Community noticeboard: Difference between revisions

From Meta
Tags: Reply Source
(33 intermediate revisions by 14 users not shown)
Line 192: Line 192:
 
:What is your wiki's subdomain? Looking [https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Special:RequestWikiQueue?dbname=Panthervz99&requester=&status=* here], I see no approved wikis for you. Did you request your wiki with another user account? Thanks. [[User:Dmehus|Dmehus]] ([[User talk:Dmehus|talk]]) 14:08, 1 August 2022 (UTC)
 
:What is your wiki's subdomain? Looking [https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Special:RequestWikiQueue?dbname=Panthervz99&requester=&status=* here], I see no approved wikis for you. Did you request your wiki with another user account? Thanks. [[User:Dmehus|Dmehus]] ([[User talk:Dmehus|talk]]) 14:08, 1 August 2022 (UTC)
 
::My wiki's name is "World Song Contest", I don't remember if i started this wiki in this account or the other I have [[User:Panthervz99|Panthervz99]] ([[User talk:Panthervz99|talk]]) 23:27, 4 August 2022 (UTC)
 
::My wiki's name is "World Song Contest", I don't remember if i started this wiki in this account or the other I have [[User:Panthervz99|Panthervz99]] ([[User talk:Panthervz99|talk]]) 23:27, 4 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
:::{{ping|Panthervz99}} Maybe it was deleted for being dormant. Did you save the wiki domain? — [[User:Pixial|<span style="color:black;">'''Pixial'''</span>]] <sup>[[User talk:Pixial|<span style="color: #0caab3;">[Talk]</span>]]</sup> 02:07, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
   
 
== Lua error ==
 
== Lua error ==
Line 229: Line 230:
 
:::::I meant on the wiki. [[User:ZeusDeeGoose|ZeusDeeGoose]] ([[User talk:ZeusDeeGoose|talk]]) 16:59, 6 August 2022 (UTC)
 
:::::I meant on the wiki. [[User:ZeusDeeGoose|ZeusDeeGoose]] ([[User talk:ZeusDeeGoose|talk]]) 16:59, 6 August 2022 (UTC)
 
::::::{{ping|ZeusDeeGoose}} Well yes, on the wiki. [[User:Darkrai18|Darkrai18]] ([[User talk:Darkrai18|talk]]) 17:35, 6 August 2022 (UTC)
 
::::::{{ping|ZeusDeeGoose}} Well yes, on the wiki. [[User:Darkrai18|Darkrai18]] ([[User talk:Darkrai18|talk]]) 17:35, 6 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
:::::I didn't see anything incorrect on the wiki, I believe it has been resolved. — [[User:Pixial|<span style="color:black;">'''Pixial'''</span>]] <sup>[[User talk:Pixial|<span style="color: #0caab3;">[Talk]</span>]]</sup> 02:06, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
   
 
== Drawn Feet Wiki: possible block evasion ==
 
== Drawn Feet Wiki: possible block evasion ==
Line 238: Line 240:
   
 
== Unable to edit permissions/settings/extensions ==
 
== Unable to edit permissions/settings/extensions ==
 
 
On the extensions, core settings, and permission pages I am unable to edit any of them even though I'm the owner.
 
On the extensions, core settings, and permission pages I am unable to edit any of them even though I'm the owner.
   
Line 268: Line 269:
 
Thanks!&nbsp;[[User:ParentRatings|ParentRatings]] ([[User talk:ParentRatings|talk]]) 01:28, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
 
Thanks!&nbsp;[[User:ParentRatings|ParentRatings]] ([[User talk:ParentRatings|talk]]) 01:28, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
   
  +
:I've tested on other browsers and other devices, and it sometimes works. I assume this has to do with how they implement JavaScript. The one place I cannot get it to work on is my android device using Chrome. I double checked and JavaScript is enabled. Is mobileview always this finnicky? Is there a way to make this better? I assume that an android device using Chrome is going to be a very common combination and want to be able to get my site working for those users. Thanks for any assistance. [[User:ParentRatings|ParentRatings]] ([[User talk:ParentRatings|talk]]) 23:10, 10 August 2022 (UTC)
== XP4Ever WIKI gone ==
 
  +
::I've tried looking up more about MobileFrontEnd and the MinervaNeue skin, but haven't found anything useful. My form is also having trouble displaying divs when show on select is applied. On mobile, all divs are shown regardless of what is selected or not (and the spinning wheel is always present), and on desktop some divs are selectively not showing. I'm getting pretty lost and don't know what even to Google search next. You can check out what is happening on [https://parentratings.miraheze.org/wiki/Form:New_Test this page]. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! [[User:ParentRatings|ParentRatings]] ([[User talk:ParentRatings|talk]]) 23:08, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
:::I've discovered that the desktop view on mobile does not have these problems. If anyone knows of a way to use MobileFrontEnd with MinervaNeue and have the input boxes show and the show on select divs hide when not selected, I would be much obliged, but for now I can switch all mobile users to the desktop view.
  +
:::I am skill having trouble with some show on select divs not showing when they are selected and would appreciate another set of eyes to see what I am missing. Thanks! [[User:ParentRatings|ParentRatings]] ([[User talk:ParentRatings|talk]]) 00:29, 12 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
::::After various tests, I discovered that using show on select within two different input fields pointing to the same div will cause mediawiki to hide those divs unless both inputs are selected. This has solved my other issue. [[User:ParentRatings|ParentRatings]] ([[User talk:ParentRatings|talk]]) 06:12, 12 August 2022 (UTC)
   
 
== XP4Ever WIKI gone ==
 
The ''XP4Ever'' Wiki that used to be available at:
 
The ''XP4Ever'' Wiki that used to be available at:
 
<code>https://xpforever.miraheze.org</code>
 
<code>https://xpforever.miraheze.org</code>
Line 283: Line 289:
   
 
::The wiki is merged into [[:mh:retrowindows|Retro Windows Wiki]]. As the only bureaucrat {{u|Xack}} have declared to leave, the wiki is now at a no bureaucrat status and is currently managed by stewards. Any local election for applying the bureaucrat status is welcomed, but do note the sitenotice there, in which a registered account is required to request rights, as well as contributions are need to shown investment to the wiki in order to apply for admin rights. -Cheers, [[User:Matttest|Matttest]] ([[User talk:Matttest|talk]] | [[Special:Contributions/Matttest|contribs]]) 11:49, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
 
::The wiki is merged into [[:mh:retrowindows|Retro Windows Wiki]]. As the only bureaucrat {{u|Xack}} have declared to leave, the wiki is now at a no bureaucrat status and is currently managed by stewards. Any local election for applying the bureaucrat status is welcomed, but do note the sitenotice there, in which a registered account is required to request rights, as well as contributions are need to shown investment to the wiki in order to apply for admin rights. -Cheers, [[User:Matttest|Matttest]] ([[User talk:Matttest|talk]] | [[Special:Contributions/Matttest|contribs]]) 11:49, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
 
:Thanks for the feedback, guys. Is there ''any'' practical reason to revive ''XP4Ever'' if, as you say and I have checked, it has been integrated into ''[[:mh:retrowindows|Retro Windows Wiki]]''? [[Special:Contributions/94.79.3.84|94.79.3.84]] 12:58, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
   
 
== TheTopTens ==
:Thanks for the feedback, guys. Is there ''any'' practical reason to revive ''XP4Ever'' if, as you say and I have checked, it has been integrated into ''[[:mh:retrowindows|Retro Windows Wiki]]''? [[Special:Contributions/94.79.3.84|94.79.3.84]]
 
 
==TheTopTens==
 
 
I remember discussing why I couldn't use this as a source as it was blocked by the spam filter when I tried to use it. I was told it had been blacklisted and that if I wanted to change that, I should create an RFC. However, I cannot find the discussion. Does anyone know where the discussion is, and more importantly, whether or not this information is true (as in, it is blacklisted and I should create an RFC if I want to change that)? [[User:FatBurn0000|Fat]][[User talk:FatBurn0000|Burn]][[Special:Contributions/FatBurn0000|0000]] ([[User:FatBurn0000/sandbox|sandbox]] | [[Special:CentralAuth/FatBurn0000|CentralAuth]]) 10:12, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
 
I remember discussing why I couldn't use this as a source as it was blocked by the spam filter when I tried to use it. I was told it had been blacklisted and that if I wanted to change that, I should create an RFC. However, I cannot find the discussion. Does anyone know where the discussion is, and more importantly, whether or not this information is true (as in, it is blacklisted and I should create an RFC if I want to change that)? [[User:FatBurn0000|Fat]][[User talk:FatBurn0000|Burn]][[Special:Contributions/FatBurn0000|0000]] ([[User:FatBurn0000/sandbox|sandbox]] | [[Special:CentralAuth/FatBurn0000|CentralAuth]]) 10:12, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
 
:The Spam Blacklist is managed by the Counter Vandalism Team exclusively so an RfC would mandating a change would be overly blunt. If you have any suggestions for CVT regarding the spam blacklist, feel free to start a discussion on the Stewards' noticeboard. [[User:Agent Isai|<span style="color: skyblue; font-weight: bold;">Agent</span> <span style="color: lime; font-weight: bold;">Isai</span>]] <sup>[[User talk:Agent Isai|<span style="color: orange; font-weight: bold;">Talk to me!</span>]]</sup> 17:27, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
 
:The Spam Blacklist is managed by the Counter Vandalism Team exclusively so an RfC would mandating a change would be overly blunt. If you have any suggestions for CVT regarding the spam blacklist, feel free to start a discussion on the Stewards' noticeboard. [[User:Agent Isai|<span style="color: skyblue; font-weight: bold;">Agent</span> <span style="color: lime; font-weight: bold;">Isai</span>]] <sup>[[User talk:Agent Isai|<span style="color: orange; font-weight: bold;">Talk to me!</span>]]</sup> 17:27, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
 
::{{ping|Agent Isai}} Okay, but can you verify the URL <nowiki>thetoptens.com</nowiki> is being blocked somehow? [[User:FatBurn0000|Fat]][[User talk:FatBurn0000|Burn]][[Special:Contributions/FatBurn0000|0000]] ([[User:FatBurn0000/sandbox|sandbox]] | [[Special:CentralAuth/FatBurn0000|CentralAuth]]) 20:56, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
 
::{{ping|Agent Isai}} Okay, but can you verify the URL <nowiki>thetoptens.com</nowiki> is being blocked somehow? [[User:FatBurn0000|Fat]][[User talk:FatBurn0000|Burn]][[Special:Contributions/FatBurn0000|0000]] ([[User:FatBurn0000/sandbox|sandbox]] | [[Special:CentralAuth/FatBurn0000|CentralAuth]]) 20:56, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
:::I vaguely remember people discussing about TheTopTens, but I believe it's already blocked somehow? (Correct me if I am wrong about that.) --[[User:DarkMatterMan4500|DarkMatterMan4500]] ([[User talk:DarkMatterMan4500|talk]]) ([[Special:Contributions/DarkMatterMan4500|contribs]]) 11:38, 10 August 2022 (UTC)
   
 
== Request to import images from angrybirds.fandom.com to angrybirds.miraheze.org ==
 
== Request to import images from angrybirds.fandom.com to angrybirds.miraheze.org ==
 
 
Hello! Can someone please import the images from angrybirds.fandom.com to angrybirds.miraheze.org? The wiki looks better with the images.&nbsp;[[User:Reece2o19|Reece2o19]] ([[User talk:Reece2o19|talk]]) 07:15, 10 August 2022 (UTC)
 
Hello! Can someone please import the images from angrybirds.fandom.com to angrybirds.miraheze.org? The wiki looks better with the images.&nbsp;[[User:Reece2o19|Reece2o19]] ([[User talk:Reece2o19|talk]]) 07:15, 10 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
:{{ping|Reece2o19}} I'm sure someone will assist you sooner or later. --[[User:DarkMatterMan4500|DarkMatterMan4500]] ([[User talk:DarkMatterMan4500|talk]]) ([[Special:Contributions/DarkMatterMan4500|contribs]]) 11:39, 10 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
:If you already have folder of images taken from Fandom wiki, you should make a task on Phabricator about image import, so system administrator will see it and perform it, see here: [[Moving a wiki to Miraheze#Have us do it]]
  +
:[[User:KatozzKita|KatozzKita]] ([[User talk:KatozzKita|talk]]) 06:49, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
::I unfortunately do not have all the pictures from the wiki. [[User:Reece2o19|Reece2o19]] ([[User talk:Reece2o19|talk]]) 15:51, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
:::Unfortunately, you must download all images manually. Fandom doesn't allow you to scrape images automatically. From a personal experience, it sucks. If you need someone to help you with the images, I can. [[User:ZeusDeeGoose|ZeusDeeGoose]] ([[User talk:ZeusDeeGoose|talk]]) 04:05, 12 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
::::Ok. [[User:Reece2o19|Reece2o19]] ([[User talk:Reece2o19|talk]]) 05:15, 12 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
  +
== How to add a feature from Wikipedia to Miraheze? ==
  +
  +
I am writing a fake biography of a footballer/soccer player. On Wikipedia, there is a feature called "infobox footballer biography" which allows you to put stats about said person's career. However when I tried to use that on my wiki that I'm working on, it didn't work and nothing happened. It said the template wasn't found. Is there anyway to add a feature from Wikipedia to Miraheze? Or something similar?
  +
  +
Thanks in advance.&nbsp;[[User:TheNeditor355748|TheNeditor355748]] ([[User talk:TheNeditor355748|talk]]) 13:00, 10 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
  +
:Import Template:Infobox footballer biography from Wikipedia and include all templates. [[User:ZeusDeeGoose|ZeusDeeGoose]] ([[User talk:ZeusDeeGoose|talk]]) 14:44, 10 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
::Thanks, but can you please explain how to actually import a template from Wikipedia? Like step by step, if possible. [[User:TheNeditor355748|TheNeditor355748]] ([[User talk:TheNeditor355748|talk]]) 15:40, 10 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
:::It is a very complicated and long process. You would have to go to [[W:Special:Export|Wikipedia's Special:Export]] and put the titles of the infoboxes you want, download, go to your wiki's Special:Import and upload the file. However, that's all your infobox will come unformatted. As I said, it's much more than that, it's complicated to understand. — [[User:Pixial|<span style="color:black;">'''Pixial'''</span>]] <sup>[[User talk:Pixial|<span style="color: #0caab3;">[Talk]</span>]]</sup> 02:03, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Creating a background out of repeating images ==
  +
  +
So I'm trying to make a background with repeating titles. This is the image I am using. <br>[[File:WikiBackground.jpg|frameless|100px]]<br>How would I go about doing this?&nbsp;[[User:ZeusDeeGoose|ZeusDeeGoose]] ([[User talk:ZeusDeeGoose|talk]]) 03:21, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
  +
:Nevermind, found it out. [[User:ZeusDeeGoose|ZeusDeeGoose]] ([[User talk:ZeusDeeGoose|talk]]) 05:21, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Infobox template error ==
  +
  +
Hello I made an infobox template here: [https://tennislibrary.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:Tennis%20Player https://tennislibrary.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:Tennis Player] that has an extra end script )) appearing on the top left side of the page, I've tried finding where the error is, but unfortunatley my eye sight even with glasses is pretty bad. If anyone knows how to fix it I'd be very grateful, as its appearing on player bio pages ive created many thanks.&nbsp;[[User:Admiral Marcus|Admiral Marcus]] ([[User talk:Admiral Marcus|talk]]) 04:05, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
: Fixed :-) [[User:PercyUK|PercyUK]] ([[User talk:PercyUK|talk]]) 07:19, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
::Thank you very much just seen it now whilst working on a new page. [[User:Admiral Marcus|Admiral Marcus]] ([[User talk:Admiral Marcus|talk]]) 09:47, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Make a sub-section disappear when it is empty? ==
  +
  +
The title is certainly not clear, so I will explain.<br>On this model: https://thebatman.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:Character, the "Appearances" section is empty, but the header still exists, which bothers me. So, I would like the header of the sub-section to disappear when it is empty, and to reappear when there is something inside (Movies, TV Series, ect).<br>Thanks in advance.&nbsp;[[User:Darkrai18|Darkrai18]] ([[User talk:Darkrai18|talk]]) 12:25, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
: {{ping|Darkrai18}}
  +
<pre>
  +
| header7 = {{#if: {{{movies|}}}{{{series|}}}{{{comics|}}}{{{books|}}}| <small><center>Appearances</small></center> }}
  +
</pre>
  +
: [[User:PercyUK|PercyUK]] ([[User talk:PercyUK|talk]]) 13:21, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
::Thank you. [[User:Darkrai18|Darkrai18]] ([[User talk:Darkrai18|talk]]) 13:48, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
  +
== New Request for Comments draft ==
  +
  +
Hi everyone, I have published a draft RfC on the establishment of [[Requests for Comment/Global rollbackers|Global rollbackers]]. I invite everyone to share their comments and opinions on it [[Requests for Comment/Global rollbackers#Comments during drafting stage|here]]. Thanks! [[User:Agent Isai|<span style="color: skyblue; font-weight: bold;">Agent</span> <span style="color: lime; font-weight: bold;">Isai</span>]] <sup>[[User talk:Agent Isai|<span style="color: orange; font-weight: bold;">Talk to me!</span>]]</sup> 22:57, 12 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Global Sysops and opt-out - thoughts? ==
  +
  +
Before deciding whether to open a formal proposal I wish to gather the ''thoughts and opinions'' of the community on the question of Global Sysop opt-outs. Here is an extract from my vote in the current Global rollbackers RfC which explains the situation:
  +
  +
"I do not very much believe in the opt-out concept that exists for Global Sysops because of the fact that Global Sysops also enforce global policies so by having an opt-out wikis are able to restrain the people who are able to enforce policies. It is as if a city could "opt-out" from national police and only allow local police to enforce laws - it does not make much sense ... I strongly support any proposal to abolish the strict opt-out concept and instead replace it with a system where wikis can opt-out from enforcement of local policies (such as vandalism, local blocks, etc.) but cannot opt-out from enforcement of global policies under any circumstances". [[User:DeeM28|DeeM28]] ([[User talk:DeeM28|talk]]) 06:47, 16 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
  +
:I think a limited opt out might make more sense for something like global rollbackers who better resemble platform minimods that may for whatever reason be undesirable in local affairs. I agree with the sentiment that when it becomes a global policy issue, opt out does not make sense. Even with vandalism it can reflect back on the platform.
  +
:I would say, the circumstances where a global sysop can really go all the way handling global policy are limited beyond account locks. More fine situations or enforcing wiki-wide consequence often requires Steward exclusive tools or advanced investigation. In those scenarios it's preferable to just bring in a steward who has the appropriate 'punch' to ensure results. But the steward activity issue is ''not'' gone, either. It's not a role to lean on too strongly. I'm finding myself slipping into a more 'doug role' of skipping time between actions as time goes on, activity wise. I'd like a degree of that responsibility to be available to GS, though we don't have the manpower to do that. So I only have observations, not a conclusion. --[[User:Raidarr|Raidarr]] ([[User talk:Raidarr|talk]]) 11:03, 16 August 2022 (UTC)
  +
::I'd say a balanced approach sounds better than the current situation where Global Sysops can be completely restricted. It's true that most of the time for global policy violations they're complex enough to need Stewards but I myself as Global Sysop have handled a lot of issues like CoC violations or copyright violations so I do think that such issues shouldn't be opted out of. [[User:Reception123|Reception123]] [[User talk:Reception123|(talk)]] ([[Special:Contributions/Reception123|<span style="color:#47C326; font-weight: bold;">C</span>]]) 12:53, 16 August 2022 (UTC)

Revision as of 12:53, 16 August 2022

OOjs UI icon userGroup-ltr.svgCommunity noticeboard
This noticeboard is community discussions, generally global in nature or which relate to specific wikis or users. For requests that require Steward or Global Sysop intervention, please see the Stewards' noticeboard. If in doubt, please try here first, and you will be directed there if the matter requires a Steward. For discussion pertaining to Meta only, please visit the Meta Community portal.

On Community noticeboard, you can:

  • Start a community discussion, generally global in nature or which relates to specific wiki(s).
  • Solicit volunteers' assistance to help maintain or write content for your wiki
  • Ask questions with both the global community and system administrators about either Miraheze or some technical aspect of MediaWiki on your wiki
  • Request changes to your wiki's local interwiki table, including change(s) to locally override one or more of the global interwiki table (located on Meta) prefix configurations

If you would like to request...


To add your request, type in a concise title in the box below, then click "Add Topic".

Archives of Community noticeboard [e]   




Revisiting Extension:PdfBook

...now that we're closing in on the MW 1.38 era, and talk of this utility hasn't been touched upon on Miraheze in ages.

This contributor deployed PdfBook in a test run on Saturday, May 21, replacing the promising but much-flawed Display Title in his site's lineup. On-and-off reports of its ineffectiveness elsewhere have diminished its long-term prospects; while preparing this post, rendering with ?action=pdfbook at the end of a wiki URL has led to an error message when trying to view the output. On Android devices with Google Docs (like mine), this reads:

Cannot display PDF (Title.pdf is of invalid format)

...thanks to which I'm dropping it for good right after this goes to press. (Alerting developers Aran Dunkley and Igor Absorto, and XPosting this message on the extension's talk page, later on; also paging @Universal Omega: for any additional word.)

At Phabricator last December, Universal Omega himself remarked on its fate:

PdfBook is mostly unmaintained, and not on Wikimedia Gerrit,[1] so I don't see any fix happening there. We should consider removal.[2]

A real shame, as something like it would sure come in handy for my future books. Let's hope it actually gets fixed soon enough.... Routhwick (talk) 11:32, 29 May 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Is there an alternative to PdfBook that is being maintained? I have it on my private wiki, but I'm not happy with its lack of word-wrap around infoboxes or its lack of support for non-Latin characters. --Robkelk (talk) 14:42, 10 June 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Robkelk: Apart from the built-in "Printable version" utility, maybe DocBookExport (which Referata once experimented with) or mPDF?
To @Universal Omega: Perhaps we might as well initiate extension trials for either/both in a few days? --Routhwick (talk) 00:57, 18 June 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thank you, @Routhwick:. I have concerns about DocBookExport (which is listed as being a stable release) needing Figures (which is listed as being in beta); who knows when a change to Figures might make DocBookExport unusable? mPDF looks usable from its description. --Robkelk (talk) 12:26, 18 June 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I might see if I can try myself to get PdfBook working, and if not, alternatives may be able to be considered later on, with a security review being done for them. Universal Omega (talk) 20:59, 28 June 2022 (UTC)[reply]
mPDF is on track for a request filing at Phabricator next Monday (or a bit earlier if fate here permits). --Routhwick (talk) 00:21, 20 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Request has now been filed at T9582. (Although, with so many tasks on the backlog, seems it's gonna take a matter of days/weeks from here. To @Universal Omega: What's been holding things up lately?) --Routhwick (talk) 20:10, 25 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Since mPDF only offers single-page support and is almost exactly the same as the native "Printable version" feature, it's either I withdraw my request in favour of DocBookExport (which has multi-page support), or let it stay en route to a test run. (In case @Universal Omega: is keeping track.) --Routhwick (talk) 23:13, 9 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Technical Director elections

Hi everyone, Please note the election period for the Technical Director position is currently taking place. This page provides for more details. Unlike Community Directors who represent the community, the Technical Director represents SRE and Technical Volunteers and as such only they are able to participate and vote. Reception123 (talk) (C) 17:55, 9 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Then there was no real reason to post it on the community noticeboard, then :/ Naleksuh (talk) 18:15, 9 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I agree it's definitely not the best place but I wasn't sure where else to put it to get the attention of the users concerned. Reception123 (talk) (C) 18:20, 9 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
It can be put in the sitenotice for notification if it’s really important. Cheers, Matttest (talk | contribs) 05:22, 10 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
A sitenotice would make even less sense as it's very much directed towards a small group of volunteers. If it was a Community Director election then certainly. Reception123 (talk) (C) 09:00, 10 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Voting is now open. See Tech:Technical Director/Election/2022#Voting. --Reception123 (talk) (C) 19:22, 21 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I actually think community noticeboard was the best place to post this. Community noticeboard is not just for discussions, community proposals, etc. It is also for important pan-Miraheze announcements, and this is indeed one of those. Dmehus (talk) 02:01, 1 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Lang prefix request for dkpedia.com

Requesting the addition of dkwiki.org, aka dkpt.miraheze.org, as Portuguese Brazilian (pt-br) langauge prefix on dkpedia. Essentially:

Site: dkpedia.com (donkeykong.miraheze.org)

Prefix pt-br (link: dkpt.miraheze.org, or dkwiki.org to be specific)

Can this be done? Portuguese DK Wiki's founder attempted to add his wiki as a language prefix, so I figured I'd ask here. Bawitdaba (talk) 21:40, 14 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Bawitdaba Hi, this is now done. Sorry for the delay :) --  Joseph  TB  CT  CA  22:01, 26 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Ugochimobi: Thank you! Bawitdaba (talk) 00:40, 27 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Changing skin style of the wiki

This thread is moved from Stewards' noticeboard to here.

Is it possible to make my wiki (link) to use the same skin as this one or this oneCornelia (talk) 20:18, 18 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

You can enable the skin, Cosmos, then enable it as the default wiki skin. LetraSeca (talk) 20:29, 18 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I don't know how to do it. Cornelia (talk) 05:22, 19 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Please read ManageWiki, it's a very useful article. You can enable skins at Special:ManageWiki/extensions -> Skins and then enable it as the default skin at Special:ManageWiki/settings -> Styling -> Default skin. Agent Isai Talk to me! 06:24, 19 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Cornelia: As this is supposed to be a question from a technical aspect of your wiki, which doesn’t require Stewards assistance, I have procedurally moved the thread to here. Cheers, Matttest (talk | contribs) 06:33, 19 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Thank you, I managed to set it. I also have a few questions: can I enable tabber? It doesn't seem to be working. How can I make <mainpage-leftcolumn-start /> to work on the Main Page (to make it into two columns like here)? Cornelia (talk) 15:45, 19 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Tabber can be enabled at Special:ManageWiki/extensions#mw-section-parserhooks. The main page also uses <mainpage-rightcolumn-start /> to make two columns. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 04:27, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

How to get a Skin?

I want to get the "Cosmos" skin, but it's not on my wiki. Can you tell me how to get the skin?  Spanish Fan (talk) 11:57, 20 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I believe the thread above has already answered this question. LetraSeca (talk) 16:03, 20 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
It can be enabled at Special:ManageWiki/extensions#mw-section-skins. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 04:28, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Where do I announce my wiki for others to join?

Hi all, I created my work-in-progress wiki but I do not know where to post my announcement in this website as I want to attract users in joining and helping with my project of mine. Capybread (talk) 14:20, 23 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Hi, commenting here as a volunteer. There are 2 ways if you want to promote your wiki to users here on Meta. (i) ask users to contribute to your wiki, with brief descriptions about your wiki in here, the community noticeboard; (ii) this is an indirect method, but putting your wiki’s name and brief description into Gazetteer of wikis may also be a good method. This is the page which users who are interested in joining different wiki communities will usually check. Hope that helps. Cheers, Matttest (talk | contribs) 04:27, 24 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks! Capybread (talk) 14:41, 24 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Please delete a file on Scruffy Wiki

When I try to delete https://scruffy.miraheze.org/wiki/File:Foobar.svg (private wiki) I get Error deleting file: An unknown error occurred in storage backend "local-backend". Please could a sysop delete this file? Rob Kam (talk) 15:26, 23 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Now posted to T9578 Rob Kam (talk) 09:39, 25 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Problem with deleting a category

I can't edit nor delete this category on my wiki. When I try to delete it I get this:

[c47366c47193b43e4362b5b6] 2022-07-23 17:14:55: Fatal exception of type "LogicException"
 Cornelia (talk) 17:18, 23 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Please report this on Phabricator, thanks. Agent Isai Talk to me! 21:39, 24 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

User group

Hello ! Why can't I check the following user groups: user checkers, bureaucrat, interwiki administrator, edit masker and stewards in the user rights management menu?TYURZ (talk) 14:14, 24 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

In my wiki TYURZ (talk) 14:14, 24 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Please read User groups#Restricted local user groups. "User checker" (CheckUser), "Edit masker" (Oversight) and Steward are restricted to only Stewards, users who were elected by the global communities to use those tools and do many other things. Interwiki administrator is granted to users only following a successful local election for it. Agent Isai Talk to me! 14:48, 24 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Hey folks, is anyone interested in helping out my wiki?

https://athenaeumspaces.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

Let me introduce my little project of mine! If you hadn't guessed, my wiki will be based on the concept of the backrooms while being similar to the backrooms fandom wiki. Although it is currently private as I am still working on it, I am in need of help finishing it. If you are interested, reply and comment to this post. I just need atleast three members to get this project going!

Moreover, I will wait for few days or so for this post to get more attraction. Depending on what day I will be active, you will get message and instructions from me, so don't forget about that to.

Have nice day everyone! Capybread (talk) 14:55, 24 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Anyone? 😭 Capybread (talk) 23:41, 25 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Frankly speaking, this isn't a good place to get attention for specialized creative writing projects. People who check Meta tend to have their own projects, have specific goals or otherwise aren't interested in long term commitments and tend to only raise a hand when there is a specific question/issue. You'll have better luck appealing to the communities that are already involved in the subject, without coming across as spam of course. --Raidarr (talk) 10:44, 26 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Oh.. so uh, would it better to advertise my wiki in the discord or fandom? 🤔 Capybread (talk) 12:25, 26 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I doubt you will be appreciated advertising a wiki for a competing platform, but if there is an appropriate discord server and place within it to post, that could work. --Raidarr (talk) 23:34, 26 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Oh, alright! Thanks for the advice!! Hope it works, haha 😅 Capybread (talk) 01:35, 27 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

How often does Miraheze review new wiki requests?

How often does Miraheze review new wiki requests?

I remember a year or two ago, as long as a request was made, it would be answered within a few hours and all issues resolved.

However, Miraheze is now conducting centralized reviews on a 24-hour cycle, but each review does not resolve all issues - and it is those new requests (rather than old requests that may require further action) that cannot be reviewed at once, Just have to wait until the next day.

Is there something wrong with Miraheze recently, or is it just me being delusional? Creeper19472 (talk) 11:18, 26 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Creeper19472: You are not crazy. I see on the wiki request list, someone has been waiting six days for their request to be processed. When I submitted my request to create my wiki, it was taken care of in a few hours. Darkrai18 (talk) 17:00, 26 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
RequestWikiQueue is misleading. The date shown on there is the date of when the request was originally submitted. If a request is declined and later resubmitted, it'll still show the date of the original request, not the date that it was resubmitted so requests that were declined a year ago but resubmitted an hour ago will show up on the top as having been requested last year despite having been resubmitted just an hour ago. Agent Isai Talk to me! 00:03, 27 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
It depends on who is reviewing and when. It could take within a few hours or the latter part of the mentioned '24 hour cycle', sometimes more since most wiki creators are not on daily and those who are still have days they don't look. It does take more thought to parse wiki requests than in the past as we are more stringent in some areas than even a year ago and it's possible we're in a slower spell for volunteers available to review right now, but aside from a couple instances lately I haven't seen an intolerable backlog.
I would imagine the 'waiting for six days' person was not a request that was literally waiting 6 days without response, I would want to know which request if so. The numbers can be misleading since sometimes a back and forth is required and it can take multiple passes for someone to make an acceptable request and some users find it hard to provide adequate detail for what they want. But that seems to be a different matter to what the OP is discussing. --Raidarr (talk) 23:50, 26 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
It was the rupathfinderwiki request that had been first started over 6 days ago but just recently got edited and resubmitted. RequestWikiQueue shows the original date of when the request was first submitted, not when it was last edited and resubmitted which may be misleading. Agent Isai Talk to me! 23:56, 26 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

July 2022 Directors Meeting

Hello all, please see the latest agenda for the July 2022 Board of Director's meeting for Miraheze Limited. Any additional points people would like to raise, please let me know. Thank you, Owen (talk) 19:52, 27 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Speed

Is it just me or does miraheze wikis is little slower than fandom wikis when loading to another page? Capybread (talk) 01:11, 29 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Fandom, being a multimillion dollar company, has thousands of servers ready to serve users so you probably don't see too much lag with them. Miraheze however relies on donations and has a smaller set of servers as we're not so big so during times of peak demand, services may slow down a tiny bit. With the addition of new servers soon, we hope that may alleviate the issues we're seeing. Agent Isai Talk to me! 01:17, 29 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Oh, I see. By the way, when do you think will we have the same speed as the wikis from fandom? Capybread (talk) 23:08, 1 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Wiki appearance problem

Good afternoon I currently have two wikis https://departmentofstarfleet.miraheze.org/wiki/Federation Department of Starfleet and this new one https://tennislibrary.miraheze.org/wiki/Main Page when I requested the last one I asked if it could be the same appearence as the starfleet wiki. When I edit on both they appear the same, but when I log out and look at the tennis wiki the layout is incorrect and is causing tables Ive created to bunch up. Can you take a look at both to see where Im coming from rectify the problem, much appreciated. Admiral Marcus (talk) 06:59, 29 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Have managed to correct it myself.Admiral Marcus (talk) 07:23, 29 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Requests Interwiki administrators to change Interwiki

Wiki url [1]

We need change some Interwiki's URL:

  1. (bbsw) https://mcbbs-wiki.cn/wiki/$1 -> https://mcbbs.wiki/wiki/$1
  2. (mcwiki) https://minecraft-zh.gamepedia.com/$1 -> https://minecraft.fandom.com/zh/wiki/$1

Thanks. -- 坑触可 (talk) 10:08, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Shouldn't this be handled at the stewards' noticeboard? ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 23:48, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
ZeusDeeGoose, no, stewards' noticeboard is for notifying Stewards of local interwiki administrator election requests. I can look into these if they've been handled, though. Dmehus (talk) 23:50, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Ah, my bad. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 23:53, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
ZeusDeeGoose, not a problem at all. :) Dmehus (talk) 23:57, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
坑触可, thank you for your perfectly formatted interwiki request. This has all the needed information. This is has now been Yes check.svg done (#1 and #2). Dmehus (talk) 23:57, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks a lot. -- 坑触可 (talk) 01:23, 1 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
No problem. :) Dmehus (talk) 01:53, 1 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Importing templates

Hello, I have a wiki, Citypedia And I want the cite web template to work. But it doesn't work, I can't import it from the English Wikipedia. I want to import other templates, but I can't import them either. But why? What exactly do I need to do? Thanks :) Lois (talk) 12:10, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Did you enable Cite in extensions? ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 14:54, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I just looked, and yes, it is enabled. Lois (talk) 15:13, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Go to Special:Import, scroll down to the bottom. Click Source wiki and select Wikipedia. Enter Template:Cite web and submit. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 16:15, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Okay, but now it says: "Script error: No such module "citation/CS1". What am I doing wrong? :( Lois (talk) 16:31, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Try including all templates. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 18:42, 31 July 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Okay, that works. Thank you so much. Lois (talk) 04:25, 1 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
No problem! ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 18:28, 1 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Miraheze wiki doesn't appear why?

My wiki doesn't appear, I do not understand why, maybe is because it has passed more than 60 days without any change, I'm the owner of the wiki, how can I get it back? Panthervz99 (talk) 14:05, 1 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

What is your wiki's subdomain? Looking here, I see no approved wikis for you. Did you request your wiki with another user account? Thanks. Dmehus (talk) 14:08, 1 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
My wiki's name is "World Song Contest", I don't remember if i started this wiki in this account or the other I have Panthervz99 (talk) 23:27, 4 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Panthervz99: Maybe it was deleted for being dormant. Did you save the wiki domain? — Pixial [Talk] 02:07, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Lua error

Hi, What does this mean?: Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1 at line 1392: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil). And this: Script error: No such module "Settlement short description". I'd like to understand the codes, but it's a bit much for me that my wiki doesn't work well. Thanks :) Lois (talk) 14:19, 1 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Could you explain what you're trying to do? ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 23:14, 1 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I have imported some templates. And I must have imported them wrong. Or do I need to rewrite something in the MediaWiki.css file to make the templates work? I ask someone who knows how to do it to patiently explain it to me. Thank you so much. Lois (talk) 05:08, 2 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I think I can partially help in this issue. For the second error you mentioned, it means the module “Settlement short description” is required for the template to work, but it doesn’t exist in your wiki. Please try to import the module here to resolve the error. Cheers, Matttest (talk | contribs) 09:02, 2 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Matttest Thanks, this is good, it works. However, now in the Reference section it says: Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1/Date_validation at line 946: attempt to index field 'inv_local_long' (a nil value).
I don't understand. All templates are already imported. What could be the error? Thanks :) Lois (talk) 12:52, 2 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Language bug ??

On all wiki across Meta, some wikis and user setting's language is Foreign Language, but they turns English including system messages and special page positions. For system messages, the most obvious changes is Pagetitle. Also, the HTML language is foreign language, but it always shows with English; For skins, it will be change to the new vector if the skin is default and/or it was imported by ManageWiki. What's the the matter with that? (Note: Sometimes, the Language and Skin change are not only partial but also the full-site. )--小美粉粉 (Talk) (Contribs) (Sandbox) (My Wiki) (Global Contribs) 1004065811 bytes of data NOTE: Do not {{ping}} me! 02:30, 2 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Hi 小美粉粉, this is a bug recently discovered, as shown in this Phabricator task. Please follow the linked phabricator task for more details. Cheers, Matttest (talk | contribs) 08:58, 2 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Due to email typo problems (string '89@' inserted as '99@', i.e. the email cannot be confirmed), I can't reply there (my account is 'macbookproo'). However, this bug has been partially fixed in most of Miraheze wikis including Meta. --小美粉粉 (Talk) (Contribs) (Sandbox) (My Wiki) (Global Contribs) 1004065811 bytes of data NOTE: Do not {{ping}} me! 09:30, 2 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Private wiki question

How do I add people to my private wiki? Capybread (talk) 22:32, 4 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Add the member right to a user. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 23:17, 4 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Remove the colored background from my wiki?

Hello, someone could tell me how to remove the grey background from my wiki: https://fiction.miraheze.org/wiki/
I deleted my entire MediaWiki:Common.css code, without success. Thanks in advance. Darkrai18 (talk) 16:00, 6 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

You may have to wait a while as it takes a bit of time to update. If it still persists, clear the cache of your browser. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 16:32, 6 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@ZeusDeeGoose: I did it several times, and I changed the code twenty minutes ago. Darkrai18 (talk) 16:44, 6 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Try purging the cache. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 16:53, 6 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@ZeusDeeGoose: I just told you I've done it several times. Darkrai18 (talk) 16:55, 6 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I meant on the wiki. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 16:59, 6 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@ZeusDeeGoose: Well yes, on the wiki. Darkrai18 (talk) 17:35, 6 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I didn't see anything incorrect on the wiki, I believe it has been resolved. — Pixial [Talk] 02:06, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Drawn Feet Wiki: possible block evasion

To Tycio and DeltaRuneFan2001, I have ample reason to believe that Lucario448 is a block-evading sockpuppet of Ceadeus, as the former is continuing the latter's uploading of images with no feet showing. I have no choice but to take this here, as I am blocked on the wiki and cannot edit my own talk page. ThisWas (talk) 20:21, 7 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I took care of that, and for an extra bonus, I deleted more of his pictures because he is apparently Mew according to CherryFeet. - DeltaRuneFan2001 (talk) 02:26, 8 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Could you gather some evidence? DarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 20:30, 7 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Unable to edit permissions/settings/extensions

On the extensions, core settings, and permission pages I am unable to edit any of them even though I'm the owner.

They are all grayed-out buttons and whenever a user or visitor goes onto any of the wiki pages (aside from Main Page), it just shows this:


You do not have permission to read this page, for the following reason: The action you have requested is limited to users in one of the groups: Bureaucrats, Members, Administrators.


I need this fixed ASAP. Thanks. Raidz (talk) 22:12, 7 August 2022 (UTC)raidzxd[reply]

Can you give a link to the wiki you own? MacacoKouhai (talk) 22:24, 7 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Here: mystanarchy.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page Raidz (talk) 22:35, 7 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Ah! It is because you can no longer make further configurations due to some T&S investigation https://meta.miraheze.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&logid=752885. MacacoKouhai (talk) 22:39, 7 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Hmm, that's weird. Is there any possible reason to know why this is happening or when it will be over? Raidz (talk) 22:48, 7 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I don't know. Maybe you can try contacting User:Doug (Miraheze) or User:Mysterion5361 privately. MacacoKouhai (talk) 22:54, 7 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Alright, thanks. Raidz (talk) 23:05, 7 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Forminput box not appearing on mobile

Hello!

When I check my site on mobile, the forminput box and "Create or edit" button does not appear on my form pages. You can check this here.

Can someone help me figure out why and help me fix this?

Thanks! ParentRatings (talk) 01:28, 9 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I've tested on other browsers and other devices, and it sometimes works. I assume this has to do with how they implement JavaScript. The one place I cannot get it to work on is my android device using Chrome. I double checked and JavaScript is enabled. Is mobileview always this finnicky? Is there a way to make this better? I assume that an android device using Chrome is going to be a very common combination and want to be able to get my site working for those users. Thanks for any assistance. ParentRatings (talk) 23:10, 10 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I've tried looking up more about MobileFrontEnd and the MinervaNeue skin, but haven't found anything useful. My form is also having trouble displaying divs when show on select is applied. On mobile, all divs are shown regardless of what is selected or not (and the spinning wheel is always present), and on desktop some divs are selectively not showing. I'm getting pretty lost and don't know what even to Google search next. You can check out what is happening on this page. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ParentRatings (talk) 23:08, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I've discovered that the desktop view on mobile does not have these problems. If anyone knows of a way to use MobileFrontEnd with MinervaNeue and have the input boxes show and the show on select divs hide when not selected, I would be much obliged, but for now I can switch all mobile users to the desktop view.
I am skill having trouble with some show on select divs not showing when they are selected and would appreciate another set of eyes to see what I am missing. Thanks! ParentRatings (talk) 00:29, 12 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
After various tests, I discovered that using show on select within two different input fields pointing to the same div will cause mediawiki to hide those divs unless both inputs are selected. This has solved my other issue. ParentRatings (talk) 06:12, 12 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

XP4Ever WIKI gone

The XP4Ever Wiki that used to be available at: https://xpforever.miraheze.org is no longer there. What happened?

I see it was closed because of inactivity, which is sad news. An abandoned Wiki is as useful a repository of knowledge as an live one, especially when the subject is a old operating system. Can it be reinstated to the joy of retrocomputing enthusiasts? In fact, I am writing this from Windows XP!

Can you perhaps bring it back up for a short period so that I may archive it, or—even better—let me download an archive of this Wiki? 94.79.3.84 09:21, 9 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Per Special:DeletedWikis, XP4Ever was created on Fri, 19 Jun 2020 08:37:50 GMT, and deleted on Thu, 21 Jul 2022 13:05:13 GMT. Perhaps a steward can help you out at Requests for reopening wikis? Or better yet, try contacting original bureaucrat Xack wherever else he's active. --Routhwick (talk) 09:25, 9 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
P.S. Xack should have made a dormancy exemption beforehand. --Routhwick (talk) 09:29, 9 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
The wiki is merged into Retro Windows Wiki. As the only bureaucrat Xack have declared to leave, the wiki is now at a no bureaucrat status and is currently managed by stewards. Any local election for applying the bureaucrat status is welcomed, but do note the sitenotice there, in which a registered account is required to request rights, as well as contributions are need to shown investment to the wiki in order to apply for admin rights. -Cheers, Matttest (talk | contribs) 11:49, 9 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Is there any practical reason to revive XP4Ever if, as you say and I have checked, it has been integrated into Retro Windows Wiki? 94.79.3.84 12:58, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

TheTopTens

I remember discussing why I couldn't use this as a source as it was blocked by the spam filter when I tried to use it. I was told it had been blacklisted and that if I wanted to change that, I should create an RFC. However, I cannot find the discussion. Does anyone know where the discussion is, and more importantly, whether or not this information is true (as in, it is blacklisted and I should create an RFC if I want to change that)? FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 10:12, 9 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

The Spam Blacklist is managed by the Counter Vandalism Team exclusively so an RfC would mandating a change would be overly blunt. If you have any suggestions for CVT regarding the spam blacklist, feel free to start a discussion on the Stewards' noticeboard. Agent Isai Talk to me! 17:27, 9 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Agent Isai: Okay, but can you verify the URL thetoptens.com is being blocked somehow? FatBurn0000 (sandbox | CentralAuth) 20:56, 9 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I vaguely remember people discussing about TheTopTens, but I believe it's already blocked somehow? (Correct me if I am wrong about that.) --DarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 11:38, 10 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Request to import images from angrybirds.fandom.com to angrybirds.miraheze.org

Hello! Can someone please import the images from angrybirds.fandom.com to angrybirds.miraheze.org? The wiki looks better with the images. Reece2o19 (talk) 07:15, 10 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Reece2o19: I'm sure someone will assist you sooner or later. --DarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 11:39, 10 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
If you already have folder of images taken from Fandom wiki, you should make a task on Phabricator about image import, so system administrator will see it and perform it, see here: Moving a wiki to Miraheze#Have us do it
KatozzKita (talk) 06:49, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I unfortunately do not have all the pictures from the wiki. Reece2o19 (talk) 15:51, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Unfortunately, you must download all images manually. Fandom doesn't allow you to scrape images automatically. From a personal experience, it sucks. If you need someone to help you with the images, I can. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 04:05, 12 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Ok. Reece2o19 (talk) 05:15, 12 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

How to add a feature from Wikipedia to Miraheze?

I am writing a fake biography of a footballer/soccer player. On Wikipedia, there is a feature called "infobox footballer biography" which allows you to put stats about said person's career. However when I tried to use that on my wiki that I'm working on, it didn't work and nothing happened. It said the template wasn't found. Is there anyway to add a feature from Wikipedia to Miraheze? Or something similar?

Thanks in advance. TheNeditor355748 (talk) 13:00, 10 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Import Template:Infobox footballer biography from Wikipedia and include all templates. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 14:44, 10 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks, but can you please explain how to actually import a template from Wikipedia? Like step by step, if possible. TheNeditor355748 (talk) 15:40, 10 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
It is a very complicated and long process. You would have to go to Wikipedia's Special:Export and put the titles of the infoboxes you want, download, go to your wiki's Special:Import and upload the file. However, that's all your infobox will come unformatted. As I said, it's much more than that, it's complicated to understand. — Pixial [Talk] 02:03, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Creating a background out of repeating images

So I'm trying to make a background with repeating titles. This is the image I am using.
File:WikiBackground.jpg
How would I go about doing this? ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 03:21, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Nevermind, found it out. ZeusDeeGoose (talk) 05:21, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Infobox template error

Hello I made an infobox template here: https://tennislibrary.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:Tennis Player that has an extra end script )) appearing on the top left side of the page, I've tried finding where the error is, but unfortunatley my eye sight even with glasses is pretty bad. If anyone knows how to fix it I'd be very grateful, as its appearing on player bio pages ive created many thanks. Admiral Marcus (talk) 04:05, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Fixed :-) PercyUK (talk) 07:19, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thank you very much just seen it now whilst working on a new page. Admiral Marcus (talk) 09:47, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Make a sub-section disappear when it is empty?

The title is certainly not clear, so I will explain.
On this model: https://thebatman.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:Character, the "Appearances" section is empty, but the header still exists, which bothers me. So, I would like the header of the sub-section to disappear when it is empty, and to reappear when there is something inside (Movies, TV Series, ect).
Thanks in advance. Darkrai18 (talk) 12:25, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Darkrai18:
| header7 = {{#if: {{{movies|}}}{{{series|}}}{{{comics|}}}{{{books|}}}| <small><center>Appearances</small></center> }}
PercyUK (talk) 13:21, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thank you. Darkrai18 (talk) 13:48, 11 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

New Request for Comments draft

Hi everyone, I have published a draft RfC on the establishment of Global rollbackers. I invite everyone to share their comments and opinions on it here. Thanks! Agent Isai Talk to me! 22:57, 12 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Global Sysops and opt-out - thoughts?

Before deciding whether to open a formal proposal I wish to gather the thoughts and opinions of the community on the question of Global Sysop opt-outs. Here is an extract from my vote in the current Global rollbackers RfC which explains the situation:

"I do not very much believe in the opt-out concept that exists for Global Sysops because of the fact that Global Sysops also enforce global policies so by having an opt-out wikis are able to restrain the people who are able to enforce policies. It is as if a city could "opt-out" from national police and only allow local police to enforce laws - it does not make much sense ... I strongly support any proposal to abolish the strict opt-out concept and instead replace it with a system where wikis can opt-out from enforcement of local policies (such as vandalism, local blocks, etc.) but cannot opt-out from enforcement of global policies under any circumstances". DeeM28 (talk) 06:47, 16 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I think a limited opt out might make more sense for something like global rollbackers who better resemble platform minimods that may for whatever reason be undesirable in local affairs. I agree with the sentiment that when it becomes a global policy issue, opt out does not make sense. Even with vandalism it can reflect back on the platform.
I would say, the circumstances where a global sysop can really go all the way handling global policy are limited beyond account locks. More fine situations or enforcing wiki-wide consequence often requires Steward exclusive tools or advanced investigation. In those scenarios it's preferable to just bring in a steward who has the appropriate 'punch' to ensure results. But the steward activity issue is not gone, either. It's not a role to lean on too strongly. I'm finding myself slipping into a more 'doug role' of skipping time between actions as time goes on, activity wise. I'd like a degree of that responsibility to be available to GS, though we don't have the manpower to do that. So I only have observations, not a conclusion. --Raidarr (talk) 11:03, 16 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I'd say a balanced approach sounds better than the current situation where Global Sysops can be completely restricted. It's true that most of the time for global policy violations they're complex enough to need Stewards but I myself as Global Sysop have handled a lot of issues like CoC violations or copyright violations so I do think that such issues shouldn't be opted out of. Reception123 (talk) (C) 12:53, 16 August 2022 (UTC)[reply]