Community noticeboard/Archive 18

From Meta
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Archive This page is an archive. Do not edit the contents of this page. Please direct any additional comments to the current talk page.


Request for Interwiki table configuration

Hi Community, Please I hereby request that 1. 'fd:' links to https://famedata.org, 2. 'f:' links to https://en.famepedia.org. on the inter-wiki table
Thanks.
Cc: @Dmehus
 Ugochimobi (talk) 23:32, 5 April 2021 (UTC)

Ugochimobi Do you require either of the forward or transclude flags for either or no? (These can always be changed later.) Also, do you want me to add f on Famepedia as well, or just add fd on Famepedia and f on Famedata? Dmehus (talk) 23:37, 5 April 2021 (UTC)
Its like this Dmehus, 'f' for famepedia and 'fd' for famedata since we already have 'd' for wikidata. Don't know if we can override that. Ugochimobi (talk) 23:48, 5 April 2021 (UTC)
You can definitely use d for Famedata as a local override. My question, though, is do you want both prefixes on both your wikis, or just the prefix for the one wiki on the other wiki and the prefix for the other wiki on the one wiki? Hope that clarifies. Dmehus (talk) 23:54, 5 April 2021 (UTC)
yes both prefixes on both wikis please, and you can use 'd' for famedata locally. Thanks. Ugochimobi (talk) 23:57, 5 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi Understood. Both prefixes on both wikis have been Yes check.svg added now. Dmehus (talk) 00:07, 6 April 2021 (UTC)

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── Okay @Dmehus, it hasn't reflected though but can this interwiki especially 'f' be global? Ugochimobi (talk) 00:30, 6 April 2021 (UTC)

Ugochimobi In keeping with Miraheze's commitment to have as much local control and discretion on each wiki, interwiki prefixes are added locally to each wiki's interwiki table. Thus, the changes are are already effected on Famepedia's interwiki table and Famedata's interwiki table. The global interwiki table is held on Meta Wiki at Special:Interwiki and is mainly used for interwiki prefixes used by many wikis or because they share a common pan-Miraheze purpose. As it would become quite bloated rather quickly, we instead created MirahezeMagic pseudo-interwiki prefixes, which are formatted in the format of [[mh:subdomain:page name|optional displayed text]]. They even work in log actions now, thanks to Universal Omega's recent enhancements! The only things you cannot do is transclude them or use them for locally assigning imported edits, but that's why we can add interwiki prefixes to your wiki. Dmehus (talk) 00:42, 6 April 2021 (UTC)
Thanks man! Ugochimobi (talk) 00:49, 6 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi No problem at all. You may be interested to know that you can manage interwiki prefixes on your locally, if you wish. To do this, all you need to do is hold a local election on each wiki where requesting interwiki-admin and, provided you meet the global policy requirements for local interwiki administrators, can then request Stewards assess your local election after at least 5-7 calendar days. This is generally only required, though, if you expect to regularly add local interwiki or interlanguage prefixes to your wiki(s), but it is nonetheless an option available to you. Dmehus (talk) 00:56, 6 April 2021 (UTC)
Many thanks Dmehus Ugochimobi (talk) 09:01, 6 April 2021 (UTC)
Hi @Dmehus, Could you please guide me in this regards?? Ugochimobi (talk) 09:33, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi Generally speaking, it just involves you creating either a special election page somewhere on your wiki or, if you have a specific permissions requests page, adding your request for local interwiki-admin to that page. Unless your wiki has rules defining how long permissions requests or elections should remain open, after at least 5-7 calendar days, you can then post a note on stewards' noticeboard requesting a Steward assess your local election. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:19, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
Oh, @Dmehus you mean I should request local interwiki-admin permission on my local Request for permission page and then after 5-7 calendar days i can come request a steward to assess my request. For example in my Administrators' Noticeboard page??? Ugochimobi (talk) 14:58, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
Yeah, that's right, principally because it's a local user group. It's only restricted to Stewards to grant for mainly security and technical reasons. The page you linked would be fine, yeah. Dmehus (talk) 15:01, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
Okay Thanks @Dmehus I'll do just that Ugochimobi (talk) 15:11, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
Okay @Dmehus I'll do just that. Ugochimobi (talk) 15:20, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
Hi @Dmehus: Its exactly Six (6) days that i place a request for interwiki admin in my wiki at the A N
I would love you to help check out and give grant. Thanks @Dmehus Ugochimobi (talk) 13:02, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi, though local election assessment requests should be requested at stewards' noticeboard in the future, it's not a problem that it was here in this case—just more of a point for the future. Anyway, I've now Yes check.svg closed your local permissions request for interwiki-admin as a successful election by acclamation. Dmehus (talk) 16:28, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
Thanks @Dmehus:
No problems at all, furtherly I'd go to stewards' noticeboard.
Thanks once again. Ugochimobi (talk) 16:40, 15 April 2021 (UTC)

How to put a youtube video?

I add youtube extension but nothing changed in the editor.
I'm unable to understand what do the the associated page speaks about: https://github.com/miraheze/YouTube
And I can't do this kind of things : https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmbedVideo
 Emmanuel (talk) 12:09, 14 April 2021 (UTC)

Youtube extension does not change anything in the editor, it adds a tag to the wiki. You can embed a youtube video in a page using <youtube>xxxx</youtube>. I do not use EmbedVideo I guess it is the same as the youtube extension. I have tested the extension on your test page (OMG I really do hate those captchas with the ugly pics), embedvideo is not activated on your wiki, LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 20:36, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
Oh Thank you so much Lily ! lol
On my Wiki I can put an external link without captcha. Here it's the same, except with visualeditor. I can't put such a link here whih it because a bug captcha prevents me.
Emmanuel (talk) 23:17, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
@Emmanuel: You have admin rights on your wiki. Did you try to enter an external link with a user account without special rights? Happy editing, greetings, LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 03:06, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
As you gave me the idea I juste tested : There's well a captcha :) As I créated a test user, I wanted to test the rights changing for it but I didn't found. I will ask it in a better place, bellow.
What's strang is that, with wiki editor, here I can put a link without captcha...
I Just undersand : It beacause I puted it as text (question below)
Emmanuel (talk) 11:12, 15 April 2021 (UTC)

How can we change a user rights?

If someone do a good job and whants to do more, for exemple... Emmanuel (talk) 11:38, 15 April 2021 (UTC)

@Emmanuel: You can change a user right by going to the special page Special:UserRights in your local wiki, thereafter you can insert the username of the user you want to change the right. Ugochimobi (talk) 12:13, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
Wouaw Great Merci :) Emmanuel (talk) 12:33, 15 April 2021 (UTC)

Important!

Hi.... I don't know if FAMEData is connected to FAMEPedia as a data respository.... Please can I have that
And Is it possible for a FAMEData item to be automatically created once a FAMEPedia article is created?? How can I do these please??. Ugochimobi (talk) 18:31, 15 April 2021 (UTC)

Help-me

Hello Goodnight.

I created a theme for mobile, for the skin (MinervaNeue) specifically, therefore, when placing the skin in MediaWiki: Minerva.css, or even MediaWiki: Mobile.css, the skin does not appear. What should I do to make her appear. UTC-3 Xaosk (talk) 02:55, 1 April 2021 (UTC)

Please note I have procedurally moved this discussion from stewards' noticeboard to community noticeboard, where it is now in scope. Please note that questions regarding building your wiki should be asked at community noticeboard, whereas technical requests outside of the ability of local bureaucrats, or where local bureaucrats are not active on a given wiki, should be asked at stewards' noticeboard. Confirmed or likely bug reports or requests to run a maintenance script or perform some other back-end (i.e., database) change are asked on Phabricator. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 13:36, 1 April 2021 (UTC)
@Xaosk It's probably not working due to phab:T6362. A workaround you could do is use Gadgets to create a CSS gadget that just contains:
@import url(/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Mobile.css&action=raw&ctype=text/css);
Then add the following to your MediaWiki:Gadgets-definition (the example uses MediaWiki:Gadget-TempMobileCssFix.css as the name of the gadget):
* TempMobileCssFix[ResourceLoader|default|hidden|targets=mobile]|TempMobileCssFix.css K599 (talk) 00:19, 5 April 2021 (UTC)
It didn't work, I have this extension installed Xaosk (talk) 22:32, 16 April 2021 (UTC)

I figured out the problem for why the Special:ReplaceText wasn't working on the crappygameswiki

Well, since I figured out why $wgCompressRevisions was set to true when I was trying to access the Replace Text page, could the $wgCompressRevisions be turned off? I would do this myself, but I found out it's been restricted to System AdministratorsDarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 10:58, 17 April 2021 (UTC)

DarkMatterMan4500 Yes, that's the reason, and unfortunately, no, it is unlikely that can be changed based on my conversations with Reception123. You can try talking to him about it, as he would be the one to make the final call on this, but this is one of the disadvantages to large database size wikis, unfortunately. Crappy Games Wiki is not the only large wiki that cannot use the ReplaceText extension; All The Tropes, for example, would be in the same boat as your wiki. I believe there is a Mass Edit Regex extension that can be used instead, however. Dmehus (talk) 14:02, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Dmehus Okay then. DarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 14:03, 17 April 2021 (UTC)

How can we hide a page or to forbidden its modification except for certain kinds of users?

Emmanuel (talk) 17:46, 15 April 2021 (UTC)

Emmanuel Do you mean to restrict a page from editing, or from viewing? If the former, you can protect the page at a certain protection/restriction level (i.e., sysop or autoconfirmed, or other restriction levels you wish to request for your wiki on Phabricator). If the latter, unfortunately, that is not possible unless you make your entire wiki private, and whitelist only certain pages to which you want non-members and non-administrators to view. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 17:54, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
Ah .. Thank you ....
But then, what is the point of having a plubic wiki if we can do better (possibility of choosing what is public and what is private) with a private wiki? I guess there must be one or all our mediawikis would be private ... Is it complicated to trun from public to private and vice versa? Emmanuel (talk) 22:42, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
Not at all, in Special:ManageWiki/core, you can switch from public to private, and/or private to public. Hope this helps. WikiJS talk 12:29, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Great, thank you. On the other hand I do not manage to set the rights by page. They are all invisible except the home. And it stays that way even when I allow the modification to all users for a page. In addition, can we set the right for all users (registered or not) to create pages? Emmanuel (talk) 18:46, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
I don't know what you mean when you say "they are all invisible except the home;" however, you can disallow all users from creating pages. Simply remove the createpage and, optionally, createtalk user right(s) from the * user group. You would then add it to, say, sysop and autoconfirmed. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 18:49, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Thank you for this informations. For example this page can't be displayed for all users or registred users as I tested and I don't know how to put it in the whit liste : https://absolu.miraheze.org/wiki/Test Emmanuel (talk) 19:10, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Emmanuel Ah, thanks for the clarification. You can whitelist pages on private wikis in the $wmgWhitelistRead variable of Special:ManageWiki/settings. I've Yes check.svg done this for you for the requested test page. Can you please try going in to that special page in ManageWiki and removing it from the whitelist? Basically, you just start typing the page name, and it should show up, when you're whitelisting a page. Dmehus (talk) 19:21, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
I managed to erase it from the whitelist. Very good test, thank you. It took a long time not to be visible afterwards, but I guess that's normal. I can't put it back in the whitelist though. Unless it's even longer ... Emmanuel (talk) 19:44, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Hrm, if it took awhile not to be visible, that's possibly a Varnish cache issue and would be expected. It should only be a few hours, at most, though. Hrm, you can't put back in the whitelist? Let me try. Dmehus (talk) 19:49, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Oh, the page came back to public but I still not see it in white liste. Maybe it will be longer again. Emmanuel (talk) 19:52, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
It looks like you've re-whitelisted it, as I do see "test" listed there. So, it's likely a local cache issue for you only, if you're not seeing it there. Dmehus (talk) 19:55, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Actually I can't see the white list no more. the space you put Test in became gray and with moving white diagonals. I will try to empty my navigator cash. Emmanuel (talk) 20:01, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Nothing changed... More than this the search engin is forbiden for unregitrated user, as I tesed the page création for unregistrated users... Could you help me again? :) Emmanuel (talk) 20:03, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
That's as designed. Private wikis will not be indexed or searchable by search engines, since search engines are essentially non-registered users. Dmehus (talk) 20:16, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Even white pages are then hiden from seach, more than sad... Other question : how can an unregistrated user could then creat a page? I gess I will turn the wiki back to plubic and loos the obviously usefull whiteliste function.. And creat a second Wiki juste for privat work pages... If Mirahesez allow it... Emmanuel (talk) 20:35, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Well, I'm not sure why you'd want unregistered users to be able to edit on a private wiki, so this is really working as designed. Search engines should still be able to index whitelisted pages, though, unless your namespace indexation default for that namespace is set to disallow. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 20:38, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Private/public is juste a technique question. I would juste like to be able to hide somes pages from a wiki public for all the rest. Search engines are able to index whitelisted pages, you say, but an unregistrated user can't use the engine, as I tested and told uper. I don't unerstand... I tested "$wgNamespacesToBeSearchedDefault" for "User" namespace but I don't works. Yes each of your andwers helps me. Emmanuel (talk) 21:00, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
Could you continue to help me Dmehus? Emmanuel (talk) 17:24, 18 April 2021 (UTC)

Assistance

I'm currently procedurally creating a bot for my wiki, so all I need is assistance as much as could get from here. So please my first question is do I have shell access on my wiki? FAMEPedia is the wiki Ugochimobi (talk) 10:19, 8 April 2021 (UTC)

@Dmehus, @R4356th, @Universal Omega, @RhinosF1 please. Ugochimobi (talk) 11:03, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
@Ugochimobi: Hi. We do not allow shell access for anyone other than System administrators on Miraheze. However, we do have ManageWiki, which allows users to edit settings, extensions, permissions and namespaces on their wiki without needing shell access. Our software and settings are also open source. In addition to ManageWiki, if there is something that is not on there that you need (for example another setting, or to a run a maintenance script), you can request it here. Reception123 (talk) (C) 11:05, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
Can I request that a directory is uploaded to my wiki server? Ugochimobi (talk) 11:32, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
That is not possible I'm afraid, there are no single wiki servers since we are a wiki farm. What exactly would you like to do? Reception123 (talk) (C) 12:02, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
While Miraheze does not permit anyone other than Site Reliability Engineering team members to have shell access to the wiki farm's servers for the reasons Reception123 articulated, we do have the MirahezeBots project, an independently-run project authorized to the use the Miraheze name that aims to provide the community hosting of bots (mainly IRC currently, but wiki bots as well) and other tools. Other than their wiki, all of their servers are provided by a separate hosting provider, Fosshost. Their hosting policy is still in draft form and Access Policy may still need some refinements, but potentially the MirahezeBots project would be a great provider to host your wiki bot. I can't provide any timelines on when the community bot hosting will be up running, but RhinosF1 would be the best one to contact about that—perhaps on his MirahezeBots user talk page. Dmehus (talk) 13:50, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
I'd be happy to review a bot for our hosting. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (     around) 13:52, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
So you suggest I host the bot on MirahezeBots? Ugochimobi (talk) 14:15, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
We would be able to host it for you. Everything is managed in puppet if you give us a link to the source code and what we need to do to set it up.
You'll then need to tell us how often to run it. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (     around) 09:43, 9 April 2021 (UTC)
Okay RhinosF1 Ugochimobi (talk) 20:04, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

Look-out

Hi Community and @Dmehus:, Please help me look out on my wiki Main Page and rate it🙇🏾‍♂️🙇🏾‍♀️ Please you can also give me a feedback probaly here or If you wanna make it private on my email (from my userpage) or your choice. Ugochimobi (talk) 15:01, 10 April 2021 (UTC)

FAMEpedia, or another wiki? WikiJS talk 12:17, 15 April 2021 (UTC)
[FAMEPedia] @WikiJS: Ugochimobi (talk) 08:33, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

Logo not working

Hello, I'm back, and This wiki's logo is not working. I shrunk the image but the file will not work, and I tried EVERYTHING. Reloading cache, adding purge extension, use a different file name, delete the file, and nothing's working. Can anyone help me? InspecterAbdel (talk) 17:57, 17 April 2021 (UTC)

InspecterAbdel Logo sizes should be 135x135px. Please try resizing, resaving, and reuploading. Note that logo changes are not instantaneous and can take up to 24 hours to refresh. This is a Varnish cache issue. Dmehus (talk) 18:14, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Dmehus, Ok, and I can't find the MediaViewer extension. How do I enable it? InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:38, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel It looks like Special:ManageWiki/extensions was recently redesigned, and I'm not sure how I feel about the tabs, as I do find that an alphabetical list was quicker to find the extension. At any rate, it should be the Multimedia Viewer extension under the "other" tab, which itself is a bit curious. Let me know if that works. Dmehus (talk) 19:00, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus:, Oh, thank you. It works now. InspecterAbdel (talk) 19:09, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel Okay, Yes check.svg great. Dmehus (talk) 19:10, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus:, and (hopefully) last question: How do I change the color of the text (Not content inside of pages, but the sidebar and topbar) InspecterAbdel (talk) 19:19, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel I assume you mean the background colour of the top navigation menu and the sidebar. If so, you'd need to find the CSS class for those elements, then define the background colour for those classes in your wiki's MediaWiki:Common.css. I'm really not a CSS expert, though, so I'd recommend joining us on Discord, on IRC in the #miraheze connect channel, or, alternatively, posting a separate, specific question in a new thread on community noticeboard, and waiting for a CSS subject matter expert to reply. Dmehus (talk) 19:24, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
No, I mean the color of the text, not the BG. InspecterAbdel (talk) 19:25, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: The tabs (namespace, talk, view history, edit, etc.) also need color. InspecterAbdel (talk) 19:30, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Hello? InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:40, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel My instructions above should apply as well, but you would just need to find the CSS class to set the background colour to those navigation and sidebar navigation menu panels. Once you have that, you should just be able to specify the background-color attribute for that class. This CSS tutorial may be of some assistance to you. Dmehus (talk) 16:45, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
I wanted to color the text itself, not the BG color, the BG color is taken care of. And the tabs. The tabs where it says Edit, View History, etc. InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:47, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
Okay, then try this CSS tutorial for specifying the color attribute to the text in the applicable CSS classes you would define in your MediaWiki:Common.css page. Dmehus (talk) 16:49, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: Except I do not know what attribute the links in the sidebar, topbar, and tabs use. InspecterAbdel (talk) 14:36, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

Help

Please How do i edit the name of a user group

I recently created an Extended confirmed implicit user group But i want to edit its name to Extended confirmed users

How?? Ugochimobi (talk) 21:01, 17 April 2021 (UTC)

Ugochimobi Do you mean to change the display name of the group, or the group name, as defined at in this example? If the former, yes, you can modify this by changing [[MediaWiki:Group-groupname]], where groupname is the name assigned to the group. If the latter, you will have to delete the group and recreate it with the correct group name. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 21:04, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Okay thanks !! Ugochimobi (talk) 21:10, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
No problem. Dmehus (talk) 21:17, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: Please is it possible to create a permission
Just as I have editsemiprotected (Edit pages protected as "Allow only autoconfirmed users")
Can i create a permission like editextendedprotected (Edit pages protected as "Allow only extendedconfirmedusers") ?? Ugochimobi (talk) 21:50, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi Yes, that's possible; however, it has to be done via a LocalSettings.php change on GitHub, which I'll do for you. Dmehus (talk) 21:52, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Do you want this restriction/protection level to be added to Famepedia, Famedata, or both? Dmehus (talk) 21:52, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Both please Ugochimobi (talk) 21:55, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi Okay, I've Yes check.svg done famepediawiki with this PR. I will do Famedata now. Note that once these are merged, you will need to create the MediaWiki interface messages on each wiki for these protection/restriction levels. I will get the exact messages to create, as these are what define the text that says Edit pages protected as "Allow only extendedconfirmedusers". Dmehus (talk) 22:13, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi I can't do Famedata as you've not yet created an Extendedconfirmed implicit user group on that wiki yet. Please advise when that's done. Dmehus (talk) 22:17, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
Okay I'll alert you when i create for FAMEData Ugochimobi (talk) 22:21, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: I need to create a Edit protected templates (templateeditor) permission also Ugochimobi (talk) 22:33, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
I've Yes check.svg done the request for Famedata wiki now. With regard to the templateeditorprotected protection/restriction level, I'll do that once the above two PRs have been merged. Thanks. Dmehus (talk) 02:00, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
Please how do I merge the above two PRs?? @Dmehus: Ugochimobi (talk) 12:18, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
And also Dmehus I can't see the editextendedprotected (Edit pages protected as "Allow only extendedconfirmedusers") permission on the permission list so I can grant it to the Extended confirmed users
Why? Ugochimobi (talk) 12:50, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
You will not be able to see or use that permission until the PRs are merged. Regarding your above question, merging PRs requires Site Reliability Engineers to perform, and they should be able to do it within 1-2 days. Please do remember that we're all volunteers, and these sort of changes are implemented as soon as humanly possible. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:24, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
Please how do i inform them that it should be merged?? I mean the SRE? Ugochimobi (talk) 19:58, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi Reception123 was able to merge the PR for Famepedia wiki; however, as the Famedata wiki PR required resolving a merge conflict and because there were other issues that came up, the Famedata PR will likely have to wait until tomorrow for him to merge, but rest assured, it will be done for you. Dmehus (talk) 20:49, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
Oh now I get! I'll patiently wait for the merge of FAMEData PR so we can proceed with the creation of templateeditor permission. Dmehus Ugochimobi (talk) 21:07, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
Please @Dmehus: do you know How i can create the permission message?? Ugochimobi (talk) 21:35, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: Please has it been merged?? Ugochimobi (talk) 20:56, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi Sorry, the other PR's not yet been merged as the past day was quite busy. I will prioritize this for merging on Reception123's agenda when he gets up first thing tomorrow morning. :) Dmehus (talk) 20:58, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Okay @Dmehus: thanks Ugochimobi (talk) 21:02, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Please I'm waiting !! Ugochimobi (talk) 21:53, 17 April 2021 (UTC)

How to get rid of edit splash screen?

An annoying popup that gets in the way.

Everytime I click 'Edit source' on any page of the wiki this popup gets in the way, until I click 'Start editing' at the bottom of it. How to turn it off for all users? Rob Kam (talk) 09:14, 18 April 2021 (UTC)

Rob Kam Yeah, I've noticed that on some wikis, and I just realized what might be the cause of that. Do you have VisualEditor installed? If so, or even if not potentially, do you have your wiki(s) set up in a single- or dual-tabbed environment? I suspect the popup occurs only on wikis with the single-tab edit environment set up. Let me know if that works, and hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:20, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
Visual editor is enabled and another problem the actual 'Edit' tab isn't there, only 'Edit source'. Setting 'Manage this wiki's additional settings' > 'VisualEditor Use Single Edit Tab ($wgVisualEditorUseSingleEditTab)' either way makes no difference. All the settings/preferences on simpleelectronicswiki are identical and that shows both the 'Edit' and 'Edit source' tab and no splash screen, (although VE there now gives the error 'Error contacting the Parsoid/RESTBase server (HTTP 403)' ... (I set you the rights on both wikis so that you can see the settings for yourself, if you want to). Rob Kam (talk) 19:26, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
Rob Kam Hrm, the 403 Parsoid/RESTBase may be unrelated and (hopefully) is a temporary occurrence. Please keep an eye on this, and raise a Phabricator task if that persists. Looking at Special:ManageWiki/settings, "edit" tab, I note that you have $wgVisualEditorEnableWikitext disabled. This causes issues when switching between visual and source editing modes within VisualEditor and, for users (such as me) who have source editor mode set to the default, forces the user to refresh the page. It's possible this may also be the cause of the splash screen issue. Do you want to try enabling that, or would you like me to? Dmehus (talk) 21:06, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
I tried enabling $wgVisualEditorEnableWikitext but no change. Please see what you can do. Rob Kam (talk) 21:30, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
Rob Kam Per your above request, I've Yes check.svg re-enabled $wgVisualEditorEnableWikitext. Initially, there was no change for me as well as I had to manually reload the page and also there was the splash screen; however, after waiting a few minutes, I got no splash screen and didn't have to reload the page I was wanting to edit anymore, either. We used to use a JavaScript version of Parsoid but switched to a PHP version of Parsoid late last year. With the older JavaScript version, it used to take ten (10) minutes for VisualEditor to be enabled or for settings changes related to VisualEditor to take effect. While you no longer have to wait ten (10) minutes with the PHP version of Parsoid, I wonder if there's still a delay of a few minutes, possibly a ManageWiki cache issue or something? Not totally sure, but please do try editing on your wiki again and see if the splash screen no longer appears. If it does, also check your preferences ("edit" tab) and ensure that "Temporarily disable the visual editor while it is in beta" and "Use the wikitext mode inside the visual editor, instead of a different wikitext editor" are unchecked. It's unlikely the former could be an issue, but it's possible the latter may in fact be. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 23:08, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
Those are the settings I have already, there's no change. Rob Kam (talk) 23:40, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
Rob Kam Hrm, I definitely don't see the splash screen, though, so there must be some other preference setting you have set that it is causing it to appear. I'll try and look into this a bit further. Dmehus (talk) 23:46, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
@Rob Kam: disable $wgVisualEditorShowBetaWelcome in Special:ManageWiki/settings "Beta" tab, and that should remove it.
Universal Omega Yeah, that potentially does make sense as well, as I did wonder about that a bit as well, but it doesn't explain why the splash screen does not show for me even though that setting is still enabled. Also, I think your signature may be incompatible with DiscussionTools, as the "reply" link does not appear after your reply, so if you could fix that, that'd be great, too. Thanks. Dmehus (talk) 00:06, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Yes that's fixed it, thank you. There is still the other problem that although VE is enabled the 'Edit' tab is missing, and the wiki only has 'Edit source'. Rob Kam (talk) 00:52, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── @Dmehus: the 403 error was caused by my tweaking at the permissions, fixed by allowing writeapi for group Users. Rob Kam (talk) 10:35, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

Rob Kam Ah, yes, that makes sense actually. While it's good you were able to resolve it by adding writeapi to your user group, note that some extensions which rely on system user maintenance scripts, which aren't real registered users, require writeapi to be included within the * user group, so I do personally recommend including it in the * group. If you're concerned anonymous users may edit through the API, this won't be possible, as writeapi is a contingent user right in that it would still require the edit user right, which anonymous users would not have on your wiki(s). Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:24, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

Wth is this!?

Today, I went to naasgamelandwiki and an internal error gave me this message:

MediaWiki internal error.

Original exception: [1bb668179c755ad2623d990f] 2021-04-19 00:41:16: Fatal exception of type "MediaWiki\Storage\NameTableAccessException"

Exception caught inside exception handler.

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.

what does that mean?? — Preceding unsigned comment added by InspecterAbdel (talkcontribs) 00:42, 18 April 2021 (UTC)

InspecterAbdel Can you please raise a Phabricator ticket regarding this? This likely will need to be traced, investigated, and actioned by Site Reliability Engineering. Thank you. Dmehus (talk) 00:52, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
It didn't send me an email that lets me verify my account. I clicked resend multiple times. So I can't create my account. InspecterAbdel (talk) 02:07, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel Oh, do you have an Outlook e-mail address? If so, that could be the issue. What's your Phabricator username you tried to create? I can have Reception123 reset your Phabricator account e-mail address for you. Dmehus (talk) 02:12, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Yes check.svg Fixed. Reception123 (talk) (C) 11:18, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

$wgNamespaceProtection

I made a new setting called "editarchive", and it said in Create Namespace that you should see it in $wgNamespaceProtection, but there is no such setting in Special:ManageWiki/settings. Can anyone tell me where you can access this setting? InspecterAbdel (talk) 14:10, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

Will anyone respond? InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:06, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
You can't create user rights in Special:ManageWiki. You can, however, protect a namespace using an existing user right from Special:ListGroupRights on your wiki. Alternatively, you can use your Phabricator account to request a restriction/protection level user right be created for your wiki. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 18:11, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

Namespace tab

How do I change the text in the Namespace tab? I already changed the one for the Talk page (I changed "Discussion" to "Talk"), and I want to change "Page" to "Article". InspecterAbdel (talk) 15:51, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

InspecterAbdel This is controlled by specifying the text for your namespace(s) using the following interface message: [[MediaWiki:Nstab-namespacename]]. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 16:15, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Yes check.svg Thank you, it works! InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:18, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Okay, great. That's great to hear! Dmehus (talk) 16:21, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus:, oh and how do you change the text of custom user-rights? If you don't know what I mean, it says You need to have the group "cocreator", "administrators"; and I want it to say "Co-Creators" InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:24, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
This file can explain it Screenshot 2021-04-19 11.20.19 AM.png InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:28, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel There are several interface messages for this. That is likely pulling the data from [[MediaWiki:Group-groupnname]]; however, there is also [[MediaWiki:Group-groupnname-member]], which is seen in the Special:ListUsers lists of users you may wish to modify. You also modify the page name location of your group documentation pages with [[MediaWiki:Grouppage-groupnname]]. Groupname is the name of the group from Special:ManageWiki/permissions/sysop, as an example, where sysop is the group name for the administrators group. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 16:32, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Yes, but it makes things inconsistent. In ListUsers, it says that I'm a "Co-Creators" but if I logout and view source of the Main Page, it works fine because it says "The action you have requested is limited to users in one of the groups: Co-Creators, Moderators, Administrators, Users." and not "cocreator". InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:38, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
That's why you need to have consistent verbiage across your interface messages. Personally, for the "group" interface messages, I use "Administrators," "Bureaucrats," "Founders," "Editors," etc., and for the "-member" messages, I use all lower case and singular, like "administrator," "bureaucrat," "founder," "editor," etc. In your case, following this example, you'd use "Co-Creators" for the former and "co-creator" for the latter. Dmehus (talk) 16:42, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: Yes check.svg Thank you, it works! InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:45, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Okay, great! No problem. :) Dmehus (talk) 16:47, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: and may you please answer my question in #$wgNamespaceProtection? InspecterAbdel (talk) 17:19, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel You can't create user rights in Special:ManageWiki. You can, however, protect a namespace using an existing user right from Special:ListGroupRights on your wiki. Alternatively, you can use your Phabricator account to request a restriction/protection level user right be created for your wiki. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 18:10, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Ok, can you put editarchive to naasgamelandwiki? I'm using a school computer because I can't access the acc. verification rn InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:13, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus:, and how do I blacklist URLs? InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:15, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
@InspecterAbdel: add URLs to MediaWiki:Spam-blacklist. --Anton (talk) 18:21, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

Suggestion

Oversight usergroup

I have found the latest Wikimedia Tech News (diff), that they are changing the user group "Oversighters" the name of another file name "suppressors" for technical reasons. I noticed in the ListGroupRights special page that we also have an Oversight group in use, so will we change this setting too? Thanks for answers. --Anton (talk) 18:31, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

Anton I wasn't aware of that, but as it sounds like a default name change in MediaWiki software. We should still be able to continue using the oversight name; it may just require us to override the default name in the applicable interface message(s). Basically, from my understanding, the MediaWiki:Group-oversight-member interface message is becoming MediaWiki:Group-suppress-member, but the actual group name is not changing. All we'll likely need to update is our MirahezeMagic interface message overrides. Dmehus (talk) 18:34, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Yes, I know those MediaWiki messages in the namespace. Let’s wait for the moment, at least now for the beginning, when the change has taken effect in Wikimedia. --Anton (talk) 18:39, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
This is part of core changes as far as I can see so won't affect us until 1.37 where we can make a call. It's only the internal name though not whats displayed. I'll keep an eye though. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (     around) 19:27, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Note that this is not internal. I wonder why we even have an override. R4356th 3,337 Local Contributions Logged Actions Rights CentralAuth (talk) 19:41, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
I'm wondering if our permissions scheme has just prevented these changes from being rolled out passively. Given that our default permissions loadout isn't specified by the MediaWiki default, but rather by the ManageWiki/permissions default and the few additional overrides. If anything, this could just be a note for us to update from Oversight to suppressors as well. -- Void Whispers 19:50, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
+1 to the idea of updating the role name, I am sure many if not most people who also use WMF wikis will get the hang of this correct name soon (probably in a month, when WMF roles out the change). R4356th 3,337 Local Contributions Logged Actions Rights CentralAuth (talk) 22:28, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

How do I use Special:MassMessage correctly?

Everytime I use it, it just creates a log action but no message. InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:59, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

You probably need to send a message to a page (or category) containing a list of pages to send it to, rather directly to, say, a target page. Though not essential, if sending to a page containing your list of pages, it's helpful to change that page's content model to the MassMessage content model. Dmehus (talk) 19:02, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Please feel free to visit this page on TestWiki to request sysop and bureaucrat permissions to test Special:MassMessage, if you want. Dmehus (talk) 19:06, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: I requested. InspecterAbdel (talk) 19:16, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

VisualEditor

I don't understand why VisualEditor desapered. Theres no more 'Edit' tab... Acutally I would like it to be the only edit tab. Emmanuel (talk) 19:13, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

Could you check Special:ManageWiki/namespaces and ensure that visual editor is enabled in the expected namespaces? If that doesn't fix the issue, then could you link to your wiki so I (or others) can take a closer look? -- Void Whispers 22:34, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Yes ! Thank you, it works now but, only for unregistred users the edit tab dispays "source edit" instead of "edit" and on Chrome the VisualEditor dosen't run by default. I would like it to always run by default, without "welcome to beta message". The Wiki Emmanuel (talkcontribs) 00:01, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

Next Miraheze Limited Board of Directors' Meeting

Evening all, please see the Agenda for the next Directors' meeting taking place on April 25th, 2021. Further agenda points are welcome or other points of discussion time-permitting. Thank you, Owen (talk) 19:45, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

All of my contributions are being hidden.

On Awesome Games Wiki, none of my edits show up on the recent changes. In addition, a few logs such as the block log don't show up either. Does anyone know why this is happening? --DeciduousWater534 (talk) 22:11, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

The bureaucrat (and founder) groups on that wiki appear to have the bot permission. This prevents the changes and logs generated by users with this permission from showing up in recent changes, but can still be viewed if you update the filters. I'd recommend removing this permission from those groups. -- Void Whispers 22:33, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
That solved the issue, thanks. --DeciduousWater534 (talk) 01:20, 20 April 2021 (UTC)

Volunteer Opportunities

Hello all,

I just wanted to inquire about something. I've been looking for ways that I can help out within Miraheze, and I see that there are numerous opportunities available, a lot of which require an election process. I was just wondering what you more experienced users out there would recommend that I start by doing in the community so that I can build up necessary experience for other positions of responsibility. Thanks! Turtle84375 (talk) 07:41, 20 April 2021 (UTC)

Lost on Infoboxes

I've just imported the XML required for infoboxes onto my Wiki, but I'm stuck on what to do now. Whenever I go to the Template:Infobox page on my wiki, it just displays a red link to some page called "Template:Documentation". So, yeah, I'm totally stuck. CheeseMilkYogurt (talk) 19:46, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

What's your wiki? @CheeseMilkYogurt: Ugochimobi (talk) 07:31, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
Your template requires a template "Documentation". Your template should be working anyway because the missing template is not included, LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 08:13, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
@Ugochimobi: You have deleted the template "Documentation" by yourself. Do you really know what you are doing? LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 08:17, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
Sorry @Lily: That was supposed to be for @CheeseMilkYogurt: i guess 🙂 Ugochimobi (talk) 08:21, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
@Ugochimobi: You are so right, I am deeply sorry, LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 09:50, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
@Lily: THAT'S NOTHING YOU KNOW... Ugochimobi (talk) 12:59, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
@Ugochimobi: Sorry I missed your birthday, best wishes afterwards! LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 09:02, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
Wow!! @Lily: how did you know my birthday??😃😃 Ugochimobi (talk) 09:20, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
@Ugochimobi: You published it on your famepedia user page, I took a look into the source code (I know I should not reveal my secrets 🙂) LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 09:38, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
Anyways thanks @Lily: :) Ugochimobi (talk) 10:29, 21 April 2021 (UTC)

Question

Is there a criteria for custom domain wikis and inactivity exemptions? Like maybe you need to have the wiki be a month old or something? InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:03, 20 April 2021 (UTC)

InspecterAbdel For custom domains, there is not too many conditions, other than if you are using Cloudflare for your DNS hosting, you must uncheck the orange proxy option. You can even request a free domain name from Freenom, if you wish. With regard to inactivity exemptions, there is not a codified criteria, but generally speaking, we assess both content quantity as well as quality and need (i.e., number of editors, number of new user creations, number of edits or log actions, etc.). Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 16:08, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: And for some reason, this issue, which has been bugging me even before I got GDPR'd, the number of files, edits, and articles are not accurate when displayed using magic words. Why? InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:53, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: Another question, how do you edit the topbar? I already know there's a Sidebar interface page, but I don't know what MW page changes the topbar (with logout and etc.) InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:59, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel As far as I know, the top navigation menu needs to be customized via creating a JavaScript and adding it to your wiki's MediaWiki:Common.js file, or creating a gadget in MediaWiki namespaces which users can optionally enable. Joritochip assisted Rob Kam with a similar request, so may be able to assist you. Dmehus (talk) 17:02, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
@InspecterAbdel: JavaScript is required to add new items to the personal links bar in the top right. You can use mw.util.addPortletLink() to accomplish this (documentation for that method can be found here). If you need additional help implementing this on your wiki you can reply to me here or let me know on my talk page, I'd be happy to help you further. Joritochip (talk) 22:45, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel I assume you mean your recreated naasgamelandwiki, and not your previously deleted wiki. In any case, there's a couple things for this. Only pages in your wiki's Main namespace, or other namespaces where specified, that treat pages as "content pages" are counted. Also, from time to time, these values can be out of date. In such an event, you can request Site Reliability Engineering run a maintenance script with a Phabricator request. Please {{ping}} Reception123 if you need him to change your e-mail address to a non-Outlook e-mail address, but do DM or e-mail him your e-mail address(es) and please don't post them publicly. Thanks. Dmehus (talk) 17:07, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
There are 4 <Main> pages on naasgamelandwiki, 1 is a redirect. InspecterAbdel (talk) 17:12, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
I would not recommend free domains from Freenom for anyone, as freenom is known for closing the domains of a website with a ton of traffic, then proceeding to blacklist/ban you from their services, and don't get me started on their crappy customer service. If you ask them why you got blocked, they'd be like "A block is a block. Deal with it, greetings, (name here). It's a freaking permanent block from the service. You would be better off getting a .(domain name here) from namecheap, one of the most liked domain sellers, than Freenom. WikiJS talk 18:12, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
My website uses HostGator anyways. InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:30, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
Another good one, and I assume you already have a domain, correct? WikiJS talk 18:43, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
It's a separate website unrelated to Miraheze. InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:46, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
I know, but do you have a domain registered yourwiki.com, .net, etc? WikiJS talk 19:12, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
Yes. But I'm not going to reveal it, yet. InspecterAbdel (talk) 19:29, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
Alright, and to set your wiki to the domain, follow these steps. WikiJS talk 19:34, 21 April 2021 (UTC)

Hello

Is it possible to change the number of a namespace eg. <Main> = 0 <Talk> = 1 etc.??? Ugochimobi (talk) 21:33, 20 April 2021 (UTC)

Ugochimobi It may be technically possible, but since this is a wiki farm and also since those are core MediaWiki namespaces, it would be very messy, so I'm going to say no or, at the very least, it would be strongly not recommended. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 21:36, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
I actually have an issue with my Draft and Draft talk namespace numbering, They're currently Draft: 3002 and Draft talk:3003
They're normally supposed to be Draft:118 and Draft talk:119
Please help. @Dmehus: Ugochimobi (talk) 21:41, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi I assume you're referring to Draft: and Draft talk: namespaces on English Wikipedia. Why would it matter if they are 3002 and 3003 on Miraheze, though? If some of your templates call namespace IDs 118 and 119, you should be able to use a text replacement or mass edit regex extension to make those text replacements to your namespace IDs. Dmehus (talk) 21:44, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
Thanks! You're awesome! @Dmehus: Ugochimobi (talk) 21:47, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
No problem. :) Dmehus (talk) 22:08, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
{{NAMESPACENUMBER:{{ns:Draft}}:Test}} should produce the correct namespacenumber no matter what the exact number in the specific wiki is, here an example: Namespace Module has the namespacenumber 828 LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 08:39, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
Oh. Thanks there! Ugochimobi (talk) 09:31, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
Yes, thanks, Lily. I actually wasn't aware of that magic word. That should likely be very helpful. Dmehus (talk) 13:38, 21 April 2021 (UTC)

Article Assessment

I need to enable article assessment for my wiki, I mean the #assessment parser function doesn't work. Please do I enable it, Is it an extension or what?? Ugochimobi (talk) 17:13, 21 April 2021 (UTC)

That parser function becomes a MediaWiki extension PageAssessments that is not used in Miraheze. If you want it, you can ask it to be installed in Phabricator. Thanks. --Anton (talk) 18:34, 21 April 2021 (UTC)

Please Help

How do I see all the pages in a particular namespace, specifically I want to see all the pages in the Draft namespace
How Please Ugochimobi (talk) 17:42, 22 April 2021 (UTC)

Ugochimobi Special:AllPages should work, which you can qualify with Special:AllPages/0, for all pages in (Main) namespace. To my knowledge, you can even transclude that special page with {{Special:AllPages/0}}. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 18:09, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
Thanks man. You're awesome! Ugochimobi (talk) 18:12, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
Afaik you can qualify only with the namespace name, not with the number [[Special:AllPages/MediaWiki: in namespace 8 MediaWiki]] --LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 20:26, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
Lily Oh, interesting. TIL something new...I just assumed it was qualified with the namespace number, not the namespace name. Namespace name is actually easier to remember. ;) Dmehus (talk) 20:29, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: I just tested the link you have entered. You can add a string after the colon, the display will start with that string. So you can produce an alphabetical linklist e.g. [[Special:AllPages/Template:m in namespace 10 Template starting with m]]

Is it possible to recover account

I have an alt with the username User:Mirahexe which is registered very long ago. Its username violates the username rules, and now it's blocked. I received a message in the talk page too, but I didn't see the message because I don't log on to it a lot. In the message, it told me to change the name in a link but it was far too late, I can't log in to the account now. Now I'm just asking if it's possible to unblock the account and rename it. Anpang (talk) 01:22, 23 April 2021 (UTC)

Anpang Yes, it's possible, I can unlock it for you to do this, but only if I know you still know your login credentials to the account. Dmehus (talk) 01:24, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
I still know my password to the account. Anpang (talk) 01:29, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
Anpang Yes check.svg Accepted and unlocked to request a global rename. Dmehus (talk) 01:33, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
Thanks! I requested the name change. Also replying from this account so you know that I'm already logged in. Mirahexe (talk) 01:37, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
Face-smile.svg Thank you for that, for requesting the global rename, and for your diplomacy and grace. The global rename has now been Yes check.svg completed. As a recommended best practice, please try and keep this username for at least twelve months (if not longer). Dmehus (talk) 01:43, 23 April 2021 (UTC)

About Inputbox

Please tell me the specifications of Inputbox. How do I resize the section level of the input box to create a new comment?

I want Inputbox to put (=== titlesub ===) under one big heading (== title ==) in the input box. Please tell me how to do it.--虎之介 (talk) 13:43, 18 April 2021 (UTC) 虎之介 (talk) 13:43, 18 April 2021 (UTC)

虎之介 Have you tried looking in any of the extension's info pages? I would look there for starters. Turtle84375 (talk) 20:23, 24 April 2021 (UTC)

Permission Help

Hi please I want a System admin to help deleted the extended confirmed user group in my famepedia wiki from the backend and its impossible for me to delete from over here. I wanna recreate it cuz I'm having some conflicts. @Dmehus: Ugochimobi (talk) 21:58, 23 April 2021 (UTC)

Ugochimobi We've just completed the addition of the restriction level, so I'm not sure why you're wanting to delete either that or your extended confirmed users group. Instead of proposing to delete something that was only recently added, can you instead describe what issue(s) you are having? The reason I ask is because I've tested protection on both wikis, and did not encounter any issues. Dmehus (talk) 22:18, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
Am I confused?.., Lol I actually want the user group to appear like Extended confirmed but the name should be extendedconfirmed Do you get me? @Dmehus: Ugochimobi (talk) 22:22, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi Oh, yes, I see what you mean, and I wondered if you intended for Extendedconfirmed to contain an initial capital letter or not. This can be changed if you really want, but the group name should not contain spaces and, ideally, underscores as well. If you just want to change the displayed name of the group, you would just define that with MediaWiki:Group-Extendedconfirmed and MediaWiki:Group-Extendedconfirmed. In the page text, you would type: Extended confirmed users. I can create them for you if you want. Dmehus (talk) 23:10, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: I want the page text to be Extended confirmed users but I want the internal name to be extendedconfirmed without any capitalization. for example, sysop for Administrators Ugochimobi (talk) 19:31, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
Ugochimobi Oh, okay. You can take care of the page text with the above-noted MediaWiki interface messages, though I would recommend, strongly, an initial character of the first word capitalized. And you can't delete the user group in ManageWiki? I mean, yes, I get the idea of wanting to delete and recreate that group, but it will mean another GitHub PR on the one wiki (the other wiki it's not capitalized). Are you still needing template editor protection as well, or do you think you might not need that at the moment? Dmehus (talk) 19:44, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
Okay. Just let go of the group. Yes i need the (templateeditor) Edit protected templates protecton for both wikis. @Dmehus: Ugochimobi (talk) 19:51, 24 April 2021 (UTC)

Glitched extension

I am an admin on Weather Radio Wiki, and there is a strange glitch that whenever you try to type something in the search bar, it will always say "No match was found". I have tried to find out what extension this is but all to no avail. What extension is it so I can disable it until it is fixed. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 16:45, 24 April 2021 (UTC)

Blubabluba9990 Hmm, that's strange. I tried it myself, and it looks like it doesn't affect the performance of the search bar, but I typed in the name of a valid page, and indeed it told me there was "No match." It looks like something is going wrong in the "autocomplete," though if you hit enter even if it says "No match was found," the search still returns the valid page as it should. Not sure what's causing it, but someone else may be able to help with that. Turtle84375 (talk) 20:17, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
Yeah. It also does it on Mixed TV Shows Wiki. I have tried looking in the ManageWiki log for the specific extension but I couldn't find it. It could be a glitch with autocomplete. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 20:22, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
I've heard that it can be the TitleKey extension, but I haven't looked into it myself. -- Void Whispers 20:28, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
Ok Blubabluba9990 (talk) 20:32, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
I just disabled the TitleKey extension but it is still happening. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 20:35, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
Have you enabled the Wikibase extension? If so, that is what must have caused it. You can disable this from the "Wikibase" section in ManageWiki. R4356th 3,337 Local Contributions Logged Actions Rights CentralAuth (talk) 20:39, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
I will try that. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 20:39, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
I disabled the extensions with “wikibase” in the title but it still happens. I couldn’t find a specific “wikibase” extension, but in the Additional Settings there is a whole category called wikibase but no extensions with that title. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 20:44, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
Nvm it worked. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 20:45, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
Hola User:Blubabluba9990. Puede ser esta extensión: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AdvancedSearch (la segunda de la lista "otros").
En la página de Mediawiki dice: Había una extensión con el mismo nombre que no se mantuvo y nunca estuvo lista para su uso en un entorno de producción y se archivó en 2013. Extensión archivada.
Aún no sé dónde (soy nuevo por aquí), pero habría que avisar para que la eliminen de la lista de Manage Wiki. Saludos cordiales. Hugo Ar (talk) 02:17, 25 April 2021 (UTC)
Translated by Google Translator
Hello, User:Blubabluba9990. It can be this extension: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AdvancedSearch (the second in the "others" list).
On the Mediawiki page it says: There was an extension with the same name that was unmaintained and never ready for use in a production environment and was archived in 2013. Archived extension.
I still don't know where (I'm new around here), but it would be necessary to warn to remove it from the Manage Wiki list. Best regards. Hugo Ar (talk) 02:17, 25 April 2021 (UTC)
I already fixed the problem. And I had tried Advanced Search prior but it wasn't the problem extension. This problem has been fixed though.
I would suggest maybe fixing the Wikibase extensions since that is what caused the problem. Blubabluba9990 (talk) 14:42, 25 April 2021 (UTC)

Requesting Bureaucrat status on the amazinggameplaywiki.

Since the original bureaucrat of the Amazing Gameplay Wiki is no longer around, I'd like to become the next bureaucrat of that wiki as I've made this announcement on that said wiki. In short, I would appreciate it if I was casted as a bureaucrat since the other one is no longer here. DarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 13:48, 25 April 2021 (UTC)

DarkMatterMan4500 This isn't really in scope of community noticeboard, unless you're asking how to go about this. Generally speaking, in such cases where local bureaucrat(s) are relatively inactive, you need to hold a local election, ideally already being a constructive and productive contributor to the wiki, following these guidelines and taking into account any local permissions elections policies on the wiki as may exist. When your election has concluded, you can post your request at stewards' noticeboard for a Steward to review. Dmehus (talk) 13:55, 25 April 2021 (UTC)
Oh yeah, I forgot all about that. DarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 13:56, 25 April 2021 (UTC)

The discussion tab on Great Characters Wiki has been broken for months.

I can't use the discussion tab on Great Characters Wiki anymore, because whenever I try to do so, all I get is a lengthy error code and a message that says something along the lines of "Fatal exception of type "Flow\Exception\UnknownWorkflowdException"". This problem has been going on for four months and it hasn't been fixed yet. Can this be fixed or is it broken beyond repair? SuperStreetKombat (talk) 02:47, 23 April 2021 (UTC)

Do you use StructuredDiscussions? WikiJS talk 18:01, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
They do InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:07, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
Seems as of the wiki does, so we need a local bureaucrat, @DarkMatterMan4500:, or @MarioMario456: to remove the extension, as it seems to be related to that extension. WikiJS talk 18:09, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
I don't like flow. Disabling it is a good idea. InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:13, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
IMO, flow is a decent extension but is better for help pages, anything else should use DiscussionTools. WikiJS talk 18:24, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
I believe this is likely related to a configuration issue on the wiki. For example, on that wiki, I believe, or perhaps a different wiki, I had to add the writeapi to the * user group. Not saying that's the issue here, but it could be something like a namespace content model issue, potentially. StructuredDiscussions is actually a decent, fairly bug-free discussion extension. I do like it, and prefer it over the Comments or WikiForum extension. CommentStreams is also a good option, but the issue there is that it creates individual comment and thread pages, which can clutter things up when importing a wiki onto another platform. Dmehus (talk) 18:43, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
WikiJS You called me? DarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 21:26, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
Yes, on Great Characters Wiki, there is an error when users go on the discussion page. I get [Random Letters and Numbers] 2021-04-26 12:17:33: Fatal exception of type "Flow\Exception\UnknownWorkflowIdException". I suspect it is caused by the extension StructuredDiscussions, so disabling it might fix it. If not, you can re-enable it. WikiJS talk 12:19, 26 April 2021 (UTC)

Pulling info from Wikidata

Is it possible to pull data from Wikidata into a Miraheze wiki? Like I want to on a page just add the Wikidata ID and pull some properties (if they exist). --Sabelöga (talk) 23:19, 25 April 2021 (UTC)

You can either import dumps of the items and properties from Wikidata or add Wikidata as an import source (should be requested on Phabricator) for your wiki which would add Wikidata to Special:Import allowing you to directly import items and properties directly without downloading dumps. Is that what you are looking for or do you want automation? R4356th 3,337 Local Contributions Logged Actions Rights CentralAuth (talk) 16:03, 27 April 2021 (UTC)

Extremely annoying file issue

How do you change the black in transparent backgrounds? Every single black color mixes in! The Two Boys is what I'm talking about. InspecterAbdel (talk) 15:27, 26 April 2021 (UTC)

Can people please respond faster? InspecterAbdel (talk) 17:47, 26 April 2021 (UTC)
Please be patient. We are all volunteers here and among other things have real life responsibilities. Someone will respond when they are able to. Reception123 (talk) (C) 18:49, 26 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel Hi, I'd try to help you, but I don't have access to your wiki, it looks like it's a private wiki, so you'd either need to read-whitelist the page temporarily, or have Steward/global sysop help you. Turtle84375 (talk) 19:26, 26 April 2021 (UTC)
They could, alternatively, temporarily grant you member permissions, too, if the problem occurs on more than a page or two. Dmehus (talk) 19:47, 26 April 2021 (UTC)
@Turtle84375: I changed the image to non transparent, but I'll temporariily give you member. InspecterAbdel (talk) 11:06, 27 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel Do you still want it transparent, then, or are you fine with just non-transparent? Turtle84375 (talk) 00:46, 28 April 2021 (UTC)
I am fine with transparent InspecterAbdel (talk) 02:47, 28 April 2021 (UTC)
InspecterAbdel Glad I see that you worked it out! Turtle84375 (talk) 06:53, 28 April 2021 (UTC)

Kindly Help Me

Please theres a little issue with one Dot-separator missing in my wiki. for ensample the tag in this article in the Find sources: "Suresh Pritam" – news⧼Dot-separator⧽newspapers⧼Dot-separator⧽books⧼Dot-separator⧽scholar⧼Dot-separator⧽JSTOR I believe that is supposed to be a separator. and i found out that its from mediawiki software.
How do i get it?? Ugochimobi (talk) 21:17, 26 April 2021 (UTC)

Ugochimobi Yes check.svg Done. As a bit of a helpful telp, if ever you see {Some-message-name} in curly braces, it is likely an undefined MediaWiki interface message. To find out which message it is, try searching for the first part of the message name (before the hyphen) in Special:AllMessages. Dmehus (talk) 21:52, 26 April 2021 (UTC)
@Dmehus: Can you imagine, I never thought of that 🤣 Thanks very much man Ugochimobi (talk) 07:17, 27 April 2021 (UTC)
No problem. :) Dmehus (talk) 13:13, 27 April 2021 (UTC)

Synth DIY Wiki listed twice at WikiDiscover

At WikiDiscover the Synth DIY Wiki is listed twice, with the first link going to Miraheze.org. Please can this be fixed? Rob Kam (talk) 14:40, 27 April 2021 (UTC)

Rob Kam This is because the previous wiki is a deleted wiki, which will be Yes check.svg resolved the next time the wiki deletion script to drop deleted wiki database is run (likely to be done in the next couple weeks). Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:44, 27 April 2021 (UTC)
Thanks, that's fine. Rob Kam (talk) 15:15, 27 April 2021 (UTC)

How can I change the background of my wiki?

How can I? SoyokoAnis 16:46, 27 April 2021 (UTC)

@SoyokoAnis: You can enter in your MediaWiki:Common.css the following code: body { background-color: #ff0000 } read more about background CSS here; CSS background Property --LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 17:06, 27 April 2021 (UTC)
Here you can find a good expample for background: Common.css on crappygames --LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 06:36, 28 April 2021 (UTC)

Volunteers

Does anyone want to volunteer at mywikipedia.miraheze.org? Iron Sword 22 (talk) 13:24, 28 April 2021 (UTC)

Sure. SoyokoAnis 17:33, 28 April 2021 (UTC)
@Iron Sword 22 What will I do there? SoyokoAnis 17:35, 28 April 2021 (UTC)
It's like Wikipedia, but a newer version of it. Iron Sword 22 (talk) 17:37, 28 April 2021 (UTC)
Also, I could make you a logo or favicon or both if you want? SoyokoAnis 17:37, 28 April 2021 (UTC)
Sure. Iron Sword 22 (talk) 17:40, 28 April 2021 (UTC)
@Iron Sword 22 Let's discuss on the talk page of it then. SoyokoAnis 17:45, 28 April 2021 (UTC)

Should you join King Cobra

King Cobra Studio(KCS) is a simple organization of 3. We create films and games Well you can join. KingCobraStudio (talk) 20:29, 28 April 2021 (UTC)

I don't think advertising is a good idea. SoyokoAnis 20:46, 28 April 2021 (UTC)
It's okay as it's community noticeboard and he's inviting users to join his wiki. That being said, his wiki has yet to be approved, so this is a bit premature. It would've been better to wait for the requested wiki to have been approved. Additionally, it would've been more helpful to include a specific request he's needing help with. If just listing a wiki to visit, we have Gazetteer of wikis and the automatically generated Special:WikiDiscover. Dmehus (talk) 20:48, 28 April 2021 (UTC)

Should Caroline be PG

We all know that Caroline is a horrifying movie but should it be PG--KingCobraStudio (talk) 21:55, 28 April 2021 (UTC)

Welcome to Miraheze and to Meta Wiki. Please note that community noticeboard is meant for requesting help with specific questions or problems regarding your wiki, requesting interwiki changes on your wiki, having a pan-Miraheze community discussion, or limited other uses, and isn't rather a social network. This sort of thing would be better discussed in the #miraheze-offtopic connect channel on IRC or on your own Discord server. Thank you for understanding. Dmehus (talk) 21:58, 28 April 2021 (UTC)