This policy outlines the types of content that Miraheze is not willing to host. Wiki creators and wiki administrators are expected to know this policy, and ensure that their wikis do not fall outside the bounds of these rules. This policy is intended for wiki leadership -- ordinary wiki editors should follow the content policies of the wikis on which they edit.
- The primary purpose of your wiki cannot be for commercial activity.
- Miraheze is not a free hosting service for spam and SEO, either. However, you can have limited fundraiser-type sales or provide an informational site supporting a commercial activity (for instance, a wiki describing characters from a commercial work of fiction).
- Using a third-party advertising network to display advertising is prohibited on Miraheze.
- Miraheze does not host any content that is illegal in the Netherlands or California
- This includes sales of various forms of contraband (ivory, fissionable material, roofies), incitement to violence, or underage nudity. While we expect wiki administrators to help police this, Miraheze reserves the right to delete illegal content without prior notice.
- Under the DMCA, Miraheze must remove material reported as infringing copyright, but the editor or administrators may file a counter-notice if the content is not, in fact, infringement. To file a DMCA Takedown Request, send an email to wiki-abusemiraheze.org.
- A wiki must not create problems which make it difficult for other wikis.
- Things which have a tendency to draw unwelcome attention to the wiki farm, such as hate speech, routine denial of service attacks, excessively violent content, or places in which illegal activity is discussed can create conditions that penalize other wikis, either in SEO, domain blacklisting, downtime, or excessive Miraheze staff time usage, especially in terms of policing content or insuring system stability.
- If we believe that your wiki proposal will hinder other wikis, we may decline your request. Additionally, we may suspend your wiki if these problems occur later, though this is very rare.
- Miraheze may delete unused and empty wikis
- You can ask for an exception to this, if necessary. See Dormancy Policy.
- Miraheze is permitted to redistribute your content
- By hosting your wiki on Miraheze, you grant a limited, worldwide license to redistribute content from your wiki to the users you permit to access your site and to Miraheze personnel. This is to ensure that Miraheze can provide service. Creative Commons licenses, which are commonly used on our wikis, grant more rights. For more detail on content licenses, see Changing your wiki license.
- Public wikis should develop a content policy
- This page is a bare minimum of what Miraheze will accept on our network. Most wikis will want to keep their content focused on a particular topic, and may want to limit "off-topic" discussion to varying degrees. For this reason, most wikis will want content policies more restrictive than what is presented here.
If Miraheze suspends public access to your wiki for any reason, we will preserve your content whenever legally and technically possible.
Effective date of this policy: This policy became effective on January 1, 2017.
In the event of any differences in meaning between the original English version and a translation, the original English version takes precedence.