Community noticeboard

From Meta
Jump to navigation Jump to search
OOjs UI icon userGroup-ltr.svgCommunity noticeboard
This noticeboard is community discussions, generally global in nature or which relate to specific wikis or users. For requests that require Steward or Global Sysop intervention, please see the Stewards' noticeboard. If in doubt, please try here first, and you will be directed there if the matter requires a Steward. For discussion pertaining to Meta only, please visit the Meta Community portal.

On Community noticeboard, you can:

  • Start a community discussion, generally global in nature or which relates to specific wiki(s).
  • Solicit volunteers' assistance to help maintain or write content for your wiki
  • Ask questions with both the global community and system administrators about either Miraheze or some technical aspect of MediaWiki on your wiki
  • Request changes to your wiki's local interwiki table, including change(s) to locally override one or more of the global interwiki table (located on Meta) prefix configurations

If you would like to request...


To add your request, type in a concise title in the box below, then click "Add Topic".

Archives of Community noticeboard [e]   



Discussion: Central notice changes

This is for the sake of having an open discussion on the changes proposed in this RfC, though I won't really touch much on the last proposal that was added by another person (of course, you're welcome to talk about that as well nonetheless). Hopefully this comment will at least make it clear what the proposals I brought up are intended to mean. Also, please ask nicely if you would like clarity on anything at all.

The first one to discuss is the following:

Central notices with the purpose of soliciting participation from wiki communities for an event or a discussion should last while that event or discussion is open for people to participate. As in, the central notice would only be removed after the event or discussion has closed.

Let's start by saying that this is not changing what a central notice is made for. It's not saying that every discussion gets a central notice, what it's saying applies in the instance when the people who make central notices decide that a discussion will get a central notice, which is still at their judgement. This talk page comment might show some insight on what such judgement it is, which again they would still retain. What changes is specifically the duration of such particular central notices, in that it would be in relation to the discussion that it would be notifying of.

The discussions being referred to can be gleaned from Special:CentralNotice (click "Show archived campaigns" to see the older ones). It is what is meant to gather people to provide their input and feedback, and this description fits, for example, Requests for Comment or Requests for Stewardship. And if they have yet to be closed by the closer, then the closer presumably decided that it needs more time to gather more comments before a conclusion can be drawn. If so, the methods used to notify of the discussion's existence should get continued use to gather more discussion from people.

Another proposal to discuss is the following:

A campaign type can be set for central notice campaigns, allowing users to opt out of specific campaign types in their preferences, specifically in the "Banners" section. Here is a proposal for what campaign types Miraheze should use:

  • Fundraising
  • Surveys
  • Maintenance
  • Requests for Comment
  • Requests for Stewardship
  • Requests for Community Director

To make it clear how to use preferences to opt-out of campaign types, some text instructing people how to do so should be added to central notices.

In technical terms, campaign types are configured with $wgCentralNoticeCampaignTypes in LocalSettings.php.

This can presumably work with ManageWiki to apply for a whole wiki. To sysadmins, this would presumably be done by using a custom variable to set $wgDefaultUserOptions['centralnotice-display-campaign-type-whatever'] = 0.

Now, in regards to how to decide on the campaign types to be used, I'd say that having the communities' consensus is still relevant, in the case of disputes over what should be grouped together or partitioned. And the RfC does show a dispute over whether Requests for Global Sysop should be included, excluded, or grouped with another type. So it would at least be useful to have some sort of discussion with wiki communities to figure out what's best.

In response to other comments in the RfC: Including Requests for Global Sysop in the list of campaign types does not mean that every single one of that request gets a central notice, it is meant to mean that a RfGS would be allowed to get a central notice, which would still have the judgement of the people who make central notices to actually get one. And people should be able to decide for themselves if they want to opt out of seeing certain central notices, and I figure that if someone desires a tool to stop seeing a certain kind of notification, they likely aren't interested in what's being notified about in the first place. Finally, it was concluded in this RfC that there is consensus for community-oriented posts to be posted on Miraheze's social media accounts, therefore a community-elected role would be appropriate.

Feel free to say your thoughts on any of these topics. K599 (talk) 15:29, 1 December 2021 (UTC)[reply]

@K599: And will there be a way to disable CNotice for some, and leave only fundraising? YellowFrogger (Talk Edits) 15:33, 1 December 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@YellowFrogger As said in the explanation of how campaign types work, people should be able to go into their preferences and opt-out of the types that they don't want to see. K599 (talk) 16:27, 1 December 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@K599: But there has to be an option to hide it across the whole wiki (not just in preferences), but yes, all visitors to a particular wiki would be better. Nobody is obligated to see CNotice either, so it had to have that. Showing only CNotice for fundraising, which is important for Miraheze to maintain the wikis maintenance, the others don't matter (or only matter in Meta). YellowFrogger (Talk Edits) 19:59, 1 December 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@YellowFrogger I mentioned above that there's presumably a way to make campaign types work with ManageWiki, though I suppose a sysadmin should comment on the method I talked about. K599 (talk) 20:19, 1 December 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Note that the list of campaign types proposed in my initial comment is based on past central notices as seen on Special:CentralNotice. Of course, feel free to discuss any desired changes to the list. K599 (talk) 03:04, 8 December 2021 (UTC)[reply]
For some added context, the banner preferences can be seen in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-centralnotice-banners, where it's currently the extension's defaults. These options have been unused probably due to being unrelated to Miraheze. K599 (talk) 03:46, 22 December 2021 (UTC)[reply]
This talk page discussion has a review of the proposed list of campaign types. In response:
@Dmehus: Okay, but I would prefer that "Community Notices" have a page that explains what would fall under this label. Then this page would be linked, if possible, from the related user preference and, if implemented, the related ManageWiki setting proposed in the community wishlist proposal. K599 (talk) 01:29, 2 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I think it'd be useful to consider above suggestions like the instructions thing as well. K599 (talk) 03:25, 13 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Finding a conclusion on campaign types

  • There was a talk page discussion that reviewed a list of campaign types, but it seems that no sort of action has been concretely decided on.
  • Reiterating what's been explained before, campaign types refers to Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-centralnotice-banners, a user preference that is used to choose what types of central notices to have displayed for your own account.
  • Currently, as can be seen by checking your preferences, the configured campaign types don't particularly reflect how Miraheze uses central notices (see Special:CentralNotice). Hence the suggestion above for a more appropriate list of campaign types. The description for the preference also makes reference to Wikimedia rather than this wikifarm, which probably confuses people.
  • This community wishlist proposal would also need campaign types to be configured to be useful. I'll also note the suggestion of using ManageWiki on a custom variable to set $wgDefaultUserOptions['centralnotice-display-campaign-type-whatever'] = 0.
  • If campaign types do get properly configured and used, it would be helpful to take the suggestion of including some text in central notices that instructs people how to use the user preference and ManageWiki setting, to make it clear that the banner isn't forced to appear.

It would be good to at least have some course of action that outlines whether or not this wikifarm will make use of campaign types, and what those campaign types will be. K599 (talk) 03:51, 26 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I still want some sort of concrete conclusion on this, as I do think this would be helpful to people. K599 (talk) 23:03, 4 February 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I'd still like a resolution on this. It would be a useful feature for allowing individual control over what notices are shown to people. K599 (talk) 22:35, 4 March 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Asking for discussion again. This feature, as it's been explained in the above points, would help improve communication, so please have some consideration. K599 (talk) 22:02, 18 March 2022 (UTC)[reply]
As stated before, would like a discussion on appropriate options for the "Banners" user preference, as this would be a useful feature, if it were actually implemented. K599 (talk) 22:02, 1 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
As much as this would be interesting to realize, it seems clear there is neither traffic nor interest in the topic at any wider level. --Raidarr (talk) 13:17, 3 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Well, the list of campaign types that I suggested above was reviewed in this talk page discussion, but further action has not occurred. What would be needed here is to get to the next step to eventually get these ideas implemented, and that's why I've summarized the details about campaign types in the bullet points above, to discuss implementation of them. K599 (talk) 22:22, 15 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
It's a feature that would be useful for people if it were actually implemented, so I would like it to be considered. K599 (talk) 22:24, 29 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I still would be interested in some discussion for making this happen. K599 (talk) 22:22, 13 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Additional suggestion: Make a page detailing CentralNotice

I would still like a response to the above section on campaign types, and also have another suggestion to make.

If campaign types come into use, a page that details central notices, mainly the campaign types as stated before, would help people understand what these notices are for. Some other info, like what Wikimedia's pages cover, would likely also be a bit helpful. And to allow people to easily find such a page, it should at least be linked from user preferences and any ManageWiki settings related to central notices. K599 (talk) 01:16, 19 February 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Interwiki request

For dmlwiki.miraheze.org

Requested Prefix: anothereden

Requested Prefix Link: https://anothereden.miraheze.org/wiki/$1

Forward (Yes/No): No

Transclude (Yes/No): No

Thanks! CrystalClear (talk) 22:38, 11 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Noting that this was actioned many days ago by me by request on Discord. Agent Isai Talk to me! 02:47, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I need help importing a dump to a wiki

What is an "interwiki prefix"? FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 06:07, 12 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

A prefix as listed in Special:Interwiki Agent Isai Talk to me! 19:55, 12 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Agent Isai: So... what interwiki prefix would I need to enter when importing a dump file from Bad TV Channels Wiki to Worst TV Networks Wiki? FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 03:56, 13 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
mh:worsttvnetworks and such could work. If not, you can ask an Interwiki administrator to add a prefix into the table for you. Agent Isai Talk to me! 02:44, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Agent Isai: Now I'm getting this message: "Import failed: Expected <mediawiki> tag, got". FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 03:41, 23 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Agent Isai: FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 01:27, 8 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Does the file start in <mediawiki>? Agent Isai Talk to me! 01:24, 9 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Agent Isai: No, it doesn't. Would there be a specific reason why? FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 21:00, 9 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Also, how do I lock editing on a wiki?

FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 00:27, 16 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

You can revoke the edit right from the * and user group and perhaps reassign it to only administrators or autopatrolled/autoconfirmed users, etc. Agent Isai Talk to me! 02:44, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Betaheze

Hello! I saw that I have a betaheze account. When I first logged in I was able to log in, but when I logged in a second time it told me the password was wrong, even though I logged in with the same password the first time. Thanks! AlPaD (talk) 19:11, 12 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Now writes "No active login attempt is in progress for your session.". AlPaD (talk) 19:15, 12 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@AlPaD: I was checking your account's Betaheze CentralAuth and it claims you registered on Betaheze Beta but I see that CentralAuth claims you attached to the wiki rather than created your account which is strange. This will need further inspection but as there's not much need for Betaheze usage outside of SRE, I don't think this should be a huge inconvenience to you. Agent Isai Talk to me! 19:55, 12 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Agent Isai: Hello! The account was created automatically and I don't need it. I just wanted to know why it wouldn't let me connect. Thank you! AlPaD (talk) 20:05, 12 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Nevertheless, based on my conversations with Agent Isai and Universal Omega related to similar issues I'm having, they're leaning towards clearing out the Betaheze user table and just using the same CentralAuth table as Miraheze, as it's clearly not working. Dmehus (talk) 07:07, 28 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Where can I find sitemap?

I want to submit sitemap for this wiki on search-engines. But I can't find the sitemap file. Where I will find the sitemap? And how? খাত্তাব হাসান (talk) 04:09, 16 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Agent Isai: Can you help me with this? খাত্তাব হাসান (talk) 15:19, 18 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
You can find the sitemap going to /sitemap.xml on your wiki (for example, for Meta, the sitemap is at https://meta.miraheze.org/sitemap.xml so for your wiki, it'd be at https://sharqedia.ml/sitemap.xml). Agent Isai Talk to me! 02:42, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Agent Isai: Thank you so much! খাত্তাব হাসান (talk) 10:46, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Unwanted spacing added and wrong placement within my template

Hello, In this template: Test_Template_11 I am calling a couple other templates. When Test_Template_11 is rendered, there are all these additional spaces there that shouldn't be (why are the tables so tall, with the Language table three times the height of the others?)

Also, on this page that is created using that template Test_Page_2, the values selected in the form appear below the tables (instead of within the tables where they should be), and there is additional spacing below the tables and between the values as well.

How can I get rid of these extra spaces and make the values appear in the tables instead of below them? I didn't have these troubles when I tested on this page different_test_page

Thanks! ParentRatings (talk) 20:40, 16 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@ParentRatings:

When Test_Template_11 is rendered, there are all these additional spaces there that shouldn't be (why are the tables so tall, with the Language table three times the height of the others?) 

Placing #switch on the next line tells the template to ask the switch likewise. I have adjusted Template:Test Template 11 to hide.

the values selected in the form appear below the tables (instead of within the tables where they should be)

Has the template closed as marked below and the other templates floated down the page?

{{Test Template 11
|Genre(s)=Fantasy
}} <!- HERE ? -->
{{Language Tags
|Bad_Words_Checkbox=No
|Cruel_Language_Checkbox=No
|Sexual_Language_Checkbox=No
|Discussion_of_Mature_Content_Checkbox=Yes
|Discussion_of_Abuse=Brief
|Discussion_of_Criminal_Activity=Occasional
|Language_Notes=These words should appear in a language notes section.
}}
{{Sexual Content Tags
|Mild_Sexual_Content_Checkbox=Yes
|Sexless_Nudity=Brief
|Sexual_Tension=Brief
|Sexual_Content_Checkbox=No
|Sexual_Violence_Checkbox=No
|Sexual_Content_Notes=Notes notes
}}
{{Substance Use Tags
|Substance_Use_Checkbox=Yes
|Alcohol_Use=Brief
|Substance_Related_Content_Checkbox=No
|Substance_Use_Notes=substance notes
}}

PercyUK (talk) 21:25, 16 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Thanks for your help!
As per the first problem - thanks for showing me how to edit out those spaces!
The second problem of the values being pushed down the page is perhaps because of the way I created the form for editing this page. You can see that form here. I have created the form to call from different templates so that I can format the "edit with form" page in a way that I really like (which you can see here). I need to call test template 11 first in order to use that template for my new page, but I like having different sections marked with borders during the "edit with form" process.
Is there a way to preserve my formatting on my "edit with form" page while keeping the final page from pushing the content further down the page? ParentRatings (talk) 05:53, 17 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@PercyUK Nevermind! I figured out how to format my form using html divs instead of separate template calls, so this should fix the issue by letting me just use one template call in my form. Thanks so much for your help! :) ParentRatings (talk) 20:36, 17 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Setting up sister wiki project links (RESOLVED)

I previously posted a question/request but it seems to have disappeared. I have been scrapping some content from Wikipedia for my wiki, and sometimes I run across wikilinks that use the abbreviated sister project format for the link such as: [[s:word|word]], and I am wondering how I can go about setting it up so that it properly formats and links to the external sister project wiki?

For instance, some of the citation templates I have copied over from Wikipedia link to the Encyclopedia Birtianica public domain sister wiki site. I am hoping to make it so the [[s:word|word]] sister site link works as it does on Wikipedia. Any help of guidance would be greatly appreciated. — Mitchell Gore (talk) 18:42, 17 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Mitchell Gore, thank you for your question. This requires requesting a wiki for each sister project wiki. Each wiki must have a clear purpose, scope, and content topic(s) it will write about and be compliant with Content Policy. Once that's done, you can reach out to a global interwiki administrator or a steward to add interwiki prefixes (or interlanguage prefixes) to your wikis' local interwiki tables. Local prefixes can be same as the global interwiki table, but they will override the global configuration. If one of your wikis will be using a central data repository wiki or image repository wiki, there are some other configuration changes that will be required. With regard to the latter, though, we do have Miraheze Commons that is quite useful for this purpose, and we're pretty flexible on copyrighted content used under fair dealing/fair use provisions, so long as it is properly attributed, sourced, the licensing is correct and available, and, indeed, constitutes fair dealing/fair use. Finally, if you will be wanting to transwiki import pages to/from the sister project wikis, you will need to perform a pull request in LocalSettings.php. In terms of interwiki prefixes, though, you may qualify to be a local interwiki administrator. If you are the only active contributor to the wiki (i.e., no other contributors in the past 12 months or so), by Steward convention, we can dispense with the formalities of a local election. Otherwise, you just need to hold a local election, ideally with a local sitenotice, then attend stewards' noticeboard after about seven (7) calendar days to link to your election request. Hope this helps. Dmehus (talk) 18:52, 17 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks for the reply, but I am not looking at setting up sister wikis themselves. I am simply looking to have the sister inter wiki links work so that (for example) when I copy a passage with a citation from a Wikipedia page that has their [[s:word|word]] interwiki link, it redirects to their sister wiki (i.e. the actual page link like a proper inter wiki links does). – 21:25, 17 April 2022 (UTC) Mitchell Gore (talk) 21:25, 17 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Mitchell Gore, oh okay, that's just adding a prefix to the sister wiki, but I'd need your sister wiki addresses in the format of https://<FULLURL>/wiki/$1 where $1 is the page variable defined in your example. I would also need the prefix to use, as defined by s, in your example, and whether you want to be able scarily transclude pages from the sister wiki on your wiki, or whether you want bots to be able to follow links or return a bad title error. Dmehus (talk) 21:35, 17 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
If you're just looking to cite English Wikipedia, the interlanguage prefixes are coded by default to automatically be enabled for the global interwiki prefixes. In that case, you just code them like this: [[w:simple:Help:Archiving a talk page|Help:Archiving a talk page]], where w is the prefix from the global or local interwiki table on Miraheze, and simple is the ISO language code. So, it's essentially [[prefix:interlanguage-code:page|optional displayed text for the interwiki wikilink]] Dmehus (talk) 21:37, 17 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks. I am already using the [[w:word]] for using an external Wikipedia interlink on my wiki.
As to the target sister wiki, the URL is:
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/
But I am not sure how to complete the rest of what you say is needed. This is all coming from the Template:Cite EB1911 I copied over and am using, which is a wrapper of the Template:Cite encyclopedia which I also copied over to my wiki. Mitchell Gore (talk) 22:10, 17 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Mitchell Gore, ah, interlanguage prefixes only work on the same top-level domain, or subdomain, of the given interwiki prefix with which you're working. In this case, the prefix you want is source. If using a non-English Wikisource, you'd combine that with source. The templates you cite are from English Wikipedia, though, so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do. Which templates on English Wikisource are you trying to link to? Dmehus (talk) 22:17, 17 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I think I solved it. According to this: Help:Interwiki linking on Wikipedia, the [[s:]] shortcut should invoke the [[wikisource:]] Interwiki linking but doesn't.
So going back into the Template:Cite wikisource/make link and using [[wikisource:]] instead of [[s:]] solves it, and makes the citation template work properly now.
FYI, [[source:]] does not work, but must be [[wikisource:]] to work. Mitchell Gore (talk) 22:44, 17 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

SimpleTooltip causing formatting errors

Hello, Whenever I use tip-text option within a bulleted list, the next bullet is indented. If I used tip-info (with the (i) icon) or do not use simpletooltip the next bulleted item is fine. You can try for yourself on this test page/form I have created by selected option 1 (brief) from the first dropdown and seeing the added indent, which is removed when the first dropdown is anything other than Brief.

Is there a way to remove this improper indent coming from SimpleTooltip?

Thanks! ParentRatings (talk) 20:46, 17 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

D4nny

What is going wrong here? FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 02:21, 18 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

The same is happening here. FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 02:38, 18 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@FatBurn0000: Dear, use <ref name="abc"> insted of <ref name=abc>. I hope, It will help. খাত্তাব হাসান (talk) 19:08, 18 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Captcha problem

I have a problem now. My worldbox wiki is mainly edited by world box players in mainland China. They usually don't have enough wiki experience. But in order to enrich the content of the wiki, I invited a large number of users from those players' QQ groups to contribute. However, many users have encountered problems when registering, and they will display "this value is required" when registering (however, there is no information about the verification code in the screenshot they sent, and of course some did not encounter the verification code problem), I Hopefully, the image tap verification can be removed, and a Wikipedia-like letter verification code or a simple addition and subtraction verification code can be used.This can help Chinese users Isutan (talk) 04:45, 18 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Isutan: Users can e-mail cvt@miraheze.org in order to request that an account be created for them if they are unable to do so themselves. — Chrs (talk) 13:18, 18 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Oh, is it possible to customize the verification code on the wiki (requires a text answer)? Isutan (talk) 02:19, 19 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Email doesn't solve anything. A lot of people ignore email. Isutan (talk) 02:21, 19 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I am one of the victim of the problem, I hope the captcha can be changed to something else ---120.231.135.206 13:03, 18 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

How to add google-site-verification code to my wiki?

How to add google-site-verification code to my wiki?

The <seo metakeywords="first, second" google-site-verification="G-xxxxxxxxx" />

doesn't work, result is:

Error: <seo> tag must contain at least one non-empty attribute. Lalo5555 (talk) 18:46, 18 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Lalo5555: Please go to Special:ManageWiki/settings#mw-section-seo and locate the $wgGoogleSiteVerificationKey, in the box insert only the G-xxxxxxxxx without the tag or quotes before and after it. Just the G-xxxxxxxxx. --  Joseph  TB  CT  CA  22:05, 18 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks! Lalo5555 (talk) 22:48, 18 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

How long until category pages update?

My wiki was recently moved over onto Mirahze, as in everything finished moving two days ago, but so far none of the category pages have updated. I've tried using the "purge page" method and clearing my browser's cache as well, but nothing happened. Special Pages such as "Unused files" and "Uncategorized pages" are also not updating. Some pages and files have been added if I've edited them, but I can't go through an null edit thousands of pages just so they appear in their categories.

How long does it take for these pages to update and to list the pages/files that they should? Clarasiir 10:29, 19 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

After imports, MediaWiki tends to not refresh any categories until 3-4 weeks after the import concludes. This is solvable by running refreshLinks.php via the shell in order to fix all categories. Agent Isai Talk to me! 02:40, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I don't understand what to do with that information. Is running a php maintenance script something I can even do? It seems like I would need access to things I don't have access to.
I tried using Windows PowerShell with "$ ssh -p 22 root@examplewiki.com" but all I get are errors saying terms are not recognized. Clarasiir 03:25, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Indeed it is not something you have access to. I was noting that the solution would be for someone with shell access to run the script. Please file a Phabrictor task requesting it be run on your wiki. Agent Isai Talk to me! 03:32, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Oh, I see. I thought you meant that it was my job to do that. I will file a Phabricator request. Clarasiir 03:40, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Unable to read Chinese uncyclopedia on miraheze, what happened?

I’ve tried to read pages expect main page, it said “permission error” message to me, also other miraheze-based uncyclopedia projects are inaccessible, tell me what happened? (Hmm likely those wiki become private bc only members and admins, even only admins to access those wikis. Yage Wu (talk) 08:31, 21 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

It seems like only users in the "Member" group, or administrators can access the wiki. I don't read Chinese, but is there a way to gain member access? IAmChaos (talk) 14:25, 21 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Conjuring file types

So about Mediawiki#Conjuring file uploads, how/where do you access the exact location of Manual:LocalSettings.php? SecretSpyer (talk) 00:22, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

On Miraheze, most things are done via ManageWiki and not through LocalSettings.php. To enable a file extension, go to Special:ManageWiki/settings -> Media. Agent Isai Talk to me! 02:35, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

日本語で失礼

Mirahezeで構築したWikiで管理者がインターウィキを編集できるようにするにはどうすればいいのでしょうか。 --ナムコォッ! (talk) 06:37, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

User:ナムコォッ!さん:mirahezeではインターウィキ管理者にしかinterwikiを編集することは出来ません。interWiki管理者権限はスチュワードのみが付与可能です。に立候補するには、グローバル編集回数が1000回以上、もしくはこのWikiでの編集回数が500回以上である必要があります。--1108-Kiju/talk 02:32, 23 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

To all users of Extension:Preloader...

Please note that there is an upstream bug (reported on GitLab back in April 2021) wherein <noinclude> and <includeonly> either do not transform at all or, in this contributor's case, remain fully intact in the raw code. A merge/fix was also proposed back then, but has not been acted upon for lack of maintainers. Original co-developer Robchurch all but disappeared from Wikimedia ages ago; later maintainer troyengel's involvement with the extension has been nil for several years; and Wikimedia Phabricator retired bug tracking in early October 2018. (Reported/observed at mw:Topic:Wtumv01tz8qmndq8 [Support desk thread] and w:Special:PermanentLink/1083469433#Transcluding_<noinclude> [Village pump (technical)].)

Special:Version (at least on my wiki) shows @Universal Omega: as the current maintainer of a locally maintained variant last updated on April 2. Perhaps he may see about the patch linked to above and find out what happens next?

P.S. To @Agent Isai:/@Reception123:/@RhinosF1:/@John: Know anyone else on GitLab, or anyone else who tends to extensions on this service? --Routhwick (talk) 15:01, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

We don't use the gitlab version. We use the fork at https://github.com/Universal-Omega/Preloader ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (     online) 15:36, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I've gone ahead and created a request for Universal Omega to backport it at https://github.com/Universal-Omega/Preloader/pull/4 - anyone can do this though :) ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (     online) 15:41, 22 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
After Preloader's upgrade finally went live on Miraheze last weekend, I gave the next template/doc page in my site's queue, {{Find}}, a go--and all in this system is working as well as it should now. Many thanks! --Routhwick (talk) 19:49, 2 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

How do I disable anonymous editing on a wiki?

FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 02:11, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

FatBurn0000, thank you for your question. There are several ways to prohibit IP users from editing. One way is to set $wgEmailConfirmToEdit to true in Special:ManageWiki/settings. Another way is to enable the EditSubpages extension in Special:ManageWiki/extensions. Yet another way is to remove the edit user right from the * group on your wiki (via Special:ManageWiki/namespaces). Finally, another way is via an abuse filter on your wiki. There are other methods as well. In any case, your wiki should, ideally, have a community discussion prior to effecting this. Dmehus (talk) 02:17, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Dmehus explained it above, but I will comment on it in detail.
Please proceed as follows: Manage this wiki's permissions→Select existing group to edit→(everyone)→Submit→Uncheck "edit"→Save --1108-Kiju/talk 02:25, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: and @1108-Kiju: Now that I think about it, I should probably just talk to you about the situation. I'm trying to remove the ability to edit on Bad TV Channels Wiki for everyone except bureaucrats and administrators. How do I do this? FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 02:28, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
FatBurn0000 What's the reason behind this? I would note you encountered a similar issue on the since deleted crappygachatuberswikiwiki, so such a change should have overwhelming consensus by all contributing users to the wiki, not merely by bureaucrats as otherwise you would be creating an insular, autocratic culture that protects bureaucrats. Dmehus (talk) 02:35, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Does this mean revoking all editing privileges except bureaucrats and administrators? To avoid confusion in the community, it is recommended that you set up the agreement ahead of time. 1108-Kiju/talk 02:43, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: and @1108-Kiju: It's because I'm merging Bad TV Channels Wiki into Worst TV Networks Wiki. FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 03:00, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
FatBurn0000, ah, that sounds fine then. Have you held a discussion at worsttvnetworks and added a local sitenotice to the wiki that links to the discussion, so contributors can participate? Dmehus (talk) 04:03, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: I didn't know I had to start a discussion. FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 04:58, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: Hello? FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 01:27, 8 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Request for Feedback: Changing the way we categorize wikis

Hi everyone!

SRE is soliciting the opinions of community members regarding a potential change to the way we categorize wikis. Currently, wikis are categorized under one category, as seen on Special:ManageWiki. Issues arise from time to time when wikis span across multiple fields which causes the wiki requesters to feel limited and select a category which perhaps describes their wiki only partially.

One idea thrown out there was to change the way we categorize wikis by swapping out categories for tags. This way, users can select all the tags they believe fit their wiki. This would allow for fine grain categorization and searching of wikis via Special:WikiDiscover and would contribute towards helping WikiDiscover replace the Gazetteer of Wikis. These tags would be much more specific than the general one-size-fits-all approach we take with categories.

What are your thoughts on this proposed change? If you support it, tell us what types of tags you would like to see (i.e. "Lifestyle, Fitness, Computers, Technology, Phones, Movies," etc.). If you don't support this, tell us why and what you propose instead. Thank you for your participation! Agent Isai Talk to me! 03:48, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

The concern I have with this isn't so much the proposed tags, but rather the plan to replace the wiki's category with the a tagging system. The reason for this is because the wiki's category is an important assessment point for Stewards and wiki creators in reviewing wiki requests against our Content Policy. For example, a wiki's purpose may not be specified, and the description could be a bit vague, but if there's a clear categorization together with one of the two, then then it may help with the approval decision. Another issue to moving towards a tag-based system is the loss of a controlled vocabulary system, in order to categorize like wikis with like wikis. Without a controlled vocabulary categorization or tagging system, this would be lost. In any case, any replacement of the existing category system must have an RfC closed by a Steward. An additional tagging system may not need an RfC, as it would be an additional feature, but again, to prevent creation of duplicate tags and ensure similar wikis are tagged similarly, any tags to be created should be controlled, requiring a GitHub pull request to be done to add them. Dmehus (talk) 04:00, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
The concern I have with this isn't so much the proposed tags, but rather the plan to replace the wiki's category with a tagging system.
I recall when the exact same thing happened with DeviantArt submissions during their much-loathed Eclipse makeover a few years aback... (Suffice to say I've been all but absent from that platform since 2018 or so for unrelated reasons.) --Routhwick (talk) 07:04, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Wiki creators would still have the ability to see the selected tags and change them accordingly. Blanket categories would be converted to tags or potentially a tag would cause a "master" tag to also be applied (e.g. selecting "Computers" would also select the "Technology" tag) potentially but do note this is just an idea that we are soliciting feedback for. Additionally, as you may have noticed, I asked "what types of tags you would like to see" implying that tags would still be set via a GitHub PR. Thank you for your feedback though, this idea of maintaining both would be interesting to see. Agent Isai Talk to me! 19:20, 24 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Apart from the mechanics chosen to carry this out, the gist of this proposal is simply to enable wikis to have more than one classification. That's a good idea if we want classifications to be as useful as possible. For example, I believe I classified the former "The Mirror" wiki as "comedy", but this classification was incomplete, as it was comedy strictly about news and current events. But using the latter as its classification misses something even more signifcant, as it was certainly not a place you'd go to learn the news. Spıke (talk) 23:04 24-Apr-2022
I like very much the idea of tags. I think we can include tags as an additional way to categorise wikis. Is a great idea.

My wiki tuscriaturas, also called The Bestiary of the golden Hippogriph is a project that spans several areas and i always feel the category restrict it. On the other side, i don't use the categories on my own wiki. I only spent a minute with that. I use categories more on wikidiscover to find wikis about fantasy and worldbuilding. My wiki encompasses mythology, philosophy, essay, literature, fantasy, roleplaying books, text about videogames, original fiction, fantasy about universes and other dimensions, etc. In other platforms there are tag based search to search for this topics. For example Disboard is a web to find discord servers by topic and their system of tags is very useful. --Avengium (talk) 20:44, 7 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I agree with Avengium, I like the idea of tags. In my opinion, tags would be very helpful on Miraheze for users to find other wikis that cater to those interests. This would also potentially increase the visibility of wikis when they can be found in more than one tag, as opposed to basically know ahead of time what category to look in, to find something (a bit of omniscience required perhaps with the current category structure). Tags would have made finding most of the great wikis I've stumbled across randomly over time, much, much faster. Increasing the ability to find and search would be very helpful, as well as promoting the different tags somewhere much more forward-facing--I'd recommend considering this also, as it's still somewhat of a mystery to many what types of sites/interests are hosted on Miraheze, and what they're about. I'd almost be tempted to ask MH to implement an editable summary dialog for public sites, so a blurb about what the site contains can be displayed in the wiki browser (perhaps this can be imlimented automatically into some other page or wikibrowser can be given some added functions and a facelift? Sorry, that's a wishlist item perhaps). | -- FrozenPlum (Talk / Email) 02:56, 10 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
TBH I already missed the possibility to find corresponding wikis by some easy method, so I'm highly welcoming the tags. I mostly stumbled upon wikis that I like, I didn't find them. Tags would be a great way to group them in more granular ways. As for the which tags question - I think that whatever list anyone will come up with, there is someone wanting a tag that totally makes sense and isn't in that list. So some way of adding tags would be necessary. But I fully agree with Dmehus' concerns on this. Soukupmi (talk) () 11:59, 10 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

April 2022 Directors Meeting

Hello all, please see the latest agenda for the April 2022 Board of Director's meeting for Miraheze Limited. Any additional points people would like to raise, please let me know. Thank you, Owen (talk) 19:02, 26 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Please allow pages on real-life people again on the negative reception wikis

Hi there. I was wondering if there was anyway of convincing the owners of Miraheze on changing their minds on allow pages on real-life people on the negative reception wikis? I understand the concern on posting qualities that are merely rumors, but information that is backed up with sources should be fine imo. If there could be pages on studios/companies and networks, then I don't see why there would be a problem with individuals because there are many examples with sources on how certain people lead to a downfall of a particular show, game, movie, etc. I feel like people should have the right to know about people who affected a property negatively because they would find it interesting. Sure, there are people that are toxic and could send death threats to these people, but that's why I think that a disclaimer should be added to these pages so users don't get any ideas on attacking others. I want to be in a safe community as much as the next guy, but I see this as a form of censorship. This policy is no better than YouTube removing the dislike counter on their videos. Please think it over and change the policy. Sofaking we todd it (talk) 03:28, 27 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Please note that Miraheze has no "owners" in a traditional sense of "overall control over everything." All policies are approved by the community as in the case of the Content Policy which was ratified by a Request for Comments. There is no blanket ban on these types of wikis but it is up to each wiki creator to determine if a certain wiki request will violate the Content Policy. If you have any complaints about this policy, please get consensus from the community to change these policies as there is nothing a one single person can do to change this. Thanks. Agent Isai Talk to me! 03:39, 27 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Sofaking we todd it: Unfortunately, we aren't allowing any pages negatively on people or celebrities, and there is nothing that will convince us to change our minds. DarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 10:25, 27 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

something weird is happening

In a wiki i'm a mod in, the LGBTA wiki, I have learned of a weird error that occurs in some cases of opening the page where it redirects me to somewhere known as lgbtqia.wiki.

It seems to do this when i open a page via search, use the random page button, or after doing a edit(replying to something in a talk page does not count for some reason).

Any way to fix this? The Triple Trouble Collective (talk) 03:38, 27 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

This was a change requested by your wiki's bureaucrat, Jeb, a while ago on Discord. The wiki is the same, it's just using a custom domain versus the normal .miraheze.org domain we provide. Agent Isai Talk to me! 03:40, 27 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Oh.
In my defense, I didn't know that. The Triple Trouble Collective (talk) 05:31, 27 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
The Triple Trouble Collective, oh, that's Yes check.svg no problem at all. It's a good question, and likely other users will have the same, or a similar, question as you. :) Dmehus (talk) 05:34, 27 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Customized gallery in a precise way?

Hello, I would like to know how to organize a kind of "gallery" of characters a bit like here: https://jojowiki.com/Phantom_Blood#Characters Thanks in advance. Darkrai18 (talk) 16:36, 27 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Darkrai18: The source code is too complex on jojowiki to copy. So had a look around Fandom and found a basic charbox that could be modified - remove/move border, background colour, etc. I have created an example on the Test Wiki PercyUK (talk) 21:31, 27 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@PercyUK: Thanks a lot, I'll check it out tomorrow. Darkrai18 (talk) 21:42, 27 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Does Miraheze have any policy regarding apparent impersonation of a famous person?

In reference to this User talk post on All The Tropes, does Miraheze have any policy regarding apparent impersonation of a famous person?

(All The Tropes's policy is informal and implied at the moment: "Don't." We're in the process of writing it out explicitly.) Robkelk (talk) 12:48, 29 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Robkelk: As it stands, the Username Policy itself only prohibits "Usernames that are deliberately similar to other usernames in the possible scope of impersonation", so impersonating a real-life person that doesn't have a 'username' wouldn't seem to fall under the current global policy. However, I'd say that in a case of real life impersonation where the user is actually claiming to be that famous person a notice or warning could probably be issued to invite them to change their username as to not cause confusion, but it's probably best for a Steward to do that since it's a bit unusual. Reception123 (talk) (C) 12:51, 30 April 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Robkelk: My input from Steward PoV is that Reception is correct, and it's something that should only be pushed when an actual claim of association is made especially if the username is not very formal and muddied with extra words as is the case here. You could even treat the reported name as a sentence, rather than a 'claim' to the name. Minimal intervention is preferred where faith can be given. --Raidarr (talk) 11:39, 3 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Understood, and thank you both. --Robkelk (talk) 12:30, 3 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Anyone helps me?

I'm a user from China. Everytime when I attempt to create an account, it always goes "There are some problems in your imput" and "This value is required". I just... Don't know what "problems" I do have or what "this value" mean! 223.73.115.1 08:22, 2 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Please email cvt(at)miraheze.org with your desired username, and we can get you set up in that way. --Raidarr (talk) 08:40, 2 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

How to do span classes like how enwiki does class sysop-show?

So basically I copied the section of text from wikipedia:MediaWiki:Group-sysop.css and than changed the word sysop to (example) but when doing <span class="(example)-show"> on a page, it just showed up for both me and for my alt, who I did not put in the user group. I imagine that I am missing some step that should be obvious to me, but can't quite figure it out. Any help? tia --IAC (talk) 08:35, 2 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Edit: Yes I did add </span> , didnt leave it open and incase it matters I didnt have parenthesis in the actual word, was just using a placeholder here. --IAC (talk) 08:36, 2 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Update: I would even just accept any way to show content to only a group that has opted in. I don't care if it's the same way that enwiki does, I just thought that would be easy since someones already done the work there. --IAC (talk) 08:48, 2 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I could try helping you with this if you want? Pretty sure I might have fiddled with this before myself. Hypercane (talk) 19:37, 2 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Actually, from what I've tested, it may be because you did not put something like this in your MediaWiki:Common.css. My example is at the bottom of it for clarity. Hypercane (talk) 19:51, 2 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Hypercane Thank you so much! Of course it's not gonna hide if it's not set to be hidden. Thanks! --IAC (talk) 11:17, 3 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
You're welcome, glad to have helped! Hypercane (talk) 11:36, 3 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Interest in Meta codification

I have observed some discussions and arguments here on Meta and would like to ask here whether there is any interest/support for a locally applicable Meta RFC to codify a number of these rules which appear to not be agreed upon by all (i.e. not editing other users' posts, users removing warnings from their talkpage, etc. etc.) Please respond to this thread if you would want this and I would create a draft RFC which all users can contribute to by adding their ideas of uncodified conventions that they think should become policy on Meta in order for them to be more clearly applicable. DeeM28 (talk) 09:04, 3 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I'm in favor of stronger codification, especially where we take liberties explicitly accepting or rejecting certain Wikipedia processes. Convention only works as far as it is commonly accepted and unproblematic (in terms of community operation), and if it brings confusion or uncertainty then it needs to be codified even just broadly. I will say, the most determined challenger(s) I've noted from your examples tend to make themselves outliers in general, that is, generally steering towards controversy while making minimal efforts to clearly settle matters in an amicable way and also very aggressively challenge what others had been fine with when it became an inconvenience to them. But I've felt at least some hardening on meta process was needed for some time anyway. I know Doug has been working on a project (in doug time, of course :p) to bring some of these little tweaks for accuracy, clarity and good process, but I'm sure anyone's suggestions/compilation would be welcome/humored in the meantime. Especially the draft you suggest draft to be hammered out. In this case I do think more advanced discussion on this would be best suited on the Meta:Community portal, perhaps with key updates noted here for maximum reach. --Raidarr (talk) 11:34, 3 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Raidarr: @other interested parties: I have opened a draft proposal for this and also notified on the Community portal as advised here. --DeeM28 (talk) 17:31, 4 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

About Discord

I can't get into Miraheze's Discord server from the URL in Discord. Maybe the URL has expired? --ナムコォッ! (talk) 10:38, 3 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Tested, the invite is in order. I'm not sure what the issue is I'm afraid, aside from connections to Discord perhaps being blocked locally. We may be able to troubleshoot depending on the error/issue you have. --Raidarr (talk) 11:25, 3 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Miraheze.org/discord should point to a working invite. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (     online) 12:37, 3 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Changing my theme color on Cosmos skin

How am I supposed to change the theme color of the Cosmos skin? Like, if I want the header color to be standard blue, the toolbar upwards color to be light blue, the article background color to be cyan, and the community background to be a separate image, what would I put at MediaWiki:Cosmos.cssBECAUSE DATS ('CAUSE DATS) 'CAUSE DATS ('CAUSE DATS) HOW IT IS 19:11, 6 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Those settings can be changed at Special:ManageWiki/settings -> Styling on your wiki. Agent Isai Talk to me! 19:54, 6 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Custom Domain Not Working

Custom Domain not working. Nameservers pointed as in the instructions. Cloudflare configured as instructed. CName setup as directed. Yet when I type the domain name irishfreemaninfo.com, the wiki gets a too many redirects error. However if I type the cname www.irishfreemaninfo.com I get a miraheze advertising page. There is no wiki there.

Are there further steps Franrodgers (talk) 19:50, 6 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Did you follow step 4 in the Custom domains article? Agent Isai Talk to me! 19:53, 6 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I was a little confused by that step. I did not know if it was only for SSL or if it was for both. But I have done so now. Thank you. Consider this resolved and if you wish you can remove it with gratitude. Franrodgers (talk) 20:08, 6 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

dcmarvelcomics.miraheze.org

If anyone wants to adopt dcmarvelcomics.miraheze.org, you have my approval. Iron Sword 23 (talk) 13:34, 7 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Iron Sword 23: Hey, actually you can directly give the wiki to others if you don’t want to manage it anymore, simply just ask if others are interested in adoption in MediaWiki:Sitenotice on your local wiki. This way, your wiki will be still available for edit while others will know about this (the words you typed in the sitenotice will appear at the top of your site). I am afraid your wiki may be deleted according to the dormancy policy in the near future when you are not aware. Then you may lose a wiki given the fact that you are actually active.—Matttest (talk) 12:48, 12 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

A question

More of a question on policy than anything else, but should we have one on role accounts for wikis? It's not really clarified if it's OK or not. Sevenhamptonsp50 (talk) 16:11, 8 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Sevenhamptonsp50: We do have this page, and we might just add that into the mix there. --DarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 16:27, 8 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: Mind following up on this thread? DarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 22:45, 8 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I'm not sure what 'one one role accounts' refers to exactly. In general if the accounts are not being used deceptively and contribute to the function of the wiki (a bot, an officially named account authorized by the wiki's management, even a split user account with disclosure of the alt) then they are not a problem. --Raidarr (talk) 22:09, 12 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus, Sevenhamptonsp50, and DarkMatterMan4500: A global policy about multiple or shared user accounts is the User accounts policy. You may want to check out Category:Global policies for a list of global policies of miraheze. —12:43, 12 May 2022 (UTC)

Error generating thumbnails

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 8.42.14 PM.png

For the last couple of days now, when uploading a new .svg file to my wiki, it fails to render a thumbnail on the file upload pages, as well as generating an error when creating the various automatic default .png view sizes. The .svg files itself uploads fine, and seems to render properly when the .svg is used as a file/image on an actual article page as long as the pixel size is defined as being under 140px or smaller.

The error message is shown in the screenshot on the right when you clock on any of the auto generated file size links.

Here is a link to a recently uploaded .svg file being used on a page at 140px which renders fine: https://harnica.miraheze.org/wiki/CSS_test_page_1#Test_SVG_file

Here is the actual .svg file which renders fine natively: https://static.miraheze.org/harnicawiki/2/28/Achievement-clan-taareskeld-02.svg

And here is the .svg page where you can see the broken autogenerated thumbnail(s): https://harnica.miraheze.org/wiki/File:Achievement-clan-taareskeld-02.svg

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated. Mitchell Gore (talk) 03:58, 9 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Again, problem with infoboxes

It's not the first time I post about this, be it on the Steward's or here in the community noticeboard. To cite the other times I posted about it: "After importing some .xml files from other wikis, I somehow managed to break all my infoboxes, as shown on this link: [1]".

Being honest, it was a long time ago that I imported these .xml files, and I don't really remember any specific details. In any case, it was said to me that I would have to make the wiki public for troubleshooting. That wouldn't be an issue. I hope that, this time, I can get some closure on this issue.

Any help is appreciated. -- IvanCastroTheFool (talk) 12:39, 10 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

How do you allow <poem> coding to work on a wiki?

I am the founder of Lyric Meaning Translate Wiki, and judging by the way the first article on the wiki, Hitler Was a Sensitive Man turned out, it appears that the <poem> and </poem> coding that usually allows words to automatically appear like lyrics (as seen on this article on Best Music Wiki for example) is not working like usual. How do I fix this? FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 09:09, 11 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@FatBurn0000: All extensions that are avaliable for your wiki be in the Special:ManageWiki/extensions page on your local wiki. For the <poem> tag, it should be at the section Special:ManageWiki/extensions#mw-section-parserhooks (just copy the link to your local wiki), then check the box Poem for the extension. It should be working. --Matttest (talk) 09:21, 11 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
It's still not working. FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 21:08, 12 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@FatBurn0000: Hey, as far as what I can see it should be working now. I think this is just a sort of system giltch/your browser cached the page. If it is still not working from your browser, try doing a hard reload. --Matttest (talk) 03:32, 13 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Matttest: Okay, it appears to be working now. FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 08:34, 13 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

How do I activate intersein wikis extension: Other: Previews

In my https://intersein.miraheze.org/wiki/Hauptseite ,
How do I activate extension: Other: Previews:
The box is greyed and says:

Requires: Extensions - pageimages, textextracts
Displays preview popups when the user hovers over a link"


Please let me know how to get displayed preview popups when the user hovers over a link.

And please let me know if this is the right place to put sucvh a question. Thanks for your help
Harriz (talk) 00:10, 13 May 2022 (UTC) Harriz (talk) 00:10, 13 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

The "Requires" section is letting you know that you must first enable the PageImages and TextExtracts extensions in order to use Previews. You can enable these two extensions under Special:ManageWiki/extensions on your wiki. dross (tcg) 01:34, 13 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thank you Dross, this worked fine, I have now enabled Pageimages and TextExtracts and Previews extrensions.
What else do I do in order to see preview popups of internal links? Harriz (talk) 22:16, 13 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Preview does not detect italics

Hello, I would like to know why the preview when you click on a link does not detect the italic. You can do the test here : https://fiction.miraheze.org/wiki/Mario_(Super_Mario)
Bold is working, but italic is not.
Thanks in advance. Darkrai18 (talk) 18:51, 13 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

help regarding emails and smtp from miraheze servers

Are the emails configured in miraheze or manual work necessary? also if its configured is it phpmail{}? Many users were joining but on send email confirmation emails they don't receive it, I read in mediawiki docs that to configure smtp i need file access which too I don't have. So could any staff member help me regarding the issue. Also I want to use my own domain please suggest a way Amrit (talk) 08:15, 14 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Emails are already configured by default. Please ask your users to check their spam folder and to be on the lookout from emails from noreply(at)miraheze.org. As for custom domains, please checkout Custom domains though note that you cannot change the email from where MediaWiki sends notices. Agent Isai Talk to me! 08:26, 14 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Infobox problem

Hello, I have a problem with my infoboxes. I changed the color of the header to white. But the text inside must be black. The header changes color according to the color I put. I would like that when the header is not white, the text inside becomes white automatically. At the moment, the text remains black. And I obviously can't put a white text as I do now, because my header is white. The link of one of my infobox : https://fiction.miraheze.org/wiki/Mod%C3%A8le:Personnage Thanks in advance. Darkrai18 (talk) 10:30, 14 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

The infobox has been set with one edit required
background automatically white, change text to black
{{Personnage
|text=#000000
change background to non-white, text automatically white
{{Personnage
|color=#000000
PercyUK (talk) 11:26, 14 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]