Community noticeboard/Archive 27

From Meta
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Archive This page is an archive. Do not edit the contents of this page. Please direct any additional comments to the current talk page.


My talk page goes haywire

This is Katsumi, an admin from Crappy Games Wiki.

It seems my talk page has gone haywire of some sort. I've tried to add this topic to my talk page...

Title: CGW admins visited Hololive Wiki?
Content (in wikitext):

So, I've played a bit with [[Special:CentralAuth]].

It seems that some of CGW's admins have visited [[mh:hololive:Main Page|Hololive Wiki]]<sup>(me included)</sup>.

I know that [[Blog:On MSI jumping on the VTuber bandwagon|the whole VTuber thing is a sensitive topic on the wiki]], but still, I'm very curious about why some of the admins are simping Hololive girls.

{| class="wikitable"
!|Admins
!|Visited
!|Blocked
!|Edits
!|Groups
|-
|[[User:Allistayrian|Allistayrian]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol support vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|0
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|-
|[[User:AlvaroNovaes-BR|AlvaroNovaes-BR]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol support vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|0
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|-
|[[User:Blazikeye535|Blazikeye535]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| colspan="3" |''No information''
|-
|[[User:DarkMatterMan4500|DarkMatterMan4500]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol support vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|0
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|-
|[[User:Katsumi a.k.a. Upperdecker2562|Katsumi]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol support vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|1
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|-
|[[User:Kringe|Kringe]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| colspan="3" |''No information''
|-
|[[User:LuigiMan050-5|LuigiMan050-5]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| colspan="3" |''No information''
|-
|[[User:Mr. Dready|Mr. Dready]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol support vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|0
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|-
|[[User:PlantyB0i|PlantyB0i]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| colspan="3" |''No information''
|-
|[[User:Raidarr|Raidarr]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol support vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|0
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|-
|[[User:Remely1000|Remely1000]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| colspan="3" |''No information''
|-
|[[User:SuperStreetKombat|SuperStreetKombat]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| colspan="3" |''No information''
|-
|[[User:TigerBlazer|TigerBlazer]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol support vote.svg|20px|link=]]
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|0
| style="text-align:center;" |[[File:Symbol oppose vote.svg|20px|link=]]
|}

You know what they say...
{{Quote|Weebs tend to be weird. What did you expect?|[[User:Allistayrian|Allistayrian]]}}

~~~~

If I tell it to parse and render the following text, it outputs this message...

Unable to transfer content: Error contacting the server for conversion between wikitext and HTML. Please check your Internet connection or try again later if the problem persists. If you still get this error please file a bug

and if I try to add the topic, it gives me an error...

Caught exception of type Flow\Exception\NoParserException

However, if I try to create a topic with much fewer characters (about 10-30 characters), it accepts that. Strange...

Is it because of the recent update? 🦖️ my Name is Katsumi(BA↗RI↘BA↗RI↘)
KamenRiderRevice-logo.webp talk
KamenRiderRevice-logo.webp contributions
03:26, 3 January 2022 (UTC)
It works for me, so its probably about the wikitext entered in your topic  Anpang📨  03:49, 3 January 2022 (UTC)
Your "test" is 192 characters long. Mine is 371, approximately twice as long as your "test". 🦖️ my Name is Katsumi(BA↗RI↘BA↗RI↘) 04:11, 3 January 2022 (UTC)
Mathematically speaking, 192 to 370 is exactly one time higher, being not that far off, particularly in terms of characters. On the subject of the bug, he claims it is caused by your connection. Anyway, if this persists, I suggest opening a ticket in the phabricator because the extension. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 04:35, 3 January 2022 (UTC)
Geeze, the signature formatting in this section... Anyway, I tested locally with a block of my own and your post, and the issue here is either temporary or local. At this point issues actually don't have much to do with the version upgrade. Rather the migrations Miraheze is performing to new hardware, which started not long after the update. While it may have been your connection, I can't rule out that you might have been struck with one of the temporary glitches Found the error, investigating locally. Per the local post, all I can advise right now is patience; unless a persistent bug can be reported, Miraheze Tech is not well equipped to resolve the various phantom issues that are occurring around this time. They are inevitable during the upgrade process, which from what I hear can/will extend into early next month. --Raidarr (talk) 10:25, 3 January 2022 (UTC)
Upon conferring with SRE and doing more tests, the trouble is images. The migrations I mentioned above have specifically made images the most unstable part of Miraheze right now, and trying to post the images into a dynamic form like StructuredDiscussions will cause it to fail. I'd suggest making the post without them and being light on their use in general until the migration is complete and SRE gives word to that effect. Issue is known and basically unfixable right now; no point filing a phab task unless SRE advises it in this thread. --Raidarr (talk) 10:57, 3 January 2022 (UTC)

Upcoming changes and performance issues

Valued Miraheze community members,

As you all know very well, Miraheze's commitment to our users is to provide the best MediaWiki hosting for free. In keeping with that commitment, Miraheze is pleased to announce our newest data centre, SCSVG! Instead of renting out servers, Miraheze will finally own it's own hardware for the first time ever. With the addition of this data centre to our server lineup, we will be able to offer our users a much better, faster and smoother experience. For more information on this, please checkout this Phabricator post.

In light of that, we have begun the migration process to our new servers. As you all probably know, Miraheze has faced some performance issues these past few months as we've outgrown our current servers. These new servers will hopefully resolve most if not all of the issues we've faced in the past few months regarding performance (including 502 "Bad Gateway" and 503 "Backend fetch failed" errors). In the process of migrating however, you will likely notice (and probably already have noticed) degraded performance and increased error rates. The migration has exacerbated our current performance issues as, on top of having to serve normal user traffic, some of our current servers are now also copying their files over to the new servers which means that there's an increased strain on them. This means you may notice 502 and 503 errors on some pages which loaded before, especially those pages with lots of images or templates. During this period too, we may need to temporarily suspend some actions such as image-related actions and wiki requests/creations. During this migration period, it may become necessary to temporarily disrupt some processes such as image related actions and wiki creations/changes. It too may be necessary to temporarily disrupt service completely or place wikis on read-only mode. Should this be necessary (we will try to avoid any and all service disruption where possible), we will inform the community with a weeks notice before the disruption occurs.

We know how inconvenient this may be but our hope is that with these changes, we will hopefully resolve all (or at least most) of the performance issues which have plagued Miraheze for these past few months. As always, we thank you for being part of the Miraheze community and we hope to be able to serve you all better in 2022. If you have any questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to reply to this thread or ask on our Discord/IRC channels.

On behalf of Site Reliability Engineering,
Agent Isai (talk) 09:59, 3 January 2022 (UTC)

Thank you very much for the message. This has answered to my question. Kind regards. Hugo Ar (talk) 12:24, 3 January 2022 (UTC)
Is there a specific time of the day when the servers are less busy? I need to make approximately 200 edits (with responsible pause between them, e.g. 60 seconds) that update Cargo tables (this wiki has software documentation, and new version of this software was released today). Edward Chernenko (talk) 15:13, 3 January 2022 (UTC)
@Edward Chernenko: Server performance issues are generally random and are not always tied to server busyness or idleness so we can't really give a timeframe for when it would be best for you to do those edits. Agent Isai Talk to me! 15:19, 3 January 2022 (UTC)
Glad you noticed this error, which happens every day (and complicates saving edits). And we hope to get a new server in 2022, as promised. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 15:36, 3 January 2022 (UTC)
It's a good thing Miraheze is improving its servers, since Miraheze is the last good wiki host left. Also it is good that this is supposed to be finished by the end of January. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 22:23, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
Yes, and we can see more about that at our blog --YellowFrogger (Talk) 22:32, 4 January 2022 (UTC)

Yet another interwiki request

At this writing, the Constant Noble site is missing wmf (foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/$1), a relic from my 2010s Referata tenure. Hopefully my pledge to receive interwiki adminship doesn't go unnoticed this time here... Routhwick (talk) 09:12, 4 January 2022 (UTC)

Routhwick Agent Isai has done the interwiki prefix for you, but what do you mean by your pledge to receive interwiki adminship doesn't go unoticed? Have you posted an election request on Constant Noble Wiki for local interwiki administrator, to be granted by Stewards? Dmehus (talk) 09:20, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
So far, I have been the only editor on my wiki (out of 29 registered users). --Routhwick (talk) 09:39, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
Routhwick, oh, have you started a local permissions request or election for local interwiki administrator yet? Note that you are not required to have any persons express a view. An election by acclamation is possible. You just need to start the permissions election request locally, then wait about 5-7 calendar days, then head to here. Dmehus (talk) 09:46, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
Not yet. So how exactly do I go ahead? (I'm assuming I'd have to do it in the Project namespace, right?) --Routhwick (talk) 10:04, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
Routhwick, yeah, you could create like a page called Permissions requests or something, in Project: namespace, then have sections for each type of local permission and who grants them and any local prerequisites/conditions you want to have. Then you could make subpages for each of those local user groups, and transclude them on your Permissions requests page. Dmehus (talk) 10:27, 4 January 2022 (UTC)

How can I add collapsible blocks?

How can I add collapsible blocks in my wiki, like that: https://trimirdi.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:Randomsidebar ?

Thanks. RedFox (talk) 14:06, 4 January 2022 (UTC)

I saw that there is a failed TemplateStyles tag up there. First, you will have to add the extension "TemplateStyles" in Special:ManageWiki/extensions of your wiki. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 16:13, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
I saw in Special:Version that it is active, you will have to create the page "Module:Sidebar/styles.css". --YellowFrogger (Talk) 16:17, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
Is it possible to add collapsible text without using CSS? RedFox (talk) 17:13, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
Hello RedFox. I already spoke with your coworker about this. Please read this. Some configuration details are missing. In Phabricator there are specialized people trained to solve it. Create an account there and explain what happens. There are more details in the link. Kind regards. Hugo Ar (talk) 18:20, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
Hello, @Hugo Ar, thanks for your answer, I'm not sure that's what I need, see my answer to @YellowFrogger. RedFox (talk) 19:11, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
@RedFox: Do not worry. You don't need to know CSS, just copy the content from Wikipedia, it will work on your wiki. Try this. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 18:26, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
@YellowFrogger, I don't want to use any content from Wikipedia for the moment, my goal is like that: I'm going to create a collection of math problems with their solutions. Some people might want to solve the problems by themselves, so they won't want to see the solutions and the answers immediately. So, I need collapsible text paragraphs which people can open in they want. Is there an easy way to do it? RedFox (talk) 19:05, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
@RedFox: Delete this page here and restore it with the same content. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 18:34, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
@RedFox Would this page about collapsible elements help you for what you want to do? Basically you would add the mw-collapsible class to what you want to be collapsible. K599 (talk) 20:45, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
That's what I need, thanks! RedFox (talk) 14:35, 5 January 2022 (UTC)

IP Masking

Hi. The WMF is going to hide IP addresses of unregistered users. What will be its effects on Miraheze? --Magogre (talk) 03:07, 6 January 2022 (UTC)

Magogre “MediaWiki docs don't make it clear if it'll be togglable for on MediaWiki or what the default behavior is so frankly, I don't know the impact it'll have on us” -- Agent Isai --YellowFrogger (Talk) 03:26, 6 January 2022 (UTC)
There are a lot of questions that I'd have about this feature that just are not documented yet, so it's hard to say until this feature is actually implemented. I suspect we'll have to wait for it to be fully released before we can make any decisions, and then, I'm pretty sure we'll have an RfC to determine how exactly this feature will be used on Miraheze. -- Void Whispers 04:22, 6 January 2022 (UTC)

Why I can't create a page with some text from the beginning?

I want to create many similar pages with some standard blocks. But only an empty page can be created. Is there something wrong with the template? https://mathzadachi.miraheze.org/wiki/%D0%A8%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BD:%D0%9D%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B0%D1%87%D0%B0 RedFox (talk) 17:30, 6 January 2022 (UTC)

@RedFox: If you're asking how to use input boxes to create pages with the editor having text to start, you would put preload=Your page inside your <inputbox> tags to preload a page's contents into the editor. You can read this page about InputBox for more information on how input boxes work. K599 (talk) 22:27, 6 January 2022 (UTC)
Thanks! — Preceding unsigned comment added by RedFox (talkcontribs)

Could someone create me a main page for a group of wiki's?

I am trying to make a foundation of wiki's for the Allmedia Foundation. I was wondering if someone could make a main page for all of them? SoyokoAnis 12:38, 7 January 2022 (UTC)

@SoyokoAnis: Hi! What are you trying to do? A dynamic page for your own foundation, listing all your wikis? I already did this once, myself basing on that page. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 20:35, 7 January 2022 (UTC)

What exactly is "commerce" use? Can a wiki hosted on Miraheze collect donations and be still non-commercial??

This is a bit vague for me. If a wiki doesn't promote any services or goods, but has its own "donate" button, does it still match Miraheze criteria? RedFox (talk) 16:19, 7 January 2022 (UTC)

Well is your wiki a non-profit company? If not probably not. SoyokoAnis 18:29, 7 January 2022 (UTC)
I don't have a company, I'm just a person. I want to start my own wiki-project. RedFox (talk) 19:14, 7 January 2022 (UTC)
@RedFox: Miraheze is a wiki farm funded only by donations. Finances are often done by wiki owners to help with maintenance. I think it wouldn't make much sense, it makes more sense to donate to Miraheze to pay for the servers, it helps more than donating "to the wiki itself". --YellowFrogger (Talk) 20:32, 7 January 2022 (UTC)
Thanks for the answer! For some reason I can't reply on the last comment by Ugochimobi, so I write my answer here. I believe what Owen said to Ugochimobi had much sense, cause donations don't come from nowhere. I.e. a person with low income who only has a job to cover their basic needs can't donate much, even if their wiki thrives. But if they make a good wiki and collect some donations, they also will be able to donate to Mirahere much more. Also, not every wiki on Mirahese seems to be useful. Many of them was abandoned after a few articles had been written. I guess running a wiki may be time consuming and not everyone can keep a motivation to develop their wiki.
I respect your work so I want to be sure that what I'm going to do doesn't break any rules and doesn't contradict the spirit of your project. RedFox (talk) 14:18, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
After speaking with Owen, The Secretary, Treasurer of the Board of Directors of Miraheze Limited, Although Miraheze as a wiki farm is funded by donations only, but you can collect donations for your wiki if you want. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Ugochimobi (talkcontribs)
@RedFox: You just cannot use your wiki for commercial activity. It's not about making donations. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 16:01, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
It's clear now. Thanks! RedFox (talk) 13:07, 9 January 2022 (UTC)

Request for Feedback: Removal of $wgUseCategoryBrowser in MediaWiki 1.38

Hi everyone,

SRE is soliciting your feedback on the potential removal of $wgUseCategoryBrowser in MediaWiki 1.38. It has been proposed upstream in T298553 on Wikimedia Phabricator that Category Browser be removed so we want to know your opinion on this so that we may forward your feedback and input to MediaWiki developers. Please let us know what you think about this and whether you would be ok with the proposed change going forward or no, your feedback is very valuable. Thank you! Agent Isai Talk to me! 10:35, 9 January 2022 (UTC)

@Agent Isai: Isn't that HotCat? My knowledge of this function is limited. Too bad, because you put categories through your browser. Maybe not. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 15:35, 9 January 2022 (UTC)
It has nothing to do with HotCat. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (     online) 15:44, 9 January 2022 (UTC)
Agent Isai Can you clarify what this means, perhaps with an accompanying screenshot example, ideally hosted on Miraheze Commons or Wikimedia Commons, of what CategoryBrowser is? It's not obvious to me, as from that technical MediaWiki manual page, it looks as though it's the category links at the bottom of every page. If that is the case, this is an absolutely terrible idea on Wikimedia's part, and will render categories as a navigation tool even less useful than ever before. I'm hoping that's not the case, though. Dmehus (talk) 16:25, 9 January 2022 (UTC)
I concur in seeking an example of what it means. I'm assuming it's not necessarily category links on pages or even listing subcategories/pages in categories (both of which I would strongly oppose removing), but what it actually means aside from that, no clue. This is a very technical inquiry that even at the original mediawiki phabricator link is poorly explained for lineman understanding. --Raidarr (talk) 20:41, 9 January 2022 (UTC)
In attempt to clear up some confusion, I did some digging into this feature and think I have a slight idea what it does now. Following mw:Help:Categories#Adding a page to a category, it would seem that $wgUseCategoryBrowser enables a secondary section in the categories box which lists all the parent categories of the categories that a page belongs to, specifically in a breadcrumb hierarchy. So... In the hopes that I understand correctly... A page with the feature might look something like this:
--dross (tcg) 07:01, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
I would just like to note that there will likely be no loss of functionality with this change. When 1.38 comes around the configuration variable will be removed, however we can install the new CategoryExplorer extension which maintains this behavor.

Wiki name change

Hi, my wiki is called Ornithopedia, and I would like it to be changed to Spacepedia. The original link address is ornithopedia.miraheze.org and my requested link address is spacepedia.miraheze.org. --DoveTheWingedWarrior (talk) 01:49, 10 January 2022 (UTC)

@DoveTheWingedWarrior: Please make domain change requests at Phabricator. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 01:54, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
DoveTheWingedWarrior, as your wiki was only just recently created and had zero content on it, I have Yes check.svg deleted it for you, as I see no reason in creating a make work project for SRE to migrate a wiki database with zero content into a new wiki database name. Please, instead, request a new wiki on your new subdomain, and wiki creators will review it in due course. Do take care, too, to choose a finalized subdomain and define a clear purpose, scope, and topic. Thanks. Dmehus (talk) 02:16, 10 January 2022 (UTC)

Change in links for blocked users

I noticed that the links to the user page, including contributions etc, changed for users who were blocked on a wiki, being underlined and italicized, which I noticed only on Miraheze wikis. If it was Miraheze that made this change, why and for what purpose? --YellowFrogger (Talk) 11:44, 10 January 2022 (UTC)

I meant strikethrough, not "underlined" --YellowFrogger (Talk) 11:48, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
Hmm? User:Examknow
Doesn't seem to be like that for me  Anpang📨  11:56, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
See the list of contributions from a blocked user in Desktop version. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 12:16, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
Nothings wrong.jpg nothings wrong to me  Anpang📨  12:23, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
Anpang, it is not necessary to upload files for simple things. You may like to use Imgur. Magogre (talk) 12:46, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
YellowFrogger, it is not a change by Miraheze. You have a script enabled in your /global.js which marks all blocked users as such. If you don't want this, remove the line two of your /global.js. Magogre (talk) 12:38, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
Oh yes, I think that's what tricked me again since I enabled it preferentially that option. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 13:00, 10 January 2022 (UTC)

Directors Meeting, January 14th, 2022

Hi everyone,

This is notice of the next meeting of Miraheze Limited's Board of Directors on January 14, 2022. You can view the agenda here. Any further discussion points for the Board are always welcome.

On behalf of the Board, Owen (talk) 19:46, 10 January 2022 (UTC)

What does that mean

It's been a while since I noticed that in the Requests comments section of requesting a wiki, there are comments from, probably, a robot, which comments on random things like "Approval Score : (Random number)", and I don't quite understand what this Approval score is, (the wiki request score? or the wiki creator's decline/acceptance?). I don't understand this score provided by this "robot" (robot because it's probably tested for automated wiki creation according to what I saw in a community wishlist). If someone who knows more than me, explaining what "Approval score" is, I would be grateful. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 20:24, 11 January 2022 (UTC)

@YellowFrogger: Indeed, the "Approval score" comment is done by the CreateWiki AI. Based on the past 2000 wiki requests, the AI compares the request to them and assigns it a score from 0.01 to 1.0 depending on the request's perceived quality. Agent Isai Talk to me! 20:30, 11 January 2022 (UTC)
@Agent Isai: So now I know this is a study (if there was a chance to automatically create wikis higher scores would be accepted). Therefore, there are requests with high scores that are declined. More reason to not have an option to create wikis automatically, other than removing "jobs", of course. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 20:42, 11 January 2022 (UTC)

Things to note for the upcoming migration and downtime notice

Hi everyone, I'm writing this as a followup to my previous post. Below are a few things to note for the upcoming migration along with the date and time for it.

Miraheze is deeply pleased to announce that we will be migrating to our new servers soon! The migration will officially begin at 22:45 UTC on 14 January 2022. In preparation for this, we will stop all file uploads at 19:45 UTC. Wiki creations will also be halted at 22:15 UTC. During the migration, the database will be set in read only mode for about 30 minutes meaning that you will not be able to save edits. Please save your edits 5–10 minutes before the migration! Additionally, here's a few more things to note:

  • You may be logged out - Once we migrate to our new infrastructure, you may be logged out. Please make sure to save all your edits before we migrate.
  • Things may be a little slow at the start - The cache will be entirely reset so at the start, pages may load a little slowly while the cache proxies get warmed up. Once that's done, pages should load fast!
  • Some special pages may be empty at the start - Special pages such as BrokenPages and MostWantedPages will be empty initially. These will fix themselves after a short while.
  • Your wiki's Special:RecentChanges may not display old entries - Once we migrate, your wiki's Special:RecentChanges may not display old entries while we rebuild them. This won't take too long and should be resolved a short while after migration.
  • Search may be a little slow - We will also be rebuilding our searchindex table so you may experience temporarily degraded search performance. This too should also be resolved after a while.

If you have any questions regarding this, feel free to reply to this and we'll answer your questions. Thank you! Agent Isai Talk to me! 21:10, 7 January 2022 (UTC)

@Agent Isai: Good, Miraheze now thinks that their current servers are not nice at all. One thing I would like to know is if these new servers will be fast enough as promised, just like the Wikimedia foundation which takes milliseconds to load on every page. Thus, we can say that we have evolved. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 21:19, 7 January 2022 (UTC)
Well yes, we've known we need new servers for awhile now which has culminated in this after months of planning. However, I'm a bit confused on the latter part of your statement. We have never promised that these servers will be like Wikimedia Foundation servers, loading in thousandths of a second as you described on Discord. While these servers will be much faster than our current ones, do remember that the Wikimedia Foundation finished 2021 with a total of $231,000,000 dollars in net assets so of course they have the resources to ensure that connections are served in a very fast manner. Agent Isai Talk to me! 21:35, 7 January 2022 (UTC)
@Agent Isai: But will the servers be fast anyway (not at wikimedia level), but much faster than these? --YellowFrogger (Talk) 21:55, 7 January 2022 (UTC)
Yes, they'll be faster than our current servers. Agent Isai Talk to me! 00:53, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
Does that mean that the migration will be finished after January 14 and that servers will be much faster. Editing is really annoying right now since everything is so slow. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 00:48, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
@Blubabluba9990: This means that we will migrate on 14 January and hopefully be done in 30 minutes. After that's done, you should have a much more enjoyable experience on Miraheze as your traffic will be served by our new, faster servers. Agent Isai Talk to me! 00:53, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
@Blubabluba9990: Yes, everything is slow, glad the team that runs the Miraheze website realizes this. Errors 502 and 503 occurring, error saving edit, trying to login. We hope that all of this is suppressed as it is the cause of bad SEO or user churn. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 00:55, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
Ok. It is good that this will be complete sooner than I expected. I guess this means the migration will be complete at 23:15 UTC on January 14, 2021 (or 6:15 PM in my time zone). Blubabluba9990 (talk) 16:14, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
And here 8:15. Even so, these are estimated minutes. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 16:36, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
Once the migration is completed, does that mean the Comments extension will finally be enabled on all wikis? 🦖️ my Name is Katsumi(BA↗RI↘BA↗RI↘) 13:50, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
The comments extension is active when connecting via SCSVG, yes. This will be automatic. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (     online) 12:10, 9 January 2022 (UTC)
Hello. How long after the change it will be slower? Thanks! AlPaD (talk) 21:01, 12 January 2022 (UTC)
Parser & Memcache should fill up once the page has been loaded for the first time. Once most pages have loaded at least once and well used templates have populated the cache then it will get better for any page that uses that template. RhinosF1 (Miraheze) (talk) 11:09, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
Hey, I noticed that CodeEditor is not loading on my wiki. Is this somehow related? Firestar464 (talk) 05:26, 15 January 2022 (UTC)

Affiliation with grifkuba

Hello, I was wondering if Miraheze wants to partner and/or affiliate with Grifkuba (excuse the website though, as it needs updating), seeing as both share a common goal of providing the best possible wiki service, with Grifkuba explicitly focused on independently-hosted wikis for gamers). Grifkuba has been hosting several wikis such as WiKirby since the year 2010. A few other examples of wikis that they host include Jiggywikki, Fire Emblem Wiki, and Triforce Wiki. Reminds me of how Miraheze also allows for custom domain configuration. Basically I see a shared common goal, and I think it would mutually benefit both if the large communities can partner with one another. Some people on grifkuba wikis might want to have a wiki hosted by them, but cannot because Grifkuba does not host wikis with little interest (e.g. Wiki DK (Portuguese) had to be hosted here because Grifkuba could not find much interest in it), so Miraheze fills in that gap. RMV2003 (talk) 17:24, 12 January 2022 (UTC)

Hello. Although they use version 1.37, some of these wikis mentioned by you use AdSense advertisements, which is not allowed in Miraheze, and is not in the footer mentioned that is hosted by Miraheze. Miraheze cannot partner with commercial companies/or be purchased by them. And I was not informed that Miraheze will partner with these wikis. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 17:36, 12 January 2022 (UTC)
I was asking if Miraheze want to, and I wasn't saying that it would happen. RMV2003 (talk) 17:40, 12 January 2022 (UTC)
@YellowFrogger: Also affiliation doesn't mean one being bought out by the other, it mean "one supporting the other's cause" if that makes sense. RMV2003 (talk) 17:44, 12 January 2022 (UTC)
I don't think so, and I think this Grifkuba owns these wikis; it's a normal thing to have an independent hosted wiki while others hosted on Miraheze, as in uncyclopedias wikis. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 17:46, 12 January 2022 (UTC)
Technically speaking I guess an affiliation would not do much aside from tell others "here are folks doing something that we support" and vice versa. RMV2003 (talk) 19:02, 12 January 2022 (UTC)
I'd think a partnership of any kind would require an RfC to establish, including what the partnership would do. I'm not sure what the point would be as far as a formal 'partnership' is concerned. That said, the values seem to be compatible and a friendly relationship makes sense. Worth having that discussion at any rate. The key here is that 'Miraheze' lacks formal definition as an entity or as a policy for what you're asking. --Raidarr (talk) 23:35, 12 January 2022 (UTC)

Local election?

So, a few weeks ago I think, I adopted and reopened chemistry wiki, and now I'm waiting for bureaucrat rights because I'd like to modify a lot of things. Do I need to hold a local election or what?  Anpang📨  06:45, 13 January 2022 (UTC)

Yes, a local election is necessary to get advanced rights. --Raidarr (talk) 11:35, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
@Anpang: You need to find the correct location to make the election on the wiki. Previously it was really adoption, now that name doesn't make much sense. You just reopen the wiki (or make a request to reopen the wiki). It's just "Reopen Request", to gain bureaucrat rights, you have to do a local election and still have a chance of losing if the administrators vote against it. The more you contributed to the wiki, the more chances. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 19:30, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
@YellowFrogger Which doesn't really make sense, what's the point of adopting a wiki if you're not going to automatically receive the rights to manage it? SoyokoAnis 13:19, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
That's what I say. Most people think they will receive rights when they "adopt" a wiki, but you will have to make a election on the wiki. That name doesn't make sense anymore, it should be "Requests for remove close", I think. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 17:00, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
Wikis which are eligible for adoption have already been closed, and so are subject to deletion 120 days after closure. Because "adoption" is creating an interruption to this course of events, which is ultimately to reduce dormant content occupying valuable storage and memory, it needs to be ensured that the wiki will receive some level of activity if adopted. Note that you may request any steward perform any administrative action in the time being while you do not have sufficient permissions on Stewards' Noticeboard. If you are the only active user on the wiki, simply post a request for adminship or bureaucratship on the wiki for a proper amount of time, and let a steward know on the Stewards' Noticeboard. Unopposed, you should be granted permissions. dross (tcg) 02:18, 15 January 2022 (UTC)

Upload issue

I am trying to upload images on Stock car racing, and it says that I do not have permission to upload this file, Why is this upload disabled? Zcook1052 (talk) 20:41, 14 January 2022 (UTC)

@Zcook1052: As the sitenotice says, it is because of the upcoming migration. It should be re-enabled in a few hours. Please read the sitenotice for more information. Agent Isai Talk to me! 20:44, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
Hello. Because of the migration that will take place in an hour, and, as a precaution, the uploads are disabled at the time of the migration, which will possibly last about 30 minutes. You must have closed the notice site and not noticed it, I think. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 20:51, 14 January 2022 (UTC)

Migration complete

Is the migration to the server complete? Zcook1052 (talk) 23:55, 14 January 2022 (UTC)

@Zcook1052: We hit a little road bump but we should be mostly back by now. Agent Isai Talk to me! 00:15, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
Is complete with several 502's and 503's but will stabilize --YellowFrogger (Talk) 00:19, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
I'm seeing more 50x errors now than before the migration, to the point that wikis (public and private) that previously got very few of them are currently getting more errors than successful page loads. (And I got a 503 error when attempting to subscribe to this thread.) How much longer should we expect this state of affairs to exist? --Robkelk (talk) 14:25, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
Should I assume the load times will improve over the course of the evening next day(s)? Because currently the load times are terrible (almost 45 sec. to load a single page) and even this noticeboard gave me some 502s before it loaded. Not looking to be annoying, just want to know what my expectations should be for now and in the coming day(s). Thanks in advance. – Mitchell Gore (talk) 03:30, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
Same as above...thought it was just my wiki but after checking a few others this seems to be a sitewide problem. Pages are taking up to a minute to load, loading in plaintext, and there's 502s galore. With the amount of editing I wanted to do Miraheze is practically unusable for me right now. Polyrhythm  talk 14:04, 15 January 2022 (UTC)

Migration issues

Some pictures are broken after the migration. Is this a known issue? Can it be solved? Timboliu999 (talk) 10:51, 15 January 2022 (UTC)

It is after migration, some problem. You see that you have this problem in Meta too, which will soon get better. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 14:38, 15 January 2022 (UTC)

Closing notice

Just now i received two wiki closing notice for inactivity. (bnwiki, mymensinghwiki) Although those wiki are active. -- MdsShakil (talk) 12:53, 15 January 2022 (UTC)

After migration, many wikis are getting inactive notice but was recently edited. You can reopen normally in Special:ManageWiki/core --YellowFrogger (Talk) 15:50, 15 January 2022 (UTC)

What happened to recent changes?

In some of the wikis the recent changes are there, in others they are gone. One of my wikis has even been closed due to inactivity. The response time has not improved since the migration, I wonder what has happened in the last months that the Miraheze server has become so slow, LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 15:06, 15 January 2022 (UTC)

Recent changes looks like it's rebuilding --YellowFrogger (Talk) 15:26, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
Hello Lily, here is the answer to your query. Greetings. Hugo Ar (talk) 00:19, 16 January 2022 (UTC)
Thank you, got it! Greetings --LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 06:13, 16 January 2022 (UTC)

Cache population after the server migration

(I tried fifteen times to post this in the proper point in the existing thread in the "Things to note for the upcoming migration and downtime notice" thread, and got timeouts of the Parsoid/RESTBase server every time. Hence the new thread.)

@RhinosF1: said there "Once most pages have loaded at least once and well used templates have populated the cache then it will get better for any page that uses that template."

All The Tropes currently has 157,327 article pages. Assuming it takes five seconds to load a page (which given the current conditions is optimistic), it would take 218 hours - over nine days - of non-stop clicking on links in the "All Pages" special page to load "most pages" on the wiki and thus populate the cache. Is there any way to automate this process? Our bots edit pages; they don't display pages. Robkelk (talk) 16:12, 15 January 2022 (UTC)

Why is it still slow

The migration is complete, so why is everything still as slow as before? I assume this will improve soon. I have been keeping up with this on Phabricator (it is T8469 if anyone is interested) and it says that "MediaWiki traffic" has not been migrated yet, as well as something called "GlusterFS". I assume when both of those are done and when T8469 gets closed that is when loading will be faster. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 20:25, 15 January 2022 (UTC)

Update: MediaWiki traffic has been marked as resolved. When will this get faster, because this slow loading speed is very frustrating. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 20:36, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
Hello. I think you already know this. Servers have migrated, more in days they will stabilize. That means the cache. After a few days we will have a better loading experience. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 21:11, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
Ok good. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 21:15, 15 January 2022 (UTC)

Very slow!

I'm from South Asia (Bangladesh). It was also very slow on the old server. The new server has grown more slow. It could not open the page in ten minutes in a visual edit. Where Wikipedia requires a maximum of 4–5 seconds. Here, too, I wanted to add visual comments. Showed loading in the comment option and gave the option to add a title. After adding a title shows that the server is disconnected! This time I submitted the comment from source editing. And yes, it took me and my browser a lot of patience to load source edit option.

I came here to test Wikiquote Bengali. But in this case, Miraheze disappointed me. খাত্তাব হাসান (talk) 11:33, 17 January 2022 (UTC)

Something strange with your connection or browser. As of today the servers got faster for me. Logging in really takes a long time, but the servers are now faster to load an article (today). --YellowFrogger (Talk) 16:58, 17 January 2022 (UTC)

"Miraheze Bots"

There's been some confusion on this. Is the so-called "Miraheze Bots" project an official Miraheze capacity or not? I was under the impression that it was, it is using Miraheze resouurces, branding, and legal contracts, but has not been conforming to Miraheze standards, has been distancing itself from Miraheze, and one particular member there has been acting unilaterally on it. Are we aware of this, and if so, do we regard "Miraheze Bots" as an official Miraheze project? If not, do we tell "Miraheze Bots" to stop using Miraheze's branding? Naleksuh (talk) 01:20, 8 January 2022 (UTC)

@Naleksuh: As far as I (and you too probably) know, the project has an official agreement with Miraheze. Could you explain how it "has not been conforming to Miraheze standards, has been distancing itself from Miraheze, and one particular member there has been acting unilaterally on it"? Agent Isai Talk to me! 01:47, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
I wasn't aware of any agreement with Miraheze, could you share more info on that? Yes, the specific thing I was referring to with MHBots is a case with one particular person acting unilaterally on the project instead of consensus, removing Phab comments from established users that did not violate any policies, and also leaked a private conversation without my permission. Naleksuh (talk) 02:05, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
@Naleksuh: I was able to find this agreement dated June 2020 between Miraheze and MirahezeBots. I am unaware if it has been superseded but to the best of my knowledge, we still maintain a relationship with MirahezeBots. Agent Isai Talk to me! 02:10, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
This doesn't communicate anything about Miraheze's relationship with the Miraheze Bots project. Just how Miraheze will host its bots (which granted, is the name, but doesn't tell much about the project). Naleksuh (talk) 02:25, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
I don't know why those comments were removed, but I'm sure there was a good reason. I don't think that the user (not naming names here) has been doing anything wrong. We do have a partnership with Miraheze to my knowledge. MacFan4000 (Talk Contribs) 02:45, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
MacFan4000, if you are aware of a partnership, please link me to that. Just saying there is one is not helpful especially if we do not know its terms. Naleksuh (talk) 02:53, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
There is no formal agreement between us and Miraheze. We use the same NDA as Miraheze and the name. We use our own servers that we've procured ourselves (with the help of SRE) and set our own policies and decisions which we discuss privately within the scope of our appointed roles. You can find our Terms of Use on our website which state "Miraheze Bots is a community project supporting Miraheze, a project from Miraheze Limited. However, Miraheze Bots does not fall under Miraheze Limited's governance and as such, Miraheze Limited is not responsible for Miraheze Bots' compliance to UK regulations. Miraheze Limited's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy do not apply to services offered by Miraheze Bots." ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (     online) 07:46, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
I apologise for the delay in responding to this as was asked by me on January 8th. I can answer that Miraheze Limited does not have an 'official' relationship with Miraheze Bots. It does not utilise any Miraheze Limited resources, and does not gain access to any donator funding through the company. It does use the Miraheze Limited NDA - this is purely to protect Miraheze Limited as originally there was talk of information owned by Miraheze Limited which we classify as 'sensitive' being passed to the Miraheze Bots project to allow IRC->Discord operations to occur. I am currently not aware of any such inofrmation being in use/planned which would require an NDA in place. I will follow up on this to re-evaluate this. It is important to note that the NDA only covers Miraheze Limited as a party, not Miraheze Bots. Miraheze Limited has no legal purview or responsibility over Miraheze Bots. Owen (talk) 18:29, 16 January 2022 (UTC)
@Owen: Yeah, so this has not been made sufficiently clear at all. First of all, I was asked to fill out a Miraheze Limited NDA for Miraheze Bots (and then ended up not needing it anyway). In addition, the conduct of several Miraheze Bots admins has violated Miraheze policies, but there is not much to be done about that if it is not a related project. However, as pointed out by Dmehus, the Miraheze Bots wiki is hosted on Miraheze, so the Miraheze Terms of Use, privacy policy, and content policy definitely do apply there. I think the so-called Bots project needs to remove all Miraheze branding unless they are going to be adopting it as a Miraheze project. Otherwise, why can't I go and launch "Miraheze burgers" in a food truck with no permission from anyone? And promote User:Naleksuh BOT to CFO and put it on Miraheze's main page? Naleksuh (talk) 18:59, 16 January 2022 (UTC)
Speaking as a member of the MirahezeBots project team, I was not favour of your proposal with regard to MirahezeBots' hosting service provider, Fosshost. That being said, I disagreed with the manner in which this was proposed (i.e., in a private IRC channel, with no confidential information contained therein) and the fact that the text of your proposal was not made available to team members in said private channel. I would personally see no issue with you (a) creating a Community portal in Project: namespace of that local wiki and to (b) proposing this proposal for discussion publicly. While I can't say the outcome would be any different, it would, nonetheless, provide for greater transparency and accountability on the part of the MirahezeBot project, due to its use of the Miraheze name and overall brand affinity. This would be, potentially, an important precursor for any potential global RfC that sought the community's input with respect to the MirahezeBots' continued use of the Miraheze name. Speaking as a Steward, I should also note that the MirahezeBots project's wiki is hosted by Miraheze and, as such, Stewards play the role of an facilitator and mediator with respect to disputed outcomes of local wiki discussions, and, of course, ensuring that all users govern themselves accordingly. Additionally, it's also important to note that the MirahezeBots project has subjected all its platforms to the Code of Conduct, including shell access, GitHub repositories, and IRC channels, and, so, Stewards fulfill the responsibilities of the Code of Conduct Commission for the purposes of, for example, providing arbitration in the case of Code of Conduct-related local blocks or prohibitions for which local resolution is at an impasse. Dmehus (talk) 20:54, 16 January 2022 (UTC)
A statement is pending and will be published in due course to respond in full on behalf of Miraheze Bots within 48 hours. Some relevant discussion can be found here. Any comments made will be answered to the best of our ability when such statement is published. No further comments will be made at this time. RhinosF1 (talk) 22:03, 16 January 2022 (UTC) Our response to the thread can be found on Phame. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (     online) 15:32, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
There is no need for any statement from Miraheze Bots. I asked Miraheze about the relationship between them and Miraheze Bots. I did not ask Miraheze Bots about what it believes about Miraheze, and you can keep any of that on https://bots.miraheze.org. Also, you have been attempting to confuse people by bringing up irrelevant information or acting like this discussion was about something else, so any statements that do not pertain to that or an attempt to confuse people with other conversations will be collapsed. Naleksuh (talk) 22:22, 16 January 2022 (UTC)

Issue with Inkscape generating thumbnails from SVG files

Having an issue with my wiki. If I set Inkscape as the SVG Converter, embedded SVG files won't be visible, displaying only the file name. If I try to view a preview, I get a message like:

Error generating thumbnail
Error creating thumbnail: Warning: Option --without-gui= is deprecated (process:2552304): Gtk-WARNING **: 05:43:16.235: Locale not supported by C library. Using the fallback 'C' locale. Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused Unknown option -f

Alternatively, if I set ImageMagick as the SVG Converter, it works - but then it seems to only render at the SVG's nominal size, and a preview at a different size will look blurry. Stormwatch (talk) 05:57, 16 January 2022 (UTC)

I saw this reported in Discord also, perhaps this may have been you? Universal Omega mentioned working on this issue a bit, it may be in-progress for troubleshooting, in case that helps. | -- FrozenPlum (Talk / Email) 04:06, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
That wasn't me, but it seems to be working now. Stormwatch (talk) 03:06, 21 January 2022 (UTC)

Two things

It seems like loading times have improved a bit, but there are still two things:

  • The reply button is still broken, when will that be fixed?
  • Will the comment extension be re-enabled? Blubabluba9990 (talk) 17:42, 16 January 2022 (UTC)
    The comment extension started working and can be activated according to a user --YellowFrogger (Talk) 18:32, 16 January 2022 (UTC)
    Ok. What about the reply button though, will that be fixed soon? Blubabluba9990 (talk) 19:07, 16 January 2022 (UTC)
For clarification’s sake, are you referring to the DiscussionTools extension "Reply" button? Miraheze volunteers may need to know which extension or feature you are having problems with, so having that confirmed could be helpful. Thanks | -- FrozenPlum (Talk / Email) 04:06, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
Reply button works for me now  Anpang📨  04:48, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
In fact, the ReplyTool button has its problems caused by errors 502 that get in the way when sending messages, as has happened a lot with me, these current slow servers are no different. These errors happen after pressing the send button, causing slowdowns, and occasionally the person presses again multiple times, creating accidentally bulk/duplicate messages. So I'm using wikitext to reply and have temporarily stopped using ReplyTool. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 04:54, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
Other users and myself are seeing the reply feature function properly at this time. The errors associated with the feature are being tracked and resolved in phab:T8605. You may wish to report any further errors or information which matches the problem mentioned there. dross (tcg) 08:58, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
I was having significant trouble with the feature yesterday, but today it seems to be performing. -- Raidarr (talk) 09:27, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
Ok good, it is working now. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 19:59, 19 January 2022 (UTC)

No update or edit?

Hello, I'm the owner of Music Games Wiki (mgw.miraheze.org). Since the music games THE iDOLM@STER MILLION LIVE! THEATER DAYS 4th ANNIVERSARY Reach 4 the Dre@m! and THE iDOLM@STER POPLINKS have update, I also update the wiki ASAP, but recently, I received "No update or edit for 60 days" message. Is it an issue? -- Hkotaku2015 (talk) 09:33, 17 January 2022 (UTC)

This was a glitch caused during the port to new servers where recent changes were wiped, unfortunately right when the script was run to check if changes were made recently. It should be a one-time error and I see you've already fixed it up locally. Apologies for the inconvenience. --Raidarr (talk) 20:52, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
OK, thx. --Hkotaku2015 (talk) 05:34, 18 January 2022 (UTC)

Moving Requests for adoption to Requests for reopening

A recent successfully closed RfC outlined that the word "adoption" in the Dormancy Policy will be replaced by word "reopening" to reflect that the users will not be given the rights on the wikis; only the wikis will be reopened. I propose to move the page to the above mentioned title because some users may still believe that the page is meant to request the rights and reopen a closed wiki but it is not. Thanks, Magogre (talk) 10:15, 17 January 2022 (UTC)

Hello. I was going to talk about this shortly. The name "adoption" no longer makes sense as you just reopen the wiki, previously it was actually adoption where you reopened and gained bureaucrat rights. Today you just reopen and you don't get any rights, now you have to do a local election. So I support this for structure reasons/not to mislead others. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 16:52, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
This is actually planned if I'm not mistaken. All we need is for a Steward or local sysop to actually move the page. Agent Isai Talk to me! 16:53, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
This is being done via mwtask to avoid timeouts. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (     online) 19:06, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
In retrospect I think it would have been better to call it 'Requests to reopen' for brevity. --Raidarr (talk) 20:50, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
This too --YellowFrogger (Talk) 20:52, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
While I'm not necessarily opposed to a potential retitling of Requests for adoption, I would just note that noticeboard changes are an administrative change that are necessarily defined by policies. What this means is that the policy defines how or under what conditions a certain action may be requested, but where those requests take place is not something that is defined by the policy. As well, requests are not limited to be requested at Requests for adoption, though for clerical efficiency, it makes sense to prefer users make such requests in one place. Nevertheless, interestingly, proposal #1 of the quoted RfC actually, and intentionally, codified into the policy the term adoption as as an acceptable term for the process. That's not to say wikis are necessarily adopted, but rather, it's just a term to describe the process by which wikis are reopened. As to a potential retitling, I wouldn't favour requests to reopen, as I do feel the page title should end in a noun, not a verb (including in gerund form). Requests to reopen wikis was what I favoured initially, but that might be a but cumbersome. In all honesty, I'm thinking that Dormancy Policy/Requests actually makes the most sense. Dmehus (talk) 07:29, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
Avoiding cumbersome is the key of my suggested tweak, but end-user clarity is important as well; "Dormancy Policy/Requests" would make some sense, but bury the page behind what is frankly a bit of a bureaucratic wall and I don't think is a format to be encouraged in further developing meta. Such request pages should be as short as possible, concise, and stand on their own if they see as regular use and are as regularly invoked as RfA, though naturally it should not be disconnected from references to the DP within the page itself. --Raidarr (talk) 09:32, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
Well, the thinking here is actually it would make it more visible, via the search box near the top right corner of screen. When you search for "Requests for...", due to the number of similarly named pages, and all of the translation subpages for each, you only get one of the noticeboards. More well designed page navigation hubs and improved category hierarchies and category pages would improve the findability of the page, even if on a subpage. In terms of search, though, what would come up when searching for "Dormancy Policy" would be both the policy page and the requests page. Alternatively, I suppose we could consider having a "Requests" parent page, with appropriate subpages like "Global rights," "Wiki reopenings," and any others as I may be missing or from time to time be created. Additionally, I would also note that regardless of the page titling, it's prominently linked in the sidebar, in the headers of all noticeboards, and perhaps even on Main Page. Dmehus (talk) 06:13, 20 January 2022 (UTC)

About something

Is the GlobalUserPage extension automatically disabled if you add the socialprofile extension? FatBurn0000 (talk) 22:38, 17 January 2022 (UTC)

Yes. In fact, replaced specifically for a box (with avatar) where you can modify. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 22:58, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
FatBurn0000, great question! In fact, the GlobalUserPage extension is not disabled when the SocialProfile extension is enabled. However, it is functionally incompatible with the GlobalUserPage extension such that the SocialProfile user profile or user wiki pages override any global user page the user may have on Loginwiki. Separately, due to the way in which SocialProfile is designed, even when a user has an empty user profile and user wiki page, wikilinks to their user profile/user wiki page are still treated by MediaWiki software as blue links. For these reasons, I personally do not like the SocialProfile extension. You can, however, and if you wish, disable the GlobalUserPage extension if you're using the SocialProfile extension. Functionally, this should not make much, if any, difference, but the GlobalUserPage extension is only a default extension, not a global extension, meaning it's enabled by default; however, wikis can opt out if desired (usually if there's local consensus for this). Hope this helps. Dmehus (talk) 04:36, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
@Dmehus: So was I wrong? I used SocialProfile on my wiki and all user list links turned blue. Instead, I was right in saying that he actually replace the content. --YellowFrogger (Talk) 04:40, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
YellowFrogger, I wouldn't say you were wrong, no. Functionally, you were on the right track. I just sought to further ellucidate (explain) how it works in more detail. Dmehus (talk) 04:47, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
@Dmehus: Well, that's a shame. Is there any way I could get that changed? FatBurn0000 (talk) 08:19, 18 January 2022 (UTC)

No images on wikis anymore?

I went on the RollerCoaster Tycoon Wiki, and I noticed that all of the images there disappeared since Miraheze moved to new servers. What exactly happened? Fred-104 (talk) 17:12, 18 January 2022 (UTC)

@Fred-104: Did the images which disappeared happen to be hosted on Wikimedia Commons? Agent Isai Talk to me! 17:30, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
They were not hosted on Wikimedia Commons. Fred-104 (talk) 17:34, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
I saw on the wiki that you are a bureaucrat and administrator, it is also closed probably due to the migration error of having recent changes deleted. The wikis were closed even though they were being edited. And the images are showing at least for me (I saw most of them). --YellowFrogger (Talk) 17:40, 18 January 2022 (UTC)

How does the CreateWiki extension work, exactly?

I know that the CreateWiki extension rates wiki requests based on their quality compared to the last 2,000 requests, but how does the scoring system work? Tali64³ (talk) 19:38, 19 January 2022 (UTC)

@Tali64³: It's based on a machine learning model. Check out this and this for details. — Arcversin (talk) 00:42, 20 January 2022 (UTC)

How to stop user group rights redirect?

I don't want my user group rights pages to redirect to meta user group rights page? How do I redirect them back to my wiki? SoyokoAnis 15:30, 20 January 2022 (UTC)

@SoyokoAnis: You can change it in the MediaWiki namespace. If are an administrator it is for example: MediaWiki:Grouppage-sysop, etc. Look at the Special:AllMessages page and do CTRL + F to search to find them one by one on the page. Also expect someone better than me to speak. After a update by MirahezeMagic, statistics groups page redirect to User groups. --YellowFrogger (talk) () 16:09, 20 January 2022 (UTC)

what would be a good idea for a wiki

im out of ideas i need an idea plsOctahedron foundation (talk) 16:06, 20 January 2022 (UTC) Octahedron foundation (talk) 16:06, 20 January 2022 (UTC)

Please, this is not the place to say this. This is to ask for help, not share wiki ideas. --YellowFrogger (talk) () 16:10, 20 January 2022 (UTC)
where do i ask Octahedron foundation (talk) 16:12, 20 January 2022 (UTC)
I don't think this is necessarily a wrong place to ask. For an answer though, whatever is a good blend between something you like/would commit to and would fit in content policy. Personally I've come to believe the answer might as easily be 'none' - many wikis in the market looking for help, and it's more work to do a wiki justice than they often get credit for. --Raidarr (talk) 20:09, 20 January 2022 (UTC)
@Raidarr: I also agree that here (communicating site) is ideal for sharing ideas with others and promoting a local community. But the focus here is on this user's behavior: free time, mass messages on other users' talk page, probably (to maintain good faith) with other intentions (not asking for help). I encourage this user not to do this anymore, and ask for their wiki as usual. --YellowFrogger (talk) () 20:25, 20 January 2022 (UTC)

The template is broken

Hello everyone. I've just found that one of my templates (creating a new page) is broken. I suppose it could be related to resent moving on a new server. Please tell me how to fix it. https://mathzadachi.miraheze.org/wiki/%D0%A8%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BD:%D0%9D%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B0%D1%87%D0%B0 RedFox (talk) 17:06, 20 January 2022 (UTC)

Try purging the page (clear cache) ?action=purge (I purged it and it was back to normal for me). --YellowFrogger (talk) () 17:16, 20 January 2022 (UTC)
I see you speak a another language: for you it's Очистить Шаблон:Новая_задача&action=purge, actually. Do something else too: delete the page and recreate it to see what happens. --YellowFrogger (talk) () 17:21, 20 January 2022 (UTC)
Thanks, the template works now, but I've just found a error appears if I try to insert math equations on a page. RedFox (talk) 19:16, 20 January 2022 (UTC)

Our wiki's local interwiki table

Hello, everyone. Our wiki (https://japolandball.miraheze.org/) has some wikis are written in other language so I want you to change our wiki's local interwiki table. Mechachacha (talk) 08:37, 21 January 2022 (UTC)

@Mechachacha: Hello, please outline the various languages, a link to the language wikis and a prefix that you want to add to the Japanese Polandball Wiki. --  Joseph  TB  CT  CA  13:42, 21 January 2022 (UTC)
Thank you for the reply. I lined up and sorted links.
Local interwiki prefixes
cen ttps://central.ballmedia.org/wiki/$1
bco ttps://commons.ballmedia.org/wiki/$1
jpwp ttps://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/$1
Interlanguage prefixes
en ttps://www.polandballwiki.com/wiki/$1
cs ttps://csup.miraheze.org/wiki/$1
es ttps://polandballes.miraheze.org/wiki/$1
hy ttps://hypolandball.miraheze.org/wiki/$1
id ttps://bolapolandia.miraheze.org/$1
pt ttps://pt.polandballwiki.com/wiki/$1
ru ttps://polandballru.miraheze.org/$1
zh ttps://zhpolandball.miraheze.org/wiki/$1
(I can't send links that are not removed "h". You have to add "h".)
All items of Forward should be yes, but all items of Transclude should be no. Mechachacha (talk) 02:23, 22 January 2022 (UTC)

Problem with seo metakeywords

I have now the next error:

"Error: <seo> tag must contain at least one non-empty attribute."

But my seo tag has worked well so far:

<seo metakeywords="szabadkőműves,freemason,páholy,lodge,freimaurer,loge" google-site-verification="GDJ-MOvKL9I-W-eoQsEp958AsMp8QOUILjH5N27YgWU" />

What has changed?

What can be done?

László Lalo5555 (talk) 16:23, 12 January 2022 (UTC)

Hello Lalo5555, I apologize for the lack of responses so far (to be frank, things have been quite busy :p). Does this error continue? If so I can try to point someone authoritative to this thread. --Raidarr (talk) 20:57, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
Hello @Raidarr, Very interesting, the error message is gone from all pages except my home page: https://szk.miraheze.org/wiki/Szabadkőműves_Wiki,
László Lalo5555 (talk) 08:29, 24 January 2022 (UTC)

Messed up the namespace, now all pages are unavailable

Hello everyone! I just had my new wiki created (attractivecelebs.miraheze.org) and I seriously messed something up, I tried to add a "Special" namespace in the 'Manage this wiki's namespaces' section (to have a namespace where basic rules and such material goes), and after saving, I don't know what got messed up but now all the links, including all tools, stuff like logging out, watchlist, preferences, recent changes, everything, gets the 'Special' prefix added to them, even when I try to erase it from the https search bar or recover the page from browser history, I still get the issue, and at all times I get this message: 'There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or create this page.' Even the logs and settings are unavailable. I tried all methods but no success. I basically locked myself out of my new wiki.

Please could someone with the required user rights and sufficient technical knowledge come and see if anything can be done? I am pretty desperate, don't know what I messed up accidentally but it pretty much nuked any options to edit anything on the wiki anymore.

Thank you in advance! ShaytonSky (talk) 22:43, 21 January 2022 (UTC)

I don't know if what I wrote is clearly understandable, so I made a video I uploaded here to actually show you what happens: https://youtu.be/oXPbU0-hRGA . I really hope someone can help, otherwise this wiki can be deleted. --ShaytonSky (talk) 22:59, 21 January 2022 (UTC)

@ShaytonSky: The namespace "Special" is reserved by MediaWiki for builtin pages, such as ManageWiki and the login box, so you can't use it as a namespace for content. You probably shouldn't have been able to do that in the first place. The Stewards should be able to delete the namespace on meta, so it shouldn't be broken too hard. — Arcversin (talk) 01:57, 22 January 2022 (UTC)
See T8649. — Arcversin (talk) 02:00, 22 January 2022 (UTC)
He replaced it to be exact, (accidentally deleting after creating a "Special" namespace in ManageWiki/namespaces). I don't know why the user proceeded to do this, knowing that special pages are important. Now let's wait for an expert SRE or Steward to see if it fixes it. --YellowFrogger (talk) () 02:01, 22 January 2022 (UTC)
I have now fixed the issue
Thank you very much for the help! I am really sorry for causing trouble, it was completely unintentional. I am an editor on the Hungarian Wikipedia, and we have a 'Special' namespace there, and when I tried managing the namespaces, I noticed it was not there so I thought it had to be created. I am really sorry about it, I will never go anywhere near those options again. Thank you again for helping me out! --ShaytonSky (talk) 14:16, 22 January 2022 (UTC)
Please don't be discouraged entirely, you ran into a rare scenario where ManageWiki can break a wiki function. The other, more common issue I would note though is ManageWiki; you should never mess with bureaucrat, because if you lose the ManageWiki permission you will need outside intervention. Otherwise, you've learned. But by all means feel free to ask again anytime such as with the below thread, and even join us on Discord/IRC for informal questions/responses. You're good :) --Raidarr (talk) 11:40, 23 January 2022 (UTC)

Miraheze starts to slow down and bug again, right?

It was better for a week but now it's starting again Darkrai18 (talk) 18:42, 22 January 2022 (UTC)

Yes, very very slow for me too. 502 errors also happening. Must be something --YellowFrogger (talk) () 18:48, 22 January 2022 (UTC)

Namespace for rules etc.

Hello! It's me again, sorry for disturbing but after what I caused yesterday I do not dare to do anything 'major' by myself before asking.

I would like to ask what is the namespace that the stuff like rules of the Wiki go? In Wikipedia, we have Wiki/Wikipedia namespace for that, but I can't find either among the namespaces listed. What namespace should I use for the rules page?

Thank you in advance. Best regards, --ShaytonSky (talk) 20:27, 22 January 2022 (UTC)

@ShaytonSky: Use the Project namespace. The "Project" namespace will always redirect to the namespace you're looking for. For example, here, we have Project:Bots which redirects to Meta:Bots. Naleksuh (talk) 20:36, 22 January 2022 (UTC)
@Naleksuh: Thank you very much! --ShaytonSky (talk) 20:40, 22 January 2022 (UTC)
Yes, you can use the project namespace to create the conduct entries, pretty much most wikis do that. But also I always considered creating a namespace in ManageWiki/namespaces with different names in my wiki. This is an interesting way. --YellowFrogger (talk) () 02:12, 23 January 2022 (UTC)
It's also a good name because it's the default namespace where various wiki 'meta' pages are linked to, such as the About, Policy, General disclaimer and other such pages. --Raidarr (talk) 11:42, 23 January 2022 (UTC)