Please note: this Extensions page is still not an exhaustive list of all extensions currently enabled on Miraheze. For the complete list, please see the Extensions folder of Miraheze's MediaWiki repository on GitHub and Special:ManageWiki/extensions, though the latter will not list the mandatory, global extensions.
This is a list of most extensions installed on Miraheze, sorted by three categories: global extensions that are enabled on every wiki that cannot be disabled (and a brief reason why), default extensions that are enabled on new wikis by default but can be disabled, and extensions that are not enabled by default but can be enabled on individual wikis. This page also includes some of those extensions which have been requested but cannot be installed, and a brief reason as to why.
Alcune estensioni sono abilitate di default in tutti i Wiki Miraheze e non possono essere disabilitate dai wiki locali. Queste estensioni sono elencate di seguito, con una breve ragione del perché sono globali.
- AbuseFilter – Important anti-spam and anti-vandalism extension; allows administrators to prevent edits meeting certain regular expressions
- AntiSpoof – Prevents impersonation user accounts from being created
- BetaFeatures – Beta Features are installed globally but can be turned off in one's individual user preferences
- CentralAuth – Defines the global user account system, without it user accounts would break
- CentralNotice – Used for distribution of important notices about Miraheze, such as planned downtime
- CheckUser – Important anti-vandalism extension that allows Miraheze Stewards to find and block the underlying IP ranges of vandalism accounts
- CreateWiki – This is how new wikis are created (perhaps the most important extension!). Installed globally but only used on Meta. The extension is enabled globally due to technical reasons as ManageWiki requires this extension and wikis will break if it is not enabled.
- CookieWarning – Required for legal/privacy reasons
- ConfirmEdit – Important anti-spam tool, generates a CAPTCHA to prevent unauthorized automated actions
- DataDump – Enables backups to be taken from wikis
- DiscordNotifications – Is used to log edits to #wiki-feed on discord
- DismissableSiteNotice – Makes sitenotices dismissable
- Echo – This extension implements the user notification system
- EventLogging – Required dependency for CentralNotice
- EventStreamConfig – Required dependency for EventLogging
- GlobalBlocking – Important anti-spam and anti-vandalism extension, allows Miraheze Stewards and Global Sysops to block IP addresses that vandalize multiple wikis
- GlobalCssJS – Part of the global account system, allows users to have custom interface styling applied to all wikis
- GlobalNewFiles –
- GlobalPreferences – Part of the global account system, allows users to have default preferences (settings) on all wikis
- Interwiki – Used to provide direct links from one Miraheze Wiki to another, and to other MediaWiki sites (such as these links to MediaWiki.org)
- LocalisationUpdate – Essential/core part of MediaWiki interface
- LoginNotify – Important security feature, notifies users about suspicious attempts to login to their accounts
- ManageWiki – The extension used for managing wiki settings, including extensions. Turning this off would remove the ability to enable/disable other extensions
- MatomoAnalytics – Internal Miraheze extension
- MobileDetect – Adds
- Nuke – Important anti-vandalism extension, allows site administrators to mass delete multiple pages at once
- OATHAuth – Important security feature, used for implementing 2-factor authentication
- OAuth – Internal Miraheze extension, used for linking wiki accounts with accounts for Miraheze Phabricator
- ParserFunctions – Essential/core part of MediaWiki interface
- RemovePII – Enables removing private information
- RenameUser – Implements the ability for Miraheze Stewards to rename user accounts on request (otherwise this would be impossible)
- RottenLinks – Internal Miraheze extension that checks for dead or broken external links on wiki pages
- Scribunto – Essential/core part of MediaWiki interface
- SecureLinkFixer – Make sure all wikis using HTTPS
- SpamBlacklist – Important anti-spam feature, allows administrators to blacklist spam websites from being mentioned
- TitleBlacklist – Important anti-vandalism extension, allows administrators to prevent pages with certain titles and certain usernames from being created
- TorBlock – Important anti-vandalism and anti-spam extension, prevents vandals from using Tor to rapidly change IP addresses
- UserMerge – Allows Miraheze Stewards to merge contributions of one user account into another. Not used frequently but is used for various maintenance purposes
- WikiDiscover – Internal Miraheze extension that shows all Miraheze wikis with some general information about them
- WikiEditor – Essential/core part of MediaWiki interface
- CLDR – Provides localised language names based on CLDR data
These extensions are enabled by default on all new wikis but can be disabled in Special:ManageWiki/extensions:
- CategoryTree – Popular extension used by multiple wikis
- Cite & CiteThisPage – Important and popular extension used for generating citations for wiki pages
- DarkMode – Enables a dark user interface. Used for accessibility reasons and for personal preferences
- GlobalUserPage – Allows users to display the content from their userpage on Miraheze Login Wiki on all wikis if they have not created a local userpage
- MobileFrontend – Important MediaWiki feature for wikis that wish to support editing from mobile devices (which is the vast majority of wikis)
- Purge – Adds in a purge button instead of needing to edit the URL to have "?action=purge"
- SyntaxHighlight – Highlights syntax
- UrlShortener – Adds the Get shortened URL to the sidebar
- WikiSEO – Improves search results to the wiki
These extensions are installed on Miraheze and can be enabled in Special:ManageWiki/extensions on any wiki but are not enabled by default:
Many extensions have been requested but are not able to be installed for various reasons. The most common reasons are that the extension introduces security and/or privacy risks that cannot be mitigated, that the extension is not being actively maintained upstream, or that the extension conflicts with a global extension that cannot be removed. The following is a list of declined extensions, and a brief reason why they are declined.
- AccessControl – Privacy issues, extension has a warning about leaks of confidential information
- BlockBatch – Not actively maintained, see T7303
- BlueSpice – Rischio di sicurezza
- Configure – No longer maintained upstream (hasn't worked since MediaWiki 1.18), and ManageWiki essentially does the same thing
- ConfirmAccount – Incompatible with CentralAuth - Since user accounts exist globally it is not possible to have individual wikis require accounts be approved
- DeleteBatch – Technical limitations, see T956
- DisableAccount – Security issues, allowing unauthorized users to permanently disable other user accounts
- Drafts – Not actively maintained; no known alternative
- EditAccount – Security issues, allowing unauthorized users to change another user's email or password, or permanently disable their account
- EditUser – Security issues, allowing unauthorized users to change another user's preferences
- EmbedAnything – Rischio di sicurezza
- ExternalLinks – Rischio di sicurezza, vedi T1555
- Globaluserrights – Incompatible with Special:CentralAuth
- Html2Wiki - Unreadable code making a review by Miraheze technical volunteers difficult, see T2740
- Html5mediator – Declinato a causa di problemi di sicurezza (inserimento arbitrario di JS), T1640.
- Lockdown – Extension has the same warning about privacy leaks as AccessControl
- Markdown – Not actively maintained upstream
- MiniInvite – Rischio di sicurezza
- MultiUpload – Not maintained upstream. You can use MsUpload, which provides similar functionality.
- OpenID Connect – Rischio di sicurezza
- PageViewInfo – Incompatible with Miraheze, specific for Wikimedia
- Replace Text – Incompatible with database compression
- PluggableAuth – Rischio di sicurezza
- SecurePoll – Reveals private information
- Site settings – ManageWiki does the same thing (actually even more), and up until recently this extension had a major security flaw
- SpecialNamespaces – ManageWikiNamespaces does the same thing.
- Tasks Extension – Flagged as unstable, indicating one or more parts, or even the entire extension, is broken
- UseResource - Use GlobalCssJS, TemplateStyles and CSS instead
- UserGroups – ManageWikiPermissions does the same thing
- mw:Special:MyLanguage/Extension:WantedPagesFromNS – Not actively maintained upstream (latest stable version from 2014, no human updates to code in over 2 years)
- Widgets – Security risk, see 2020-12-23 Security Disclosure
- WikiBanner – We don't accept ads
- Extensions made by Fandom without independent documentation on mediawiki.org—such as Special:Withoutimages, MediaWiki:ImportJS, and Special:AdminDashboard—and considered too specific for Fandom. Use similar extensions instead.
- Requesting new extensions: If you would like to request a new extension, please create a task on Phabricator. Please be aware that any extensions which are not in use by one or more Wikimedia Foundation projects will require a security review before being installed. The purpose of this review is to check the code to make sure there are no vulnerabilities that would expose either Miraheze as a whole and/or individual users of the extension to security and/or privacy risks.
- Estensioni limitate: Alcune estensioni nella lista delle estensioni abilitate globalmente sono limitate e non possono essere usate da wiki e utenti individuali, e possono essere usate esclusivamente dai membri dello Staff di Miraheze - sia Stewards e/o Amministratori di sistema. Questo è di solito per una o entrambe le seguenti ragioni: l'estensione rivela informazioni private che in molte circostanze non dovrebbero essere accessibili, ma potrebbe essere necessario accedervi per fermare lo spam e il vandalismo; e/o l'estensione ha effetti sul funzionamento generale di Miraheze e quindi l'uso dell'estensione al di fuori di Meta Wiki romperebbe le cose.
- Note about MultiUpload: This extension is no longer being actively maintained upstream and therefore is unsuitable for Miraheze. However, users who are familiar with another wiki hosting service, ShoutWiki, may be aware that the extension in use there. The extension is only being maintained as a local copy by ShoutWiki developers for their specific service, and even these developers have indicated that they will not continue to maintain it if it ultimately breaks down. Therefore, please use MsUpload instead, which provides similar functionality.