Help me![edit source]
Please help me with... Hi Miraheze community, quick question if you have a minute,
Is it possible to add subpages in a Miraheze wiki? e.g. NameA/foo_article, so that you can have the same article name in a different subpage e.g. Nameb/foo_article? The current workaround would be to do NameA_foo_article but it may be too cumbersome as there may be many articles with the same prefix which will show up in the title.
And a follow up question in case this is possible, is it possible to have subpages in the main namespace?
- Camilo.tejeiro Welcome to Miraheze, to Meta, and thank you for your questions. For your followup question, yes, you can definitely enable subpages in Main namespace. You go into Special:ManageWiki/namespaces on your wiki and select, Should this namespace have subpages enabled?, by checking the box. For your first question, well, then those wouldn't be subpages of the given page, so I'm going to say probably not? Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 01:52, 26 October 2020 (UTC)
- Camilo.tejeiro For your first question, I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but what might be a better idea might just be to first set that namespace to not have subpages, allowing you to use the
/in page titles and then to create a category, or even a hidden category, and then categorizing all like pages with that category/hidden category, maybe? Dmehus (talk) 01:57, 26 October 2020 (UTC)
- @Dmehus: Thank you for your answer! I understand. Let me follow up a bit, I think those were not that good examples to illustrate the point, my apologies. To give a bit more context, the problem I am having is loosely relating to an electronic circuits wiki e.g. we could have two circuits with the same identical name, let's call it for simplicity "amplifier" but belonging to two different unique semiconductor "categories" let's call one CMOS and the other Bipolar. So we could do CMOS amplifier and Bipolar amplifier as article titles but the problem is that you would have to prefix every circuit name with CMOS and bipolar to make the names unique and avoid name collisions. Ideally the article name could be simply amplifier but one living under CMOS/ and the other living under Bipolar/ or some similar workflow.
- @Dmehus: Actually I found the way Wikipedia does name (disambiguation), this may end up working well.
- From my explorations it looks like I can use namespaces and subpages but I am unsure as to which one would be more adequate for this purposes,
- Thank you for your feedback,
- --— Preceding unsigned comment added by Camilo.tejeiro (talk • contribs) 01:50, 27 October 2020 (UTC)