This page documents a global Miraheze policy. This policy follows consensus and/or guidelines set by global functionaries. All Miraheze users should follow it, and changes made to it should be discussed on the talk page. In the event of any differences in meaning between the original English version and a translation, the original English version takes precedence.
Global Rollbackers (
global-rollbacker) are trusted users with a track record in counter vandalism who help Global Sysops and Stewards revert cross wiki spam and vandalism. They are a part of the Counter Vandalism Team in monitoring wikis for spam and vandalism.
Unlike Global Sysops, Global Rollbackers cannot issue blocks or locks. Global Rollbackers only have basic rights which allow them to revert vandalism on wikis. They have the ability to quickly revert all edits by a single contributor on a single page. As with Global Sysops, they do not have access to CheckUser, Oversight, nor can they read private wikis, all functions reserved for Stewards who have full access to all parts of the MediaWiki interface.
If you have an issue with an action made by a Global Rollbacker, please email cvtmiraheze.org or start a new discussion on the Stewards' noticeboard.
Local interference[edit | edit source]
Global Rollbackers should only act where there is clear spam or vandalism (this includes Meta) and should leave any more complicated matters to Stewards and Global Sysops as well as alert them of any offending users that need to be locally blocked or globally locked or local pages which may need to be deleted along with other actions.
Technical capabilities[edit | edit source]
Global Rollbackers have the ability to do the following on all wikis:
- View the abuse log
- View detailed abuse log entries
- Not be affected by IP-based rate limits
- Have one's own edits automatically marked as patrolled
- Edit pages protected as "Allow only autoconfirmed users"
- Mark rolled-back edits as bot edits
- Mark edits as minor
- Move pages
- Not have minor edits to discussion pages trigger the new messages prompt
- Not be affected by rate limits
- View recent changes patrol marks
- Quickly rollback the edits of the last user who edited a particular page
- Perform CAPTCHA-triggering actions without having to go through the CAPTCHA
- Not create redirects from source pages when moving pages
Eligibility[edit | edit source]
Global Rollbackers are elected by users. However, the following conditions must be met in order for the user to be eligible for the role. If these conditions are not met, the user may not be a candidate for Global Rollbacker and any support votes will not matter. A candidate must:
- Have at least 500 total global edits on Miraheze (on more than one wiki, unless that wiki is Meta Wiki) (Note: These edits may not consist of directly copy/pasting content from other wikis, they must be edits done by the user);
- Have had their Miraheze account for at least 2 months; and,
- Be involved in some way in community matters (in discussions on Community noticeboard and Stewards' noticeboard, etc.)
Appointment[edit | edit source]
To be appointed Global Rollbacker, a request needs to be made at Requests for global permissions. The community can discuss (support/oppose/abstain/comment) the request. The request will be considered successful if:
- at least 7 users share their view
- there is a support ratio of at least 80%
- a period of one week has passed since it started
Revocation[edit | edit source]
Inactivity[edit | edit source]
Global Rollbackers who do not participate in Global Rollbacker duties in some form (countervandalism, reporting, etc.) for 3 months will be deemed inactive and have their Global Rollbacker rights revoked by a Steward.
Votes of no confidence[edit | edit source]
The global community can initiate a vote of no confidence or a request of removal at any time. In order for it to pass:
- at least 5 users share their view
- there must be a support ratio of at least 50%
- a period of one week must have passed since it started
A vote of no confidence or request for removal must include a reason for why users are requesting the removal of a Global Rollbacker member, and it is not determined solely by the number of votes.
Emergency revocation[edit | edit source]
In the case of a blatant misuse of rights or an abuse of power, a Steward may remove a user from Global Rollbacker at their discretion without a community vote. If this happens, the user must undergo a no-confidence vote while their rights are temporarily removed, and their rights may only be added back if the no-confidence vote does not pass. This should only be used in extreme cases and should not substitute a no-confidence vote in non-urgent situations.
Readdition of rights[edit | edit source]
If a Global Rollbacker has their rights revoked for any reason, they must make a successful request that satisfies the criteria above in order to regain the rights.
List of Global Rollbackers[edit | edit source]
- Page last updated: 08 July 2023
- Total number of Global Rollbackers: 2
|Libera Chat nickname on IRC
|patroller, wiki creator
Timeline of past and current Global Rollbackers[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
The following Requests for Comment have shaped this policy:
- Requests for Comment/Global rollbackers (created the role) (September 2022)