Miraheze supports all browsers which are supported by the version of MediaWiki which Miraheze runs (currently, MediaWiki 1.40.1 (e88ba56)).
MediaWiki divides all web browsers into 3 categories: Grade A (modern browsers, full support), Grade C (basic support), and Grade X (unknown):
- Grade A browsers have MediaWiki's full support and are tested as being able to support all of MediaWiki's core features.
- Grade C browsers are those that do not support some web standards, such as older browsers. MediaWiki attempts to disable some features in an effort to ensure readability of content, but their full support is not guaranteed.
- Grade X browsers are all those browsers that are either no longer supported or have a user base that is too small to focus on. Grade X browsers are treated like Grade A browsers, meaning that MediaWiki does not fall back and disable features like it does for Grade C browsers. This is done deliberately to allow users of modern web browsers without a big user base to experience MediaWiki to the fullest.
Below is a table from MediaWiki.org which explains which browsers fall under what category.
|Browsers||Chrome||Opera||Edge||Edge Legacy||Firefox||Internet Explorer||Safari||iOS||Android|
|Modern (Grade A)||Last three years' versions (2020)||None||Last three years' versions (2020)||None||11.1+ (2018)||11.3+ (2018)||5+ (2014)|
|Basic (Grade C)||31+ (2013)||18+ (2013)||79+ (2020)||12+ (2015)||39+ (2014)||11 (2013)||9.1+ (2015)||9+ (2015)||5+ (2014)[note 1]|
|Unknown (Grade X)||All other browsers|
|Platform||Minimum OS or device||Supported modern browser|
|Android||Moto G (1st generation) (2013)
Google Nexus 4 (2012)
|Android 5.1, Chrome 84+|
|Samsung Galaxy S5 (2014)||Android 6.0, Chrome 84+|
|iOS||iPhone 5s (2013)||iOS Mobile Safari 11.3 - 12 (2018-2023)[note 2]|
|Linux||Debian 10 Buster (2019)||firefox-esr 102, chromium 90|
|Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (2018)||firefox (current), chromium-browser (current)|
|macOS||OS X 10.9 Mavericks (2013-2016)||Firefox 78 ESR (2020). The default Safari 7 is unsupported.|
|macOS 10.13 High Sierra (2017-2020)||Safari 11.1, current Firefox, Chrome 84+|
|macOS 10.15 Catalina (2019-2022)||Safari 13.1, current Firefox, Chrome 84+|
|Windows||Windows 7 (2009-2020)||Edge 84+, current Firefox, Chrome 84+|
List of changes, most recent first:
- As of 2023, the support targets have been re-stated; for Chrome and Chrome-based browsers, this is now the last three years' versions (covering three years rather than three months); for Firefox, this is now the current and previous LTS versions (reaching approximately the same time range). T178356
- As of MediaWiki 1.41, Modern support is removed for Internet Explorer 11, macOS and iOS Safari 9–10, and Firefox 39–53. T178356
- As of MediaWiki 1.39, Basic support is removed for Internet Explorer 9-10, Firefox 27-38, and Android 4.3-4.4 T293298, T297313, T290815
- As of MediaWiki 1.36, Basic support is removed for Firefox 3-26, Internet Explorer 8, Safari 3-8, iOS (Safari) 5-8, Android 3.0-4.2, Chrome 1-30, and Opera 15-18. T248061, T262946, T266866
- As of MediaWiki 1.36, Modern support is removed for Android 4.1-4.2, iOS 6.1-8, and Safari 5.1-8. T266866
- As of MediaWiki 1.35, Basic support is removed for Internet Explorer 6-7 and Android 2. T232563, T249788
- Note this refers to the stock Android browser. For Chrome for Android, provided that you're running Chrome 31+, it requires Android 4.0+(2011).
- iOS 11 dropped support for iPhone 5 and older devices
|No parameters specified|
Further reading[edit | edit source]
- Browser compatibility on MediaWiki.org.