This page is for community discussion. Official actions/requests should be made at Stewards' noticeboard
If you want:
Please remember to:
- 1 Creating a public and a private section into the same wiki
- 2 ways to check import logs
- 3 503 Backend fetch failed
- 4 Private page readable without restriction
- 5 IRC proposal: Create Feed channels in other languages besides Miraheze-feed
- 6 Having problems with the VisualEditor extension: "Error loading data from server: apierror-visualeditor-docserver-http: HTTP 404"
- 7 Database Errors with Images
- 8 Age requirements
- 9 How can I add a message in the header?
- 10 Fatal exception of type MWException
- 11 Request for additional interwiki
- 12 Trouble with Infoboxes
Creating a public and a private section into the same wiki[edit | edit source]
Hi all. I am new here but collaborated as a volunteer in it.wikipedia and other wikis before. I have sent a request for creating a new private wiki for an organization. Actually, I would prefer to have in the same wiki two sections: one public (readable/editable for anyone) and one private (readable/editable just for selected users), as it happens on Wikipedia, where some pages are viewable only by administrators. Is it possible to do something like this with Miraheze? Do I have to change something at this regard in my request? Or have I open two separate wikis? Thanks in advance. --Daniele Pugliesi (talk) 13:51, 4 April 2019 (UTC)
- You could take advantage of the fact that, by rule (see FAQ), even a private wiki's Main Page is public. You can give different classes of user different rights, but I don't know a way to give different pages different treatment. Other people may have better answers for you. 17:14 4-Apr-2019
- It's not possible to have a flexible system where you can have public and non-public pages on the same wiki. If you need to have public and private pages, you will need to use two wikis. Also, as far as I am aware Wikipedia does not have pages that are limited in visibility to admins only (excepting for special pages). -- Void Whispers 20:55, 4 April 2019 (UTC)
ways to check import logs[edit | edit source]
We set up a wiki in January 2019 and one of our admins has imported pages with history dating back to 2011 from Wikia, but I'm not sure who is doing it. I checked Special:Log/import but it's blank. Tycio (talk) 17:24, 9 April 2019 (UTC)
- If you're talking about animatedfeet, then see phab:T4166, it is being imported by maintenance script. -- Void Whispers 18:59, 9 April 2019 (UTC)
503 Backend fetch failed[edit | edit source]
I have been trying to use Special:Import using a 90MB file to import the recent versions of pages from our old wiki. When I did so today and a couple days ago I got the same error message:
- 503 Backend fetch failed
- Our servers are having issues at the moment.
- What can I do?
- If you're a wiki visitor or owner
- Try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, please report this on phabricator. We appoligize for the inconvenience. Our sysadmins should be attempting to solve the issue ASAP!
I am unable to report it on phabricator because it will not send me an activation e-mail. Does anyone know what causes this? I am settling for importing the recent version for now to cut down on file size, so the 250MB limit should not be the issue when it is merely a 90MB file.
- @Tycio: That is because a 90 MB file is too large to be imported on-wiki, and it must be imported by a sysadmin (so requested on Phabricator). Have you tried sending the activation email again? Reception123 (talk) (C) 05:39, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
I just did so successfully... and it turns out I found all the old e-mails I thought weren't getting sent. They were all in my 'Junk Mail'. I was confused as Hotmail recently split the Inbox into "Focused" and "Other" so I guess I was thinking of "Other" as my Junk Mail. I've added Miraheze to Safe Senders so this shouldn't happen anymore. No idea why HM assumed it was spam! Tycio (talk) 03:38, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
Private page readable without restriction[edit | edit source]
Dear all, greetings, I am new to Miraheze. I have one question: Is it possible to make my wiki readable for everyone visiting it but only editable by me? Thanks!
Kind regards Thanuttamo
- Please make a task on Phabricator LegoMaster (talk - contribs - logs - uploads - global contribs) 09:36, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- Actually, this is something that can be done by yourself. Just follow these steps:
- Using Special:ManageWikiPermissions, remove the edit right from the '*' and 'user' groups.
- Again using Special:ManageWikiPermissions, add the edit right to whatever group you would like to be able to edit. If it's just yourself, adding it to 'sysop' (administrator), would work fine.
- That's it. If you need any help getting this done, please let me know. -- Void Whispers 12:51, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
Thank you Void for your answer to my question on the Community Noticeb. regarding steps for my Wiki being not editable but readable by anyone. I followed your instructions but still other people than myself can edit any page. It seems there is just the option between a private Wiki (editorial + reading restrictions) and a public one (no editorial or reading restrictions). Is that the case? Or is a mixture possible, I would like the setting of: editorial restriction + no restriciton as to readability for anyone. Appreciate your assistance. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Thanuttamo (talk • contribs)
- If you follow Void's Step 1 above, general users will not be able to edit your wiki. 10:37 16-Apr-201
What I can see on the "Manage a wiki's permissions" page is a bar with this heading "Select existing group to edit". Bureaucrats I selected in this bar in contrats to the "*" which was default. There is another bar with the heading "Create a new user group", which I left empty as was it by default. After doing that I logged out and still was able in that mode, as a random visitor so to speak, to edit without restriction ... What would you suggest in this case? Further guidance is much appreciated.
IRC proposal: Create Feed channels in other languages besides Miraheze-feed[edit | edit source]
Hello, everybody. For a long time I have been thinking that Miraheze should offer feed channels in the user's language for example to create the Miraheze-feed-es or Miraheze-feed-fr channel for users of the Spanish and French languages. Would it be possible? Does anyone support this? Opinions? Ucronistaw (talk) 20:38, 13 April 2019 (UTC)
- @Ucronistaw: This is an interesting idea. I am not sure if it would work with the current setup, but you could file a feature request on Phabricator for it. Reception123 (talk) (C) 09:08, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
Having problems with the VisualEditor extension: "Error loading data from server: apierror-visualeditor-docserver-http: HTTP 404"[edit | edit source]
Hello, i have just enabled the VisualEditor extension in my wiki. The "edit" button turned into two buttons, one for source editing and one for the visual editor, as expected. Clicking the source editing button works normally, but clicking the button for visual editing displays the error message "Error loading data from server: apierror-visualeditor-docserver-http: HTTP 404. Would you like to retry?" Appear. Retries don't work, either. I also tried clearing my cache since i had just installed the extension, but the problem persists. What should i do? Is this problem known already? YuriNikolai (talk) 19:14, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Hey, sorry for the late response, but this is a known issue, caused by the fact that not all features needed for VisualEditor are enabled at the same time. One part may take ten to twenty minutes to become automatically enabled. So, it should be working now, but let us know if it isn't! -- Void Whispers 22:29, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
Database Errors with Images[edit | edit source]
I'm getting a database error when I upload an image and save, although the image does upload, as seen in the File List. I also get an error when I try to insert an image in the page. The insert is not sucessful. The errors are all like this: [fbcc4dfb3f1e218a0a7a6f6f] 2019-04-18 16:29:06: Fatal exception of type "Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError". Any ideas? Thanks.
- Hi, this is now fixed. We disabled "Approved Revs" temporarily then re enabled it which fixed the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience. Paladox (talk) 17:34, 18 April 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks! Gregfuller 20:24, 18 April 2019 (UTC)
Age requirements[edit | edit source]
I have some friends who are under 13 and wants to contribute to the wiki. They are 11-ish years old. Is there actually an age requirement, like what Wikia. Inc has? The ToU did not say the age requirement. Thank you.
I actually want to use this topic to start a community discussion which might be moved to the Requests for comment page once the discussion has reached a number of signatures on it. Please state your comments below about whether the Site should have age requirements.
- Hello, we doin't allow under 13s and it's not negotiable under EU law. Please see https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Privacy_Policy#8._Children Paladox (talk) 23:11, 19 April 2019 (UTC)
How can I add a message in the header?[edit | edit source]
- Poser and Daz Free Resources has the following message in all its web: "Rest in peace, Syltermermaid. You gave us so much."
- Crappy Games Wiki also has a message: "Fix for Random Pages feature implemented".
- @PaladinDeGigantas: Be sure to also make any change to Sitenotice_id so that users are shown the site notice (once)! 16:55 20-Apr-2019
- But it's a good place for alerts, as every user sees it, once only, when used properly. 11:00 22-Apr-2019
Fatal exception of type MWException[edit | edit source]
I was attempting to setup different user groups and when I saved the first one the site went to saying '[263fa6584ba45c216e0070cc] 2019-04-23 22:35:52: Fatal exception of type MWException." The first half changes when I refresh the page. Not sure what I did wrong. I was trying to use Phabricator as I believe that would be the correct place for this but it's stuck on trying to validate my email which I have a few time and even tired to change the email but it still has the previous one. Em 22:41, 23 April 2019 (UTC)
- Hi, issue is resolved now. It was caused because you enabled "autopromotion" but didn't add any criteria to be met. This has been fixed in the code to prevent it happening again in the future. John (talk) 23:43, 23 April 2019 (UTC)
Request for additional interwiki[edit | edit source]
Trouble with Infoboxes[edit | edit source]
Hello, I have imported Infoboxes onto my wiki, but I am having trouble getting the text in my infoboxes to actually be in the infobox: https://moonliqhtworlds.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:InfoboxCountry. Also, are there any good tutorials for learning MediaWiki ?