask for code edits. XOF (talk) 18:00, 30 March 2018 (UTC)
Could someone please take a look at this request?[edit source]
A kitten for you![edit source]
You are a nice guy!
Some bubble tea for you![edit source]
|Thank you for creating the most awesome wiki farm in the world! Just because it is small doesn't mean it is bad! It is amazing! Joey717 (talk) 06:04, 4 August 2018 (UTC)|
Need contributors for my wiki![edit source]
- Hi, I started a new wiki called Sustainapedia. I was wondering if you could help me with my wiki and help contribute to it. I need volunteers who will willing enough to edit all the time (almost active every ten seconds, just like Wikipedia), and to also make a difference. If you could ask other users to start contributing and continuously, that would be great. Plus, I need other administrators too who can patrol and protect articles from vandalism and spam. Are you willing to help me? If so, start creating your user page and start contributing and patrolling for vandalism. I will give you admin rights once you come to the site. Cheers! Here is the link: https://sustainapedia.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page. DoveWindsor (talk) 11:40, 10 January 2019 (UTC)
How do i make a custom domain for a wiki request?[edit source]
So i want my custom domain to be meiranews.org, so can you generate something like a subdomain for what that would look like? I dont get the custom domain tutorial.
- Please follow Custom domains. znotch190711 (temporary signature) 08:05, 9 August 2019 (UTC)
Forgot password and locked out[edit source]
Hi this is the user:Soverpedia from soverpedia.miraheze.org.
I have forgotten my password and need to log into my account. My wiki is private but I can verify the pages and content include "Imperial State" and its based for states with limited recognition. If you need any other info from what my wiki is about I can tell you. My old email was taken down from gmail and it ends with email@example.com to provide further verification of who I am.--Sovpedic (talk) 14:25, 31 October 2019 (UTC)
- @Sovpedic: Hi. It would be preferable if you contacted staff via staffmiraheze.org with the information required to verify your identity. If you have your email connected to your account, is it not possible to do a reset? Reception123 (talk) (C) 14:29, 31 October 2019 (UTC)
je hebt een mail ontvangen.
Met vriendelijke groet:
- Hoi, ik heb je e-mail ontvangen. Ik kom er later vandaag op terug. Groet, Southparkfan (talk) 18:00, 1 May 2020 (UTC)
A barnstar for you![edit source]
|The Technical Barnstar|
|For helping to clear the backlog of extensions needing security review! Amanda Catherine (talk) 16:34, 10 July 2020 (UTC)|
- I am not sure I deserve a barnstar, looking at the number of yet-to-be-reviewed extensions, although that process is hard to speed up with one active reviewer. Thanks for the barnstar, I guess. Southparkfan (talk) 22:54, 10 July 2020 (UTC)
About Google captcha[edit source]
Miraheze currently uses the verification code provided by Google. However, since Google Corporation withdrew from the Chinese market, the government blocked all its translation except the translation. It led to the fact that users in mainland China could not register or add the external chain. Chinese mainland was prohibited from making use of VPN. So miraheze could change a verification service provider in People's Republic of China? I don't know how to use English well，so I use the MT.城市酸儒文人挖坑 (talk) 02:53, 21 August 2020 (UTC)