MediaWiki 1.40 is the current stable version of MediaWiki which was released in June 2023. Miraheze upgraded to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.40 on 22 October 2023.
Upgrade schedule[edit | edit source]
Miraheze upgraded to MediaWiki 1.40 on 21 October 2023, between 22:00 UTC and 02:00 UTC of 22 October 2023.
User-facing changes[edit | edit source]
Interface changes[edit | edit source]
- Vector 2022 will receive more styling changes - A very highly requested feature was the ability to toggle screen width size. With this new update, users are able to choose between a narrow article body or a wide body which encompasses the entire screen.
- ManageWiki now features a search option - Gone are the days of having to tediously look for extensions and settings! Now, you can simply type the name of the extension or setting you're looking for, in the search bar, and you'll quickly be able to manage it.
- User preferences now features a search bar - Quickly find the user setting you're looking for with this new feature.
- Special:Search can now display thumbnails from articles. A user preference is available for you to choose whether you want to employ this feature or not.
Extension removals[edit | edit source]
- Add HTML Meta And Title was removed - This extension does not work on MediaWiki 1.40. WikiSEO was based off this extension and is enabled by default on all wikis. Please use WikiSEO as an alternative.
- HitCounters will be removed (tentatively) - This extension has been disabled for over a year now due to a severe performance issues.
- RegexFunctions was removed - This extension has been disabled for over a year now due to a very severe security issue and has not been fixed.
- Renameuser was removed - This extension has been merged into MediaWiki core.
Poweruser focused changes[edit | edit source]
- Matrix now a default protocol (T326021) - This means you can now use
matrix://to invoke Matrix clients.
$wgWatchlistExpiryMaxDurationhas been increased to 1 year - This setting controls the maximum allowed duration for users to set their temporary watchlist entries for expiry.
Developer-focused/other technical changes[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
- Thanks was made a default extension - MediaWiki 1.40 bundles the Thanks extension into core which means all wikis will see a new "thank" button next to log actions following the upgrade. Wiki administrators may disable this as they please.
- Linter was bundled with MediaWiki core.
- New way to secure your account through two-factor authentication - Miraheze now supports WebAuthn. WebAuthn allows you to set a second layer of authentication on your account which requires you to either have a physical security key or, on certain devices, enter your device's password or PIN, in order to login.
- Minimum password length will increase - MediaWiki 1.40 has elevated the minimum password length. Now, all users must have a password that is at least 8 characters long. The previous default on Miraheze 6 characters.