This page is for community discussion. Official actions/requests should be made at Stewards' noticeboard
If you want:
Please remember to:
- 1 Translation of the Miraheze homepage
- 2 how to deal with "413 Request Entity Too Large" ?
- 3 Is Patreon allowed at Miraheze?
- 4 How To Add Videos To Your Miraheze Page?
- 5 Between the Brackets podcast featuring John
- 6 Creating a public and a private section into the same wiki
- 7 Translate access
- 8 Meta:Request for permission is locked
- 9 I have: "Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination"
- 10 Upload error
- 11 ways to check import logs
- 12 503 Backend fetch failed
- 13 Private page readable without restriction
- 14 IRC proposal: Create Feed channels in other languages besides Miraheze-feed
- 15 Having problems with the VisualEditor extension: "Error loading data from server: apierror-visualeditor-docserver-http: HTTP 404"
- 16 Database Errors with Images
- 17 Age requirements
- 18 How can I add a message in the header?
- 19 Fatal exception of type MWException
Translation of the Miraheze homepage[edit | edit source]
- @Eduaddad: Oh, you mean the landing page which is not MediaWiki. @Paladox: Is it possible to translate? Reception123 (talk) (C) 08:20, 7 April 2019 (UTC)
how to deal with "413 Request Entity Too Large" ?[edit | edit source]
I am trying to use Special:Import at my community and got the following error message:
- 413 Request Entity Too Large
I am trying to import an XML file containing the data of a Wikia project's articles. It is 461.9 MB.
Does anyone know what the maximum import size is? Any way I can change the setting to include this?
I read at https://craftcms.stackexchange.com/questions/2328/413-request-entity-too-large-error-with-uploading-a-file and https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-bsd-nginx-413-request-entity-too-large/ that for nginx you need to change something called client_max_body_size in "nginx.conf" but I'm not sure how to find that. Is that something any project owner can access, or only miraheze staff?
- may require root access to the server. (If you are on a shared host, contact your server administrator.)
Who is the server administrator of the wiki? Can they give me a temporary boost to 500 MB file upload just to import this XML and then set it back to normal? Or perhaps could they upload it for me, or teach me to upload from the .7z file so it's compressed?
Compressed by default in a .7z file this was merely 14.9 MB but I was getting a different error "Import failed: Expected <mediawiki> tag, got. " when I tried to import the compressed .7z version of the XML. Tycio (talk) 03:32, 25 March 2019 (UTC)
- hi, that’s because we have a max upload limit set server side. The limit is 250MB. You can request us to import the dump at https://phabricator.miraheze.org/ Paladox (talk) 01:49, 27 March 2019 (UTC)
Is Patreon allowed at Miraheze?[edit | edit source]
I have read the Content Policy, but it does not specify if a Patreon project is allowed. What happens is that I would like to know if it is legal to ask for financial help from a Patreon project to be able to make more and better articles for a specific wiki. The money obtained will not be directly for me, since a percentage will be donated to Miraheze. This does not mean that I am going to convert a wiki into a restricted access only for those who supported Patreon, in fact, the wiki will remain fully open to the public. I would like to know if a project in Patreon like this counts as a limited fundraiser-type sales as was mentioned in Content Policy, since the main reason for Patreon's project will be to improve the wiki and its content. --PaladinDeGigantas (talk) 20:01, 26 March 2019 (UTC)
- Here <-- I have noticed that several staff members were in favor of a Patreon for Miraheze, although they have not yet carried out that project. --PaladinDeGigantas (talk) 20:05, 26 March 2019 (UTC)
- I'd say, since you are not selling anything through our services, it's fine to use Patreon to support your work on your project. And yeah, a Patreon for Miraheze is something that really should be on the table. -- Void Whispers 22:29, 28 March 2019 (UTC)
How To Add Videos To Your Miraheze Page?[edit | edit source]
- You might be able to upload videos, but I'd recommend using the YouTube extension, which allows you to embed YouTube videos into your pages. -- Void Whispers 03:39, 30 March 2019 (UTC)
- There are a few ways to do this. Option 1 would be to upload a .ogg through Special:Upload and hope for the best. Installing the TimedMediaHandler is defiantly preferred if not a must have for anyone doing this. However video support is hard so unless their is something preventing you from doing this I would recommend following Void's advice.
- ~ El Komodos Drago (talk to me) 12:39, 3 April 2019 (UTC)
Between the Brackets podcast featuring John[edit | edit source]
Since we don't really have a specific place for these kind of things, I thought this would be the best place to post this. For anyone who is interested, User:John (co-founder, sysadmin and steward here) recently recorded an episode of Between the Brackets, a MediaWiki podcast, where he discusses Miraheze-related topics. Check it out here :) If you have any questions about the points raised or feedback, feel free to comment on this post. Reception123 (talk) (C) 15:06, 3 April 2019 (UTC)
Creating a public and a private section into the same wiki[edit | edit source]
Hi all. I am new here but collaborated as a volunteer in it.wikipedia and other wikis before. I have sent a request for creating a new private wiki for an organization. Actually, I would prefer to have in the same wiki two sections: one public (readable/editable for anyone) and one private (readable/editable just for selected users), as it happens on Wikipedia, where some pages are viewable only by administrators. Is it possible to do something like this with Miraheze? Do I have to change something at this regard in my request? Or have I open two separate wikis? Thanks in advance. --Daniele Pugliesi (talk) 13:51, 4 April 2019 (UTC)
- You could take advantage of the fact that, by rule (see FAQ), even a private wiki's Main Page is public. You can give different classes of user different rights, but I don't know a way to give different pages different treatment. Other people may have better answers for you. 17:14 4-Apr-2019
- It's not possible to have a flexible system where you can have public and non-public pages on the same wiki. If you need to have public and private pages, you will need to use two wikis. Also, as far as I am aware Wikipedia does not have pages that are limited in visibility to admins only (excepting for special pages). -- Void Whispers 20:55, 4 April 2019 (UTC)
Translate access[edit | edit source]
Meta:Request for permission is locked[edit | edit source]
- The page is not locked, but protected for autoconfirmed users, in order to prevent new users from requesting permissions which will most likely not been granted. Due to the fact that autoconfirmed users do have the right to vote, and since the original protection was due to large amounts of requests from users not on Meta, I have changed the protection to just user. However, this can be again changed in the future on a temporary basis if necessary. Reception123 (talk) (C) 16:53, 6 April 2019 (UTC)
I have: "Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination"[edit | edit source]
This error has happened almost a day ago. Every time that my wiki tries to create thumbnails of an image, that message appears. What's going on? Is the storage full? Any failure in the database? Examples:
- Check this gallery, it has no thumbnails: https://giantess.miraheze.org/wiki/Gargantua_and_Pantagruel
- The new files uploaded has no thumbnails: https://giantess.miraheze.org/wiki/Special:NewFiles --PaladinDeGigantas (talk) 01:20, 9 April 2019 (UTC)
- Yes, I reported something similar at Stewards' noticeboard#Unable to upload. 01:29 9-Apr-2019
Upload error[edit | edit source]
Since yesterday I can't upload any files to my Wiki (nltramswiki). When I try to do that I get the following errormessage (in Dutch):
- Het was niet mogelijk het bestand /tmp/phpqKaTMB op te slaan op locatie mwstore://local-backend/local-public/e/e4/Irkoetsk.png.
Can you please resolve this problem?
- @Eelco: Yes, we are sorry for this inconvenience, please see the mention above this one for more information. Reception123 (talk) (C) 08:40, 9 April 2019 (UTC)
ways to check import logs[edit | edit source]
We set up a wiki in January 2019 and one of our admins has imported pages with history dating back to 2011 from Wikia, but I'm not sure who is doing it. I checked Special:Log/import but it's blank. Tycio (talk) 17:24, 9 April 2019 (UTC)
- If you're talking about animatedfeet, then see phab:T4166, it is being imported by maintenance script. -- Void Whispers 18:59, 9 April 2019 (UTC)
503 Backend fetch failed[edit | edit source]
I have been trying to use Special:Import using a 90MB file to import the recent versions of pages from our old wiki. When I did so today and a couple days ago I got the same error message:
- 503 Backend fetch failed
- Our servers are having issues at the moment.
- What can I do?
- If you're a wiki visitor or owner
- Try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, please report this on phabricator. We appoligize for the inconvenience. Our sysadmins should be attempting to solve the issue ASAP!
I am unable to report it on phabricator because it will not send me an activation e-mail. Does anyone know what causes this? I am settling for importing the recent version for now to cut down on file size, so the 250MB limit should not be the issue when it is merely a 90MB file.
- @Tycio: That is because a 90 MB file is too large to be imported on-wiki, and it must be imported by a sysadmin (so requested on Phabricator). Have you tried sending the activation email again? Reception123 (talk) (C) 05:39, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
I just did so successfully... and it turns out I found all the old e-mails I thought weren't getting sent. They were all in my 'Junk Mail'. I was confused as Hotmail recently split the Inbox into "Focused" and "Other" so I guess I was thinking of "Other" as my Junk Mail. I've added Miraheze to Safe Senders so this shouldn't happen anymore. No idea why HM assumed it was spam! Tycio (talk) 03:38, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
Private page readable without restriction[edit | edit source]
Dear all, greetings, I am new to Miraheze. I have one question: Is it possible to make my wiki readable for everyone visiting it but only editable by me? Thanks!
Kind regards Thanuttamo
- Please make a task on Phabricator LegoMaster (talk - contribs - logs - uploads - global contribs) 09:36, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- Actually, this is something that can be done by yourself. Just follow these steps:
- Using Special:ManageWikiPermissions, remove the edit right from the '*' and 'user' groups.
- Again using Special:ManageWikiPermissions, add the edit right to whatever group you would like to be able to edit. If it's just yourself, adding it to 'sysop' (administrator), would work fine.
- That's it. If you need any help getting this done, please let me know. -- Void Whispers 12:51, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
Thank you Void for your answer to my question on the Community Noticeb. regarding steps for my Wiki being not editable but readable by anyone. I followed your instructions but still other people than myself can edit any page. It seems there is just the option between a private Wiki (editorial + reading restrictions) and a public one (no editorial or reading restrictions). Is that the case? Or is a mixture possible, I would like the setting of: editorial restriction + no restriciton as to readability for anyone. Appreciate your assistance. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Thanuttamo (talk • contribs)
- If you follow Void's Step 1 above, general users will not be able to edit your wiki. 10:37 16-Apr-201
What I can see on the "Manage a wiki's permissions" page is a bar with this heading "Select existing group to edit". Bureaucrats I selected in this bar in contrats to the "*" which was default. There is another bar with the heading "Create a new user group", which I left empty as was it by default. After doing that I logged out and still was able in that mode, as a random visitor so to speak, to edit without restriction ... What would you suggest in this case? Further guidance is much appreciated.
IRC proposal: Create Feed channels in other languages besides Miraheze-feed[edit | edit source]
Hello, everybody. For a long time I have been thinking that Miraheze should offer feed channels in the user's language for example to create the Miraheze-feed-es or Miraheze-feed-fr channel for users of the Spanish and French languages. Would it be possible? Does anyone support this? Opinions? Ucronistaw (talk) 20:38, 13 April 2019 (UTC)
- @Ucronistaw: This is an interesting idea. I am not sure if it would work with the current setup, but you could file a feature request on Phabricator for it. Reception123 (talk) (C) 09:08, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
Having problems with the VisualEditor extension: "Error loading data from server: apierror-visualeditor-docserver-http: HTTP 404"[edit | edit source]
Hello, i have just enabled the VisualEditor extension in my wiki. The "edit" button turned into two buttons, one for source editing and one for the visual editor, as expected. Clicking the source editing button works normally, but clicking the button for visual editing displays the error message "Error loading data from server: apierror-visualeditor-docserver-http: HTTP 404. Would you like to retry?" Appear. Retries don't work, either. I also tried clearing my cache since i had just installed the extension, but the problem persists. What should i do? Is this problem known already? YuriNikolai (talk) 19:14, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Hey, sorry for the late response, but this is a known issue, caused by the fact that not all features needed for VisualEditor are enabled at the same time. One part may take ten to twenty minutes to become automatically enabled. So, it should be working now, but let us know if it isn't! -- Void Whispers 22:29, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
Database Errors with Images[edit | edit source]
I'm getting a database error when I upload an image and save, although the image does upload, as seen in the File List. I also get an error when I try to insert an image in the page. The insert is not sucessful. The errors are all like this: [fbcc4dfb3f1e218a0a7a6f6f] 2019-04-18 16:29:06: Fatal exception of type "Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError". Any ideas? Thanks.
- Hi, this is now fixed. We disabled "Approved Revs" temporarily then re enabled it which fixed the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience. Paladox (talk) 17:34, 18 April 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks! Gregfuller 20:24, 18 April 2019 (UTC)
Age requirements[edit | edit source]
I have some friends who are under 13 and wants to contribute to the wiki. They are 11-ish years old. Is there actually an age requirement, like what Wikia. Inc has? The ToU did not say the age requirement. Thank you.
I actually want to use this topic to start a community discussion which might be moved to the Requests for comment page once the discussion has reached a number of signatures on it. Please state your comments below about whether the Site should have age requirements.
- Hello, we doin't allow under 13s and it's not negotiable under EU law. Please see https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Privacy_Policy#8._Children Paladox (talk) 23:11, 19 April 2019 (UTC)
How can I add a message in the header?[edit | edit source]
- Poser and Daz Free Resources has the following message in all its web: "Rest in peace, Syltermermaid. You gave us so much."
- Crappy Games Wiki also has a message: "Fix for Random Pages feature implemented".
- @PaladinDeGigantas: Be sure to also make any change to Sitenotice_id so that users are shown the site notice (once)! 16:55 20-Apr-2019
- But it's a good place for alerts, as every user sees it, once only, when used properly. 11:00 22-Apr-2019
Fatal exception of type MWException[edit | edit source]
I was attempting to setup different user groups and when I saved the first one the site went to saying '[263fa6584ba45c216e0070cc] 2019-04-23 22:35:52: Fatal exception of type MWException." The first half changes when I refresh the page. Not sure what I did wrong. I was trying to use Phabricator as I believe that would be the correct place for this but it's stuck on trying to validate my email which I have a few time and even tired to change the email but it still has the previous one. Em 22:41, 23 April 2019 (UTC)