- For requests, please e-mail
stewards[at]miraheze[dot]org. Do NOT post suppression requests on-wiki! You will only draw more attention to what you want suppressed.
Suppression (also known as oversight) is a special MediaWiki function that allows Stewards and Trust and Safety to delete and suppress pages, revisions, log entries, and files from the view of users and administrators.
Unlike normal deletion or revision deletion where pages, log entries and revisions are hidden from users but not local wiki administrators, suppression completely suppresses these and removes them from local administrators' view too, thus completely suppressing and hiding anything from the public's view. This is used in cases such as where non-public personal information is shared along with other select cases.
Please email stewardsmiraheze.org or privately contact a steward. Please do not request this on-wiki, that may only draw further attention to what you want suppressed.
Suppression is used primarily for the removal of non-public personal information, such as phone numbers, home addresses, workplaces or identities of pseudonymous or anonymous individuals who have not made their identity public. This includes hiding the IP data of editors who accidentally logged out and thus inadvertently revealed their own IP addresses as well as the IP data of editors without an account on request. Suppression is a tool of first resort in removing this information.
Note: This may include other potentially identifying or otherwise sensitive information, subject to suppressor discretion.
It may also be used in the following circumstances, subject to Suppressor discretion:
- Removal of potentially libelous information, either: a) when requested to Trust and Safety or Stewards; or b) when the case is clear, and there is no editorial reason to keep the revision.
- Removal of copyright infringement, when requested to Trust and Safety.
- Hiding of blatant attack names on automated lists and logs, where this does not disrupt edit histories. A blatant attack is one obviously intended to denigrate, threaten, libel, insult, or harass someone.
- This should only be done on accounts that are also worthy of a lock.
- Removal of vandalism. Suppression may be occasionally used to remove vandalism for which removal by normal administrative measures is insufficient. Cases of vandalism should be discussed internally before being suppressed, unless they are particularly extreme or time-sensitive, in which cases they can be discussed after.
- Suppression may be used for other reasons. We are not likely to make other exceptions, but reserve the right to do so.
Much like CheckUser, local suppressors may be appointed on wikis by their local community following a local election that fulfills all the requirements for steward. Stewards also require there always be a second locally appointed suppressor in order to balance each other out. Should there ever only be one suppressor instead of two, the local community must seek a replacement for the other suppressor immediately and that candidate must also fulfill all requirements laid out in this section. Should they fail to find a replacement, the remaining suppressor will lose their flag. All elections for this right will be under high scrutiny and supervision by Stewards to ensure compliance with all global policies.