Here you can:
User "Olivebuilder" seems to be here solely to plant advertisements and not to advance the goals of the wiki farm.04:34 13-Oct-2017
- Thanks for spotting that. I have blocked the user. Reception123 (talk) (C) 13:36, 13 October 2017 (UTC)
Update the list of administrators of Meta[edit source]
I recently tried to get some changes done on meta and I received this response:
It happens that some sysadmins are also Meta administrators (like myself), in that case they would be acting in their capacity as a Meta administrator and not a sysadmin. Reception123 (talk) (C) 15:35, 10 October 2017 (UTC)
Please update this page:
to make that more clear.
Can you point me to the page that describes how someone becomes a meta administrator and how you challenge their decisions?
- There's no formal policy on administrators on meta. Users can gain permissions at Meta:Requests for permissions. Challenging decisions is done the same way as everything else - discussing. Administrators have no rule of law, their comments are opinions and carry the same weight as everyone elses unless they're enforcing one of the relatively few policies that exist on Meta. John (talk) 11:22, 18 October 2017 (UTC)
- In addition, I think that we should discuss having some guidelines for what pages should exist on Meta, so that we stay consistent. This should be discussed by the users. To clarify again, my comments about the page were just my opinion as a user, not as an administrator, and they were just suggestions. I make these suggestions, because as I said above I'm trying to keep pages on Meta consistent with each other, and their style. If we have different pages set up differently and named differently, it can become confusing for users to find them. Reception123 (talk) (C) 05:26, 19 October 2017 (UTC)
Rewritten FAQs[edit source]
I had wanted FAQ to reference the new Gazetteer of wikis (inspired by Community noticeboard#Wiki Creation Collaboration Idea) but FAQ is protected against editing. I took a copy, at User:Spike the Dog/FAQ, fleshed out some sections, eliminated duplication, and provided new material, such as:
- What a wiki is
- Overview of CSS/JS
- How MediaWiki extensions work.
Would you please evaluate these edits and, if suitable, install this version?11:36 19-Oct-2017
- I've gone ahead and done a major update to FAQ, largely using your work. You could probably diff your FAQ and the current FAQ to see that I've made a couple of small edits. Mostly just replacing a little bit of odd wording, the thing about nobody knowing how to pronounce Miraheze (I also changed that to a permlink), and I replaced several instances of Stewards with sysadmin since they're different. -- Cheers, NDKilla ( Talk • Contribs ) 15:49, 19 October 2017 (UTC)
Thank you very much! It might look better to use __TOC__ so that the Intro is what the reader sees first, rather than the entire Table of Contents. And to be really nitpicky, the Main Page does nothing hopefully. You may delete the version in my userspace if you like.16:06 19-Oct-2017
Okay, but if dismissable site notices are only available globally, then you want to delete the paragraph after that one too. Also, you changed "More complicated changes" to "Other changes not listed" (for changes that require a request). But they are listed, further on down the page. My strategy was to have a section of the things a wiki owner could do himself, followed by the things that have to be done for him. That we hope, for the future, to move items from the second group into the first won't be relevant to the reader of this page.16:50 19-Oct-2017
Rename Part-up wiki[edit source]
- Can you make this request on phabricator? This noticeboard is for matters involving metawiki only (and your request should be tracked properly anyway). -- Void Whispers 20:50, 20 October 2017 (UTC)
Uncyclopedia interwiki[edit source]
- In 2013, Uncyclopedia (uncyclopedia.wikia.com) forked into two projects. The Fork (en.uncyclopedia.co) started a campaign to induce as many wikis as possible to point to it rather than the original site on the basis that "the community has moved" and the original site was "unused and abandoned." Requestor remained on the original site, became an Admin just after the split and is now a bureaucrat on sabbatical. My opinion is that, in the intervening years, the Wikia site has valued the reader while the Fork site has been operated for the sake of the authors. In the cases where the content is not identical, the Wikia site is better maintained and has more mature and entertaining content. Your call; but at the least, the arguments given for the original switch are not truth but one side's spin.
Reception123 granted the request for my own TheMirror wiki but the global issue is unresolved and the Phabricator task remains open. 12:08 17-Nov-2017