If you have any questions regarding our privacy practices or would like to exercise your privacy rights, please email tswikitide.org.
1. Information collected and how it's used
The personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we ask you to provide your personal information. We retain collected User information indefinitely for archival, restorative, or research purposes. Your personal information is kept private and stored securely until a time it is no longer required or has no use. We also retain individual Usage information for 180 days, after which it is deleted.
1.1. User information
If you so choose, you may create an account on Miraheze. An account is required on some wikis hosted by Miraheze for viewing or editing those wikis. Some features are reserved only for logged-in users, like requesting wikis. At the time of account creation, we collect personal information such as your username and password. Your username will be used to identify you on our Services.
You may also provide additional information, if you so choose, such as your name (legal name or commonly used pseudonym or nom de plume), usernames for external communication services including Discord, pronoun preferences, your email address, or other information, in your user preferences or elsewhere. This information will be public and labeled as such. Your real name may be used to attribute your Contributions.
Please use discretion when sharing personal information on Miraheze. This information may be archived or indexed by third parties and search engines and may appear in search results for search engines.
If you so choose, you may link an email address to your account. An email address may be required on some wikis, or to use some features, but will remain private unless you personally disclose it in a public venue such as a user profile page.
Miraheze may send you emails containing Miraheze-related announcements, notices, and notifications including messages informing you of changes to our Services, new service offerings, or other information related to your use of the Services. You can control what emails you receive through your user preferences though note that you may not opt out of emails related to your use of our Services (e.g. password reset emails).
In addition to the above, users with verified email addresses may communicate with each other. By default, if you have a verified email address, other users may use a Special page ("EmailUser") to send messages to you and vice versa. When you use EmailUser to send a message, Miraheze will send an email to the recipient of your choice which includes your email address and the content you chose to send. Your email address is not revealed when others contact you, but is revealed if you respond to the email. EmailUser functionality may be enabled or disabled on the Preferences page.
1.2. Usage information
Making a contribution (such as an edit) through our Services ("Contributions") creates a public record of every piece of content added, removed, or altered by you. The revision history of every page, including who contributed what at what time, is public, and Miraheze retains this data indefinitely. If you have an account registered with Miraheze, your Contributions will be attributed and associated to your username (or potentially with the "real name" set in your user preferences, if defined). If you are not registered with Miraheze, your Contributions will be associated with your IP Address.
Your Contributions may be visible to the public and may show up on search engines. Even if an article, revision, or any other sort of contribution, is "deleted," it may still be viewable by wiki operators, Miraheze personnel, or vetted volunteers. Aside from the rare times when Miraheze is required to delete content in response to a court order or legal process, there is no guarantee that permanent deletion will occur. Please do not contribute anything that you are uncomfortable making permanently public, like revealing your real name or location in your contributions as this may be copied and redistributed throughout the Internet by other people.
1.3.1. Private wikis
Some wikis choose to restrict who can view the content on that wiki. Miraheze personnel and a small number of vetted volunteers have access to content on private wikis as part of their role in providing our Services. Access to content on private wikis is granted or revoked by the administrators of these wikis. Be aware that the wiki administrators can restrict your access to Contributions you have made on a private wiki, or even make the entire wiki public content.
Like any other website, Miraheze uses "cookies". Cookies are used to store information including visitors' preferences and logged-in status. Cookies are not required to use Miraheze Services but may be required for some functions.
Cookies are used for:
- Accounts - Logging in and using an account requires cookies in order to keep you logged in.
- Analytics - Miraheze collects Usage Information purely for statistical purposes though you may opt out of it by enabling your browser's "Do Not Track" feature. What is collected is governed as described in the section below.
Enabling cookies does not send or disclose your personal information to third parties.
3. Sharing Information with Third Parties
Miraheze is committed to privacy and will never sell your data to advertisers or share your information with third parties without your consent. Some individuals or organizations may have access to user or usage information in order to help us provide our Services or to maximize your experience:
- Personnel – Miraheze personnel and a small number of vetted volunteers may have access to user information as necessary for Miraheze to operate its business and to provide you the Services.
- Analytics - Miraheze may collect, use, and share aggregated and anonymized Usage/User information and statistics derived from these with wiki administrators, users, or other third parties we may choose. The analytical data does not contain personally identifiable information.
- Legal reasons - We may share Usage and/or User information where we believe it to be necessary in order to satisfy or comply with a valid court order, warrant, or subpoena, law or regulation, or other judicial or administrative order. Should your data be shared in order to comply with an aforementioned circumstance, we will notify you, via email, within fourteen (14) business days unless we are either barred from doing so by court order, we believe there to be a credible risk of harm to life or limb by disclosing the request, or you do not have a verified email address on your account.
- Protect Miraheze and others - Miraheze may use or share Usage and/or User information if it is deemed necessary in order to protect Miraheze or others from legal threats, threats of harm, or to protect ourselves, users, or others from any other sort of threat. We may also disclose this information if we reasonably believe, in good faith, that it is necessary in order to detect, prevent, or otherwise assess and address potential spam, malware, fraud, abuse, unlawful activity, and security or technical concerns.
- Service providers - Miraheze may share User or Usage information, where required, with third-party service providers in order to provide our Services.
- Transfer of operations – If Miraheze's operations are transferred to another organization, Miraheze will transfer any User Information it has in its possession to the other company as part of the sale or transfer of the company or assets.
4. Data protection rights
We would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request copies of your personal data.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that we correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request that we complete the information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that we erase your personal data, under certain conditions. Note that Contributions made are not subject to this clause as they are governed by applicable content license contract under which you submitted the data. In particular, you should be aware that most Creative Commons licenses require that attribution to the author of the content is provided.
- The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request that we transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you make a request, we have one (1) month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us.
5. Children's Information
We encourage parents and guardians to observe, participate in, and/or monitor and guide their children's online activity.
Miraheze does not knowingly collect any Personal Identifiable Information from children under the age of 13, nor do we market services for them or target them for data collection. If you think that your child provided this kind of information on our website, we strongly encourage you to contact us immediately and we will make our best effort to promptly remove such information from our records.
6.1. Security breaches
Should a security breach at Miraheze occur in which your personal information is exposed, Miraheze will notify you of this and will issue a public disclosure. If you have an email address registered and verified with us, we will send you a notification via email.
7. Transfer of Information Across Borders
Your information may be transferred to, and maintained on, servers and databases located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as in your jurisdiction. Please be advised that we may transfer your information to and from any state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction, and process it in the United States or elsewhere. By using the Services, you consent to any such transfer of your information.
The last revision was made 2024-02-11.