Community noticeboard

From Meta
Revision as of 18:46, 21 April 2021 by CRAB-2 (talk | contribs) (→‎Question: Reply)
OOjs UI icon userGroup-ltr.svgCommunity noticeboard
This noticeboard is community discussions, generally global in nature or which relate to specific wikis or users. For requests that require Steward or Global Sysop intervention, please see the Stewards' noticeboard. If in doubt, please try here first, and you will be directed there if the matter requires a Steward. For discussion pertaining to Meta only, please visit the Meta Community portal.

On Community noticeboard, you can:

  • Start a community discussion, generally global in nature or which relates to specific wiki(s).
  • Solicit volunteers' assistance to help maintain or write content for your wiki
  • Ask questions with both the global community and system administrators about either Miraheze or some technical aspect of MediaWiki on your wiki
  • Request changes to your wiki's local interwiki table, including change(s) to locally override one or more of the global interwiki table (located on Meta) prefix configurations

If you would like to request...


To add your request, type in a concise title in the box below, then click "Add Topic".

Archives of Community noticeboard [e]   




Help-me

Hello Goodnight.

I created a theme for mobile, for the skin (MinervaNeue) specifically, therefore, when placing the skin in MediaWiki: Minerva.css, or even MediaWiki: Mobile.css, the skin does not appear. What should I do to make her appear. UTC-3 Xaosk (talk) 02:55, 1 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Please note I have procedurally moved this discussion from stewards' noticeboard to community noticeboard, where it is now in scope. Please note that questions regarding building your wiki should be asked at community noticeboard, whereas technical requests outside of the ability of local bureaucrats, or where local bureaucrats are not active on a given wiki, should be asked at stewards' noticeboard. Confirmed or likely bug reports or requests to run a maintenance script or perform some other back-end (i.e., database) change are asked on Phabricator. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 13:36, 1 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Xaosk It's probably not working due to phab:T6362. A workaround you could do is use Gadgets to create a CSS gadget that just contains:
@import url(/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Mobile.css&action=raw&ctype=text/css);
Then add the following to your MediaWiki:Gadgets-definition (the example uses MediaWiki:Gadget-TempMobileCssFix.css as the name of the gadget):
* TempMobileCssFix[ResourceLoader|default|hidden|targets=mobile]|TempMobileCssFix.css K599 (talk) 00:19, 5 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
It didn't work, I have this extension installed Xaosk (talk) 22:32, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Request for Reviewers user group on FAMEPedia

Hi, Miraheze Community, I humbly request that the Reviewers user group be made available in en.famepedia.org Special:ManageWiki/permissions. Thanks. Ugochimobi (talk) 08:36, 2 April 2021 (UTC) Hey! @Ugochimobi: Ask the Bureaucrat of FAMEpedia to create this permission by this link https://en.famepedia.org/wiki/Special:ManageWiki/permissions Shaunak Chakraborty (talk)[reply]

Please Shaunak Chakraborty which extention can be used to Provide the Reviewer user group?? Ugochimobi (talk) 11:27, 2 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks for the suggestion Shaunak Chakraborty Ugochimobi (talk) 08:47, 2 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
I think they were asking a question. Turtle84375 (talk) 18:57, 2 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Yes please, What extension can i use to provide the Reviewers user group on the wiki?? Ugochimobi (talk) 19:25, 2 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi The extension for which you're looking is PageTriage (also referred to as the Page Curation Toolbar on English Wikipedia) FlaggedRevs, I believe. It can be enabled in Special:ManageWiki/extensions on your wiki. Alternatively, you may prefer the simpler ApprovedRevs extension. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 20:09, 2 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Sincere thanks @Dmehus Ugochimobi (talk) 20:29, 2 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi, Yes check.svg no problem. Dmehus (talk) 20:30, 2 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Hi @Dmehus, Let me quickly notify you that I have been able to create the Reviewers Usergroup.
Thanks very much! Ugochimobi (talk) 08:13, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Request for Interwiki table configuration

Hi Community, Please I hereby request that 1. 'fd:' links to https://famedata.org, 2. 'f:' links to https://en.famepedia.org. on the inter-wiki table
Thanks.
Cc: @Dmehus
 Ugochimobi (talk) 23:32, 5 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Ugochimobi Do you require either of the forward or transclude flags for either or no? (These can always be changed later.) Also, do you want me to add f on Famepedia as well, or just add fd on Famepedia and f on Famedata? Dmehus (talk) 23:37, 5 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Its like this Dmehus, 'f' for famepedia and 'fd' for famedata since we already have 'd' for wikidata. Don't know if we can override that. Ugochimobi (talk) 23:48, 5 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
You can definitely use d for Famedata as a local override. My question, though, is do you want both prefixes on both your wikis, or just the prefix for the one wiki on the other wiki and the prefix for the other wiki on the one wiki? Hope that clarifies. Dmehus (talk) 23:54, 5 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
yes both prefixes on both wikis please, and you can use 'd' for famedata locally. Thanks. Ugochimobi (talk) 23:57, 5 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi Understood. Both prefixes on both wikis have been Yes check.svg added now. Dmehus (talk) 00:07, 6 April 2021 (UTC)
[reply]

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── Okay @Dmehus, it hasn't reflected though but can this interwiki especially 'f' be global? Ugochimobi (talk) 00:30, 6 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Ugochimobi In keeping with Miraheze's commitment to have as much local control and discretion on each wiki, interwiki prefixes are added locally to each wiki's interwiki table. Thus, the changes are are already effected on Famepedia's interwiki table and Famedata's interwiki table. The global interwiki table is held on Meta Wiki at Special:Interwiki and is mainly used for interwiki prefixes used by many wikis or because they share a common pan-Miraheze purpose. As it would become quite bloated rather quickly, we instead created MirahezeMagic pseudo-interwiki prefixes, which are formatted in the format of [[mh:subdomain:page name|optional displayed text]]. They even work in log actions now, thanks to Universal Omega's recent enhancements! The only things you cannot do is transclude them or use them for locally assigning imported edits, but that's why we can add interwiki prefixes to your wiki. Dmehus (talk) 00:42, 6 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks man! Ugochimobi (talk) 00:49, 6 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi No problem at all. You may be interested to know that you can manage interwiki prefixes on your locally, if you wish. To do this, all you need to do is hold a local election on each wiki where requesting interwiki-admin and, provided you meet the global policy requirements for local interwiki administrators, can then request Stewards assess your local election after at least 5-7 calendar days. This is generally only required, though, if you expect to regularly add local interwiki or interlanguage prefixes to your wiki(s), but it is nonetheless an option available to you. Dmehus (talk) 00:56, 6 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Many thanks Dmehus Ugochimobi (talk) 09:01, 6 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Hi @Dmehus, Could you please guide me in this regards?? Ugochimobi (talk) 09:33, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi Generally speaking, it just involves you creating either a special election page somewhere on your wiki or, if you have a specific permissions requests page, adding your request for local interwiki-admin to that page. Unless your wiki has rules defining how long permissions requests or elections should remain open, after at least 5-7 calendar days, you can then post a note on stewards' noticeboard requesting a Steward assess your local election. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:19, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Oh, @Dmehus you mean I should request local interwiki-admin permission on my local Request for permission page and then after 5-7 calendar days i can come request a steward to assess my request. For example in my Administrators' Noticeboard page??? Ugochimobi (talk) 14:58, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Yeah, that's right, principally because it's a local user group. It's only restricted to Stewards to grant for mainly security and technical reasons. The page you linked would be fine, yeah. Dmehus (talk) 15:01, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Okay Thanks @Dmehus I'll do just that Ugochimobi (talk) 15:11, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Okay @Dmehus I'll do just that. Ugochimobi (talk) 15:20, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Hi @Dmehus: Its exactly Six (6) days that i place a request for interwiki admin in my wiki at the A N
I would love you to help check out and give grant. Thanks @Dmehus Ugochimobi (talk) 13:02, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi, though local election assessment requests should be requested at stewards' noticeboard in the future, it's not a problem that it was here in this case—just more of a point for the future. Anyway, I've now Yes check.svg closed your local permissions request for interwiki-admin as a successful election by acclamation. Dmehus (talk) 16:28, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks @Dmehus:
No problems at all, furtherly I'd go to stewards' noticeboard.
Thanks once again. Ugochimobi (talk) 16:40, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

How do I enable Navigation Popups or Popups?

Can I know If its possible to enable navigation popups?? or to have it? Ugochimobi (talk) 10:19, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

@Ugochimobi: You can enable the Popups extension by going to Special:ManageWiki/extensions on your wiki. Details are available here. :-) User:R4356th/Signature 10:25, 7 April 2021 (UTC)
Okay @R4356th Thanks. Let me see Ugochimobi (talk) 11:07, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi Since you also asked about Navigation Popups, the easiest way to enable this (for yourself) is to follow these instructions. If you want to install it as a gadget on your wiki for other users, it is not too difficult, but generally just involves importing several files and listing the gadget file at MediaWiki:Gadgets-definition on your wiki. Instructions for this should also be on that same page I linked. Note that the Navigation Popups gadget conflicts with the Reference Previews extension. That's not to say you cannot have both installed on your wiki, but it just means that a user cannot have both the Reference Previews extension and Navigation Popups gadget enabled in their preferences. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:05, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus I have actually installed It as a gadget on my wiki, and Yeah i actually followed the listed instructions here

It was indeed interesting Ugochimobi (talk) 14:17, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Interwiki P request for memes.miraheze.org

I request that the interwiki prefix of mp to be added/edited to link to memes.miraheze.org. Thank you, WikiJS talk 17:16, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

WikiJS Though there is a limited use case adding an interwiki prefix for the subject wiki to the subject wiki's local interwiki table, this is Yes check.svg done without the forward or transclude flags. If you are wanting to link to Memepedia from other Miraheze wikis, you can, of course, always use [[mh:memes:page name|optional displayed text]] in both edits and log actions. Dmehus (talk) 17:37, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@WikiJS: I can see that Dmehus has already handled this request for you, which is great but I was just wondering if you were requesting the prefix to be added to Meta's interwiki table (which is also the global one). User:R4356th/Signature 17:47, 7 April 2021 (UTC)
I was talking about my local interwiki table, not the global one, as I don't see a reason for it to be stored globally. WikiJS talk 18:26, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks for clarifying. I was just very confused. User:R4356th/Signature 13:22, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
You're welcome. WikiJS talk 18:36, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Redirection Issue

I have a button that links to a page on my wiki, but whenever I click on it, it just shows a "cannot load" page. Is there any fix for this? Sorry for the crappy quality, I had to convert the video to a gif.

Issue
 WikiJS talk 18:39, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
WikiJS Thank you for reporting this issue. We do prefer screenshots for these things be uploaded to Miraheze Commons, generally with a specific filename (including a date and timestamp in the file name is usually ideal). In any event, we can perform that housekeeping and migration later. Regarding your issue, I'm not sure I see the issue in the screenshot. Can you perhaps clarify what you mean and maybe upload a new version of that screenshot to File:Issue.gif circling or otherwise highlighting the problem? Dmehus (talk) 18:51, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
WikiJS Nevermind. I see that File:Issue.gif is an animated GIF. I've now Yes check.svg fixed the issue for you. The issue was your Template:Main Page, imported from MediaWiki.org, still had the www prefix. Dmehus (talk) 18:56, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Lost the password reset from Simple Electronics Wiki

On simpleelectronics.miraheze.org I've removed all permissions from anonymous (*) users. That has also lost the permission to use Special:PasswordReset and I can't find out how to re-enable it. Please advise. Rob Kam (talk) 23:25, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Rob Kam While I'm not sure which user right controls access to Special:PasswordReset, if I had to guess, I'd probably try editmyoptions first. Try re-adding that to the * group. If that doesn't work, try re-adding some of the other permissions from the default permissions—namely viewmyprivateinfo and editmyprivateinfo. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 23:28, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Rob Kam Looks like my theory was correct, as this MediaWiki.org documentation page indeed confirms that editmyprivateinfo controls access to Special:PasswordReset. Dmehus (talk) 23:34, 7 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks that has sorted the issue out. Rob Kam (talk) 00:28, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Okay, Yes check.svg that's great. Thanks for the update. Dmehus (talk) 00:30, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

VisualEditor and permission restricting

I manage symbian, and to prevent spam, I have configured it so that only manually approved users can edit the wiki, by removing all edit rights from all user groups except bureaucrat and sysop, and creating a new "approved" group that has edit rights. However, doing this causes VisualEditor to complain that "You're not allowed to edit this wiki through the API" for users in the "approved" group. I have found this issue on Wikimedia Phabricator which seems to be what I'm encountering here. I don't fully understand the discussion in the thread there, but it seems that avoiding this problem requires configuration changes that requires backend access. Is it possible (within what's permitted in the Miraheze infrastructure) to keep the permission restrictions and use VisualEditor at the same time? --Jack980517 (talk) 04:58, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Never mind, I should have read it more closely. This comment says I just need to grant the "writeapi" right to the "approved" user group. Did just that and now it's working. --Jack980517 (talk) 05:08, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Nice Yes check.svg Done Ugochimobi (talk) 09:31, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Jack980517 While I'm not completely certain if one can edit on a wiki via the API with only the writeapi user right or if they'd also need the edit user right (making writeapi a contingent user right), I suspect the latter may in fact be the case. C.Syde65 has done fairly extensive research into MediaWiki user rights and contingent user rights, so may be able to provide that answer. In any case, if your wiki uses the StructuredDiscussions, the Flow talk page manager system user requires that user right as part of the * user group, ostensibly because it is a system user rather a regular, registered user account. It may work by adding the writeapi user right to the flow-bot user group instead, but I just haven't tested that. In any case, if the latter is indeed the case, that would mean writeapi is essentially useless without the edit user right, so would be no harm in leaving as part of the * to prevent unintended consequences. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:25, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: I don't use StructuredDiscussions, and I did already have edit rights granted to the "approved" group. I just didn't expect that the "writeapi" right is necessary, as the description is vague, and I didn't think visual editing falls under API use (the user is not directly using the API after all). This is a weird situation that I hope upstream (MediaWiki) can get rid of. --Jack980517 (talk) 14:29, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Jack980517 Ah, okay, sounds good. Yeah, looks like you resolved it in a great way. I just thought that additional might might be helpful. In any case, yeah, hopefully, the MediaWiki.org development team can figure out a solution. Dmehus (talk) 14:41, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Assistance

I'm currently procedurally creating a bot for my wiki, so all I need is assistance as much as could get from here. So please my first question is do I have shell access on my wiki? FAMEPedia is the wiki Ugochimobi (talk) 10:19, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

@Dmehus, @R4356th, @Universal Omega, @RhinosF1 please. Ugochimobi (talk) 11:03, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Ugochimobi: Hi. We do not allow shell access for anyone other than System administrators on Miraheze. However, we do have ManageWiki, which allows users to edit settings, extensions, permissions and namespaces on their wiki without needing shell access. Our software and settings are also open source. In addition to ManageWiki, if there is something that is not on there that you need (for example another setting, or to a run a maintenance script), you can request it here. Reception123 (talk) (C) 11:05, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Can I request that a directory is uploaded to my wiki server? Ugochimobi (talk) 11:32, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
That is not possible I'm afraid, there are no single wiki servers since we are a wiki farm. What exactly would you like to do? Reception123 (talk) (C) 12:02, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
While Miraheze does not permit anyone other than Site Reliability Engineering team members to have shell access to the wiki farm's servers for the reasons Reception123 articulated, we do have the MirahezeBots project, an independently-run project authorized to the use the Miraheze name that aims to provide the community hosting of bots (mainly IRC currently, but wiki bots as well) and other tools. Other than their wiki, all of their servers are provided by a separate hosting provider, Fosshost. Their hosting policy is still in draft form and Access Policy may still need some refinements, but potentially the MirahezeBots project would be a great provider to host your wiki bot. I can't provide any timelines on when the community bot hosting will be up running, but RhinosF1 would be the best one to contact about that—perhaps on his MirahezeBots user talk page. Dmehus (talk) 13:50, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
I'd be happy to review a bot for our hosting. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (on) 13:52, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
So you suggest I host the bot on MirahezeBots? Ugochimobi (talk) 14:15, 8 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
We would be able to host it for you. Everything is managed in puppet if you give us a link to the source code and what we need to do to set it up.
You'll then need to tell us how often to run it. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (on) 09:43, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Okay RhinosF1 Ugochimobi (talk) 20:04, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Questions

Hi Community, Please how do I enable this reply stuff on my en.famepedia.org wiki? I mean this Discussion tools that has reply at the end of any discussion Ugochimobi (talk) 10:05, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

You can enable Discussion Tools onto the wiki in Special:ManageWiki/Extensions. WikiJS talk 12:21, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks man Ugochimobi (talk) 14:31, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Please @WikiJS: what is the extension name? Ugochimobi (talk) 15:00, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi It should be listed under DiscussionTools. Dmehus (talk) 15:02, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Its called DiscussionTools but I can't find that in my extensions... Ugochimobi (talk) 15:12, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Or I can't Enable it
Its actually not highlighted for me to enable Ugochimobi (talk) 15:14, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Try looking in additional settings WikiJS talk 15:18, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
It only requires Linter and VisualEditor which is already turned on Ugochimobi (talk) 15:30, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
hm, that's all I did to get it working for my wiki. Maybe there is a 'magic word' that activates it. WikiJS talk 15:33, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi Yeah, at least in non-talk namespaces, you need to add the NEWSECTIONLINK magic word to activate the DiscussionTools on the given page(s). You could add this to a template, then add the template to such pages, of course. And, yes, the Linter and VisualEditor extensions are prerequisites for the DiscussionTools extension. Dmehus (talk) 16:01, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Oh Lemme try it and give you a feedback ra @Dmehus: Ugochimobi (talk) 16:23, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
It did't work @Dmehus 😣 Can't you enable it for me over there? Ugochimobi (talk) 16:36, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: It worked Immediately I added the magic word to one page, I went back to my extensions and saw that I can now enable it Ugochimobi (talk) 16:46, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Hrm, strange. You shouldn't need to have a magic word on a page in order to enable the extension. You should only need to add the magic word after enabling. Oh well, at least you got it resolved. :) Dmehus (talk) 22:45, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Yeah!! ;) Ugochimobi (talk) 14:46, 12 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

What is the cause of this error when I try going on special pages?

on memes.miraheze.org, the special pages list is broken, and I get this error:

Error 2021-04-09 11.23.56 AM EST.png

What is the cause of this? WikiJS talk 15:29, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

@WikiJS: Hi. Could you please see this task and reply to my question? Thanks! Reception123 (talk) (C) 17:39, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Seems like it's been created before this question, which I had no knowledge that that was on-going. I replied btw. WikiJS talk 18:33, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Question about Importing

I offered to help a Wikia to move its content from fandom to Miraheze and I have the XML ready but I found out a few pages have already been manually moved there, since the wiki was created in January and I am starting to help just now (I manually moved each image in the last few days), so there are basically some pages which are both on Miraheze and in the XML. I read that this causes problems with importing, so how do I solve this? And even if this can be solved, the file is 6904 KB, is it small enough to be uploaded by myself or should I ask in Phabricator? Thanks in advance! Grand Albert (talk) 15:52, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

You can put the XML file into Special:Import, and it should import the page or pages if it can. I believe that there are no hard limits for XML files, but for other media, you will need to have below 250 MB. Please correct me if I'm wrong. WikiJS talk 15:56, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
I don't know if this problem effects only my wiki. When importing larger files, an error message can occur after some time. I hit "retry" until the error message vanished, then it seemed that all pages of the xml-files have been importes. LilyLilyu - smile.svg (Lilypond Wiki · talk to me · little garden · my wiki of everything) 16:45, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
I understand and thank you both for the answers, but I still need to know if having already some pages on the wikia will interfere with importing the xml. Grand Albert (talk) 20:52, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Also, what should I exactly put as Interwiki Prefix? Thanks. Grand Albert (talk) 14:39, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Grand Albert The interwiki prefix is very import when importing, as it defines the source wiki. If you are importing pages from English Wikipedia, for example, you would use wikipedia or w. If you are importing from Wikidata, you would use d. You can check the interwiki prefix at Special:Interwiki on your wiki, including any local overrides that may have been set (though I doubt that is the case in this case). Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:48, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Help

How do I make my wiki editable by users that aren't logged in (IP address)? Cuz currently It's pages cannot be edit by an IP user Ugochimobi (talk) 17:02, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

@Ugochimobi: You can change that via Special:ManageWiki/permissions by assigning the "edit" right to *. Reception123 (talk) (C) 17:40, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks 🤸🏾‍♂️🤸🏾‍♂️ Ugochimobi (talk) 17:42, 9 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

i imported css from wikipedia but the wiki recognizes it as a wiki page not a css page

As the title says.

https://spicys.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:Routemap/styles.css

I tried deleting and creating it again though

ZeroGamesKing (talk) 14:30, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

P.S theres also a lot of errors, I need help ZeroGamesKing (talk) 14:33, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

ZeroGamesKing This could be from a couple things. If you check Template:Routemap/styles.css on your wiki, can you go into the "Page Information" and see if the content model is "wikitext" or "CSS/JS". If the former, you will need to edit the content model of the page to "CSS/JS". Alternatively, your wiki may need the TemplateStyles extension, which you can enable at Special:ManageWiki/extensions. Regarding your post-script about script errors, please consider joining us on IRC in #miraheze connect or #miraheze-offtopic connect or on Discord, where we have many volunteers who can assist you in real-time. Thank you. Dmehus (talk) 14:51, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Look-out

Hi Community and @Dmehus:, Please help me look out on my wiki Main Page and rate it🙇🏾‍♂️🙇🏾‍♀️ Please you can also give me a feedback probaly here or If you wanna make it private on my email (from my userpage) or your choice. Ugochimobi (talk) 15:01, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

FAMEpedia, or another wiki? WikiJS talk 12:17, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
[FAMEPedia] @WikiJS: Ugochimobi (talk) 08:33, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Gazateer request

My all things Asia wiki needs to be added to the gazateer for more exposure. Thnx. I messaged the person who created the wiki also. LouieeMiki (talk) 15:58, 10 April 2021 (UTC) LouieeMiki (talk) 15:58, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

@LouieeMiki: There is no editing restriction on the Gazetteer of wikis page. This is a wiki so you can edit this page yourself with your wiki information, it is not necessary to ask for permission. DeeM28 (talk) 17:58, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
What DeeM28 said above + I have fixed the link for you. User:R4356th/Signature 18:05, 10 April 2021 (UTC)

Trust and Safety Group - Relisted Request

Good evening all,

This is a post to advertise a new volunteering position directly with Miraheze Limited, the company behind Miraheze. Following feedback from the Site Reliability Engineering team regarding responsibilities and expectations around Terms of Use/user safeguarding, we voted in our last meeting to form a new, entirely separate team to deal with these extreme matters. Today I can announce that following lengthy internal discussion, we are recruiting volunteers to support our newly formed Trust and Safety team. Role descriptor is available here for the new Trust and Safety Responder role. To be considered by the Board of Directors for the role, please send the application form to board(at)miraheze.org before 23:59 (UTC) on Sunday, April 18th, 2021. Any questions please contact me via Discord or email. This is relisted due to a lack of interest during the first round. Thank you on behalf of Miraheze Limited, Owen (talk) 17:46, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

I am curious about the scope of application of this new group that will enforce the Terms of Use of Miraheze. How will it compare to the community positions such as Stewards? Which are the cases that would be referred to this group and not to Stewards? What will the criteria be for selecting users that will be part of this group? What would happen if a user that is not trusted by the community applied for the group, would the user's current standing in the community be a factor that the Board of Directors will take in account when selecting this user? DeeM28 (talk) 17:56, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Stewards are a community-elected and community governed position that does not have the responsibility for acting on Miraheze Limited's behalf in running the service. This new group would take away previously allocated responsibilities to the Site Reliability Engineering team in enforcing our Terms of Use, which governs the legal relationship Miraheze Limited has with its users. Cases that would be referred to this group, as currently happens with SRE, are things involving users using our services for illegal activity, abusing our resources in terms of breaching platform security/data privacy, and users who are acting against the Terms of Use which they agreed to when joining - these issues have never been reported to Stewards so nothing is changing in this regard. Users from within the community will be selected based on numerous qualities - position and standing in the community is one but given the sensitive nature of the information they may have access to, the information they may deal with, and the information the company may provide to them, they will be held to the highest standard possible by the company. As any actions would have a direct impact on the trust and confidence of the company, it would be unlikely a candidate who has lost the faith of the community would be considered as it would be illegitimate for us to hold them in such a position where their main priority would be working with and engaging with the community on important and sensitive matters. Owen (talk) 21:21, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Thank you for your detailed reply, Owen. I am pleased to hear that a candidate's standing in the community is part of your consideration of the candidates for this group. DeeM28 (talk) 12:29, 11 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Is there a variable for the number of edits?

Hi, I found the variable {{NUMBEROFWIKIS}} which is the number of all wikis hosted on Miraheze. Is there a similar variable for the number of global edits of a user? LilyLilyu - smile.svg (Lilypond Wiki · talk to me · little garden · my wiki of everything) 21:10, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Lily Yeah, that's one of them, you can also use {{NUMBEROFWIKISBYEXTENSION:extension_dbname}}, as another. There are also a few others, such as {{NUMBEROFWIKISINCATEGORY:category_name}} and {{NUMBEROFWIKISINLANGUAGE:langcode}}. To my knowledge, there is no magic word for the number of global edits per user, but that would be a potentially useful magic word for sure. Dmehus (talk) 21:27, 10 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: Thank you for your reply. It should be possible for developers to create such a magic word because Special:CentralAuth shows this number, so the information must be somewhere in the system, LilyLilyu - smile.svg (Lilypond Wiki · talk to me · little garden · my wiki of everything) 10:55, 12 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Lily Yeah, Universal Omega is planning on writing a new parser function extension, I believe, that would add various magic words that aren't Miraheze specific, so that is certainly a magic word that would be useful on Miraheze, Wikimedia, or other wikis/wiki farms that installed it. I don't have a timeline on when that extension might be developed, though. Dmehus (talk) 14:18, 12 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: Thank you, I would appreciate that very much and am looking forward to that feature, LilyLilyu - smile.svg (Lilypond Wiki · talk to me · little garden · my wiki of everything) 07:42, 13 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Twinkle Error

Hi Community, I recenyly installed Twinkle on my wiki, but i always get this Protecting page: The tag "twinkle" is not allowed to be manually applied. (badtags) Error when i try to use it.... Please help. Ugochimobi (talk) 12:43, 12 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

This has been sorted out! Thanks Ugochimobi (talk) 18:41, 14 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Issue after importing

After importing a template from the english Wikipedia, all infoboxes in my wiki seem to have been affected. The template in question was "Template:Infobox monarchy". It seems there is some kind of conflict after changes in the "Module:Infobox". Any help is appreciated. IvanCastroTheFool (talk) 17:27, 13 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

@IvanCastroTheFool: a link to your wiki would it make easier to help you LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 09:45, 14 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Sorry for the delay. http://almanachdebauswic.miraheze.org. IvanCastroTheFool (talk) 17:22, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Question for Content Policy

What does miraheze mean by incitement to violence? Sirlance3000 (talk) 17:50, 13 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Sorry never mined I looked it up, incitement means to encourage so miraheze says not to encourage violence which makes prefect sense. Sirlance3000 (talk) 17:57, 13 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

How to put a youtube video?

I add youtube extension but nothing changed in the editor.
I'm unable to understand what do the the associated page speaks about: https://github.com/miraheze/YouTube
And I can't do this kind of things : https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmbedVideo
 Emmanuel (talk) 12:09, 14 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Youtube extension does not change anything in the editor, it adds a tag to the wiki. You can embed a youtube video in a page using <youtube>xxxx</youtube>. I do not use EmbedVideo I guess it is the same as the youtube extension. I have tested the extension on your test page (OMG I really do hate those captchas with the ugly pics), embedvideo is not activated on your wiki, LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 20:36, 14 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Oh Thank you so much Lily ! lol
On my Wiki I can put an external link without captcha. Here it's the same, except with visualeditor. I can't put such a link here whih it because a bug captcha prevents me.
Emmanuel (talk) 23:17, 14 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Emmanuel: You have admin rights on your wiki. Did you try to enter an external link with a user account without special rights? Happy editing, greetings, LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 03:06, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
As you gave me the idea I juste tested : There's well a captcha :) As I créated a test user, I wanted to test the rights changing for it but I didn't found. I will ask it in a better place, bellow.
What's strang is that, with wiki editor, here I can put a link without captcha...
I Just undersand : It beacause I puted it as text (question below)
Emmanuel (talk) 11:12, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

How to delete history and contribution lines ?

Tests created useless lines...
 Emmanuel (talk) 12:14, 14 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Emmanuel Can you link to a couple example pages of what you mean? If it's what I think you mean, I assume you mean purging prior test revisions from the contribution and page histories. If that's the case, there is a deleteOldRevisions.php maintenance script that you can request Site Reliability Engineering run via a Phabricator ticket. Note that if there are other contributors to the page whose revisions are requested for purging, depending on the license the content is licensed, you may need their consent to the purging, to ensure CreativeCommons or other copyright licensing compliance. If that's not the case, and you merely want to hide the edit summaries or other aspects of contributions to your wikis, you can use revision deletion by adjusting the visibility of certain revisions on your wiki. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 15:45, 14 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Exemples :
History : https://absolu.miraheze.org/w/index.php?title=Accueil&action=history
Contributions : https://absolu.miraheze.org/wiki/Sp%C3%A9cial:Contributions/Emmanuel
I created a tichet in Phabricator to ask deleteOldRevisions.php Thanck tou very mutch

How can we change a user rights?

If someone do a good job and whants to do more, for exemple... Emmanuel (talk) 11:38, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

@Emmanuel: You can change a user right by going to the special page Special:UserRights in your local wiki, thereafter you can insert the username of the user you want to change the right. Ugochimobi (talk) 12:13, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Wouaw Great Merci :) Emmanuel (talk) 12:33, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

How can we hide a page or to forbidden its modification except for certain kinds of users?

Emmanuel (talk) 17:46, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Emmanuel Do you mean to restrict a page from editing, or from viewing? If the former, you can protect the page at a certain protection/restriction level (i.e., sysop or autoconfirmed, or other restriction levels you wish to request for your wiki on Phabricator). If the latter, unfortunately, that is not possible unless you make your entire wiki private, and whitelist only certain pages to which you want non-members and non-administrators to view. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 17:54, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ah .. Thank you ....
But then, what is the point of having a plubic wiki if we can do better (possibility of choosing what is public and what is private) with a private wiki? I guess there must be one or all our mediawikis would be private ... Is it complicated to trun from public to private and vice versa? Emmanuel (talk) 22:42, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Not at all, in Special:ManageWiki/core, you can switch from public to private, and/or private to public. Hope this helps. WikiJS talk 12:29, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Great, thank you. On the other hand I do not manage to set the rights by page. They are all invisible except the home. And it stays that way even when I allow the modification to all users for a page. In addition, can we set the right for all users (registered or not) to create pages? Emmanuel (talk) 18:46, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
I don't know what you mean when you say "they are all invisible except the home;" however, you can disallow all users from creating pages. Simply remove the createpage and, optionally, createtalk user right(s) from the * user group. You would then add it to, say, sysop and autoconfirmed. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 18:49, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Thank you for this informations. For example this page can't be displayed for all users or registred users as I tested and I don't know how to put it in the whit liste : https://absolu.miraheze.org/wiki/Test Emmanuel (talk) 19:10, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Emmanuel Ah, thanks for the clarification. You can whitelist pages on private wikis in the $wmgWhitelistRead variable of Special:ManageWiki/settings. I've Yes check.svg done this for you for the requested test page. Can you please try going in to that special page in ManageWiki and removing it from the whitelist? Basically, you just start typing the page name, and it should show up, when you're whitelisting a page. Dmehus (talk) 19:21, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
I managed to erase it from the whitelist. Very good test, thank you. It took a long time not to be visible afterwards, but I guess that's normal. I can't put it back in the whitelist though. Unless it's even longer ... Emmanuel (talk) 19:44, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Hrm, if it took awhile not to be visible, that's possibly a Varnish cache issue and would be expected. It should only be a few hours, at most, though. Hrm, you can't put back in the whitelist? Let me try. Dmehus (talk) 19:49, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Oh, the page came back to public but I still not see it in white liste. Maybe it will be longer again. Emmanuel (talk) 19:52, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
It looks like you've re-whitelisted it, as I do see "test" listed there. So, it's likely a local cache issue for you only, if you're not seeing it there. Dmehus (talk) 19:55, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Actually I can't see the white list no more. the space you put Test in became gray and with moving white diagonals. I will try to empty my navigator cash. Emmanuel (talk) 20:01, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Nothing changed... More than this the search engin is forbiden for unregitrated user, as I tesed the page création for unregistrated users... Could you help me again? :) Emmanuel (talk) 20:03, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
That's as designed. Private wikis will not be indexed or searchable by search engines, since search engines are essentially non-registered users. Dmehus (talk) 20:16, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Even white pages are then hiden from seach, more than sad... Other question : how can an unregistrated user could then creat a page? I gess I will turn the wiki back to plubic and loos the obviously usefull whiteliste function.. And creat a second Wiki juste for privat work pages... If Mirahesez allow it... Emmanuel (talk) 20:35, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Well, I'm not sure why you'd want unregistered users to be able to edit on a private wiki, so this is really working as designed. Search engines should still be able to index whitelisted pages, though, unless your namespace indexation default for that namespace is set to disallow. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 20:38, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Private/public is juste a technique question. I would juste like to be able to hide somes pages from a wiki public for all the rest. Search engines are able to index whitelisted pages, you say, but an unregistrated user can't use the engine, as I tested and told uper. I don't unerstand... I tested "$wgNamespacesToBeSearchedDefault" for "User" namespace but I don't works. Yes each of your andwers helps me. Emmanuel (talk) 21:00, 16 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Could you continue to help me Dmehus? Emmanuel (talk) 17:24, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Important!

Hi.... I don't know if FAMEData is connected to FAMEPedia as a data respository.... Please can I have that
And Is it possible for a FAMEData item to be automatically created once a FAMEPedia article is created?? How can I do these please??. Ugochimobi (talk) 18:31, 15 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

I figured out the problem for why the Special:ReplaceText wasn't working on the crappygameswiki

Well, since I figured out why $wgCompressRevisions was set to true when I was trying to access the Replace Text page, could the $wgCompressRevisions be turned off? I would do this myself, but I found out it's been restricted to System AdministratorsDarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 10:58, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

DarkMatterMan4500 Yes, that's the reason, and unfortunately, no, it is unlikely that can be changed based on my conversations with Reception123. You can try talking to him about it, as he would be the one to make the final call on this, but this is one of the disadvantages to large database size wikis, unfortunately. Crappy Games Wiki is not the only large wiki that cannot use the ReplaceText extension; All The Tropes, for example, would be in the same boat as your wiki. I believe there is a Mass Edit Regex extension that can be used instead, however. Dmehus (talk) 14:02, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Dmehus Okay then. DarkMatterMan4500 (talk) (contribs) 14:03, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Logo not working

Hello, I'm back, and This wiki's logo is not working. I shrunk the image but the file will not work, and I tried EVERYTHING. Reloading cache, adding purge extension, use a different file name, delete the file, and nothing's working. Can anyone help me? InspecterAbdel (talk) 17:57, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

InspecterAbdel Logo sizes should be 135x135px. Please try resizing, resaving, and reuploading. Note that logo changes are not instantaneous and can take up to 24 hours to refresh. This is a Varnish cache issue. Dmehus (talk) 18:14, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Dmehus, Ok, and I can't find the MediaViewer extension. How do I enable it? InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:38, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
InspecterAbdel It looks like Special:ManageWiki/extensions was recently redesigned, and I'm not sure how I feel about the tabs, as I do find that an alphabetical list was quicker to find the extension. At any rate, it should be the Multimedia Viewer extension under the "other" tab, which itself is a bit curious. Let me know if that works. Dmehus (talk) 19:00, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus:, Oh, thank you. It works now. InspecterAbdel (talk) 19:09, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
InspecterAbdel Okay, Yes check.svg great. Dmehus (talk) 19:10, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus:, and (hopefully) last question: How do I change the color of the text (Not content inside of pages, but the sidebar and topbar) InspecterAbdel (talk) 19:19, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
InspecterAbdel I assume you mean the background colour of the top navigation menu and the sidebar. If so, you'd need to find the CSS class for those elements, then define the background colour for those classes in your wiki's MediaWiki:Common.css. I'm really not a CSS expert, though, so I'd recommend joining us on Discord, on IRC in the #miraheze connect channel, or, alternatively, posting a separate, specific question in a new thread on community noticeboard, and waiting for a CSS subject matter expert to reply. Dmehus (talk) 19:24, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
No, I mean the color of the text, not the BG. InspecterAbdel (talk) 19:25, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: The tabs (namespace, talk, view history, edit, etc.) also need color. InspecterAbdel (talk) 19:30, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Hello? InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:40, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
InspecterAbdel My instructions above should apply as well, but you would just need to find the CSS class to set the background colour to those navigation and sidebar navigation menu panels. Once you have that, you should just be able to specify the background-color attribute for that class. This CSS tutorial may be of some assistance to you. Dmehus (talk) 16:45, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
I wanted to color the text itself, not the BG color, the BG color is taken care of. And the tabs. The tabs where it says Edit, View History, etc. InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:47, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Okay, then try this CSS tutorial for specifying the color attribute to the text in the applicable CSS classes you would define in your MediaWiki:Common.css page. Dmehus (talk) 16:49, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: Except I do not know what attribute the links in the sidebar, topbar, and tabs use. InspecterAbdel (talk) 14:36, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Help

Please How do i edit the name of a user group

I recently created an Extended confirmed implicit user group But i want to edit its name to Extended confirmed users

How?? Ugochimobi (talk) 21:01, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Ugochimobi Do you mean to change the display name of the group, or the group name, as defined at in this example? If the former, yes, you can modify this by changing [[MediaWiki:Group-groupname]], where groupname is the name assigned to the group. If the latter, you will have to delete the group and recreate it with the correct group name. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 21:04, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Okay thanks !! Ugochimobi (talk) 21:10, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
No problem. Dmehus (talk) 21:17, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: Please is it possible to create a permission
Just as I have editsemiprotected (Edit pages protected as "Allow only autoconfirmed users")
Can i create a permission like editextendedprotected (Edit pages protected as "Allow only extendedconfirmedusers") ?? Ugochimobi (talk) 21:50, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi Yes, that's possible; however, it has to be done via a LocalSettings.php change on GitHub, which I'll do for you. Dmehus (talk) 21:52, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Do you want this restriction/protection level to be added to Famepedia, Famedata, or both? Dmehus (talk) 21:52, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Both please Ugochimobi (talk) 21:55, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi Okay, I've Yes check.svg done famepediawiki with this PR. I will do Famedata now. Note that once these are merged, you will need to create the MediaWiki interface messages on each wiki for these protection/restriction levels. I will get the exact messages to create, as these are what define the text that says Edit pages protected as "Allow only extendedconfirmedusers". Dmehus (talk) 22:13, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi I can't do Famedata as you've not yet created an Extendedconfirmed implicit user group on that wiki yet. Please advise when that's done. Dmehus (talk) 22:17, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Okay I'll alert you when i create for FAMEData Ugochimobi (talk) 22:21, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: I need to create a Edit protected templates (templateeditor) permission also Ugochimobi (talk) 22:33, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
I've Yes check.svg done the request for Famedata wiki now. With regard to the templateeditorprotected protection/restriction level, I'll do that once the above two PRs have been merged. Thanks. Dmehus (talk) 02:00, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Please how do I merge the above two PRs?? @Dmehus: Ugochimobi (talk) 12:18, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
And also Dmehus I can't see the editextendedprotected (Edit pages protected as "Allow only extendedconfirmedusers") permission on the permission list so I can grant it to the Extended confirmed users
Why? Ugochimobi (talk) 12:50, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
You will not be able to see or use that permission until the PRs are merged. Regarding your above question, merging PRs requires Site Reliability Engineers to perform, and they should be able to do it within 1-2 days. Please do remember that we're all volunteers, and these sort of changes are implemented as soon as humanly possible. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:24, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Please how do i inform them that it should be merged?? I mean the SRE? Ugochimobi (talk) 19:58, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi Reception123 was able to merge the PR for Famepedia wiki; however, as the Famedata wiki PR required resolving a merge conflict and because there were other issues that came up, the Famedata PR will likely have to wait until tomorrow for him to merge, but rest assured, it will be done for you. Dmehus (talk) 20:49, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Oh now I get! I'll patiently wait for the merge of FAMEData PR so we can proceed with the creation of templateeditor permission. Dmehus Ugochimobi (talk) 21:07, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Please @Dmehus: do you know How i can create the permission message?? Ugochimobi (talk) 21:35, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: Please has it been merged?? Ugochimobi (talk) 20:56, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi Sorry, the other PR's not yet been merged as the past day was quite busy. I will prioritize this for merging on Reception123's agenda when he gets up first thing tomorrow morning. :) Dmehus (talk) 20:58, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Okay @Dmehus: thanks Ugochimobi (talk) 21:02, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Please I'm waiting !! Ugochimobi (talk) 21:53, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

How to get rid of edit splash screen?

An annoying popup that gets in the way.
Everytime I click 'Edit source' on any page of the wiki this popup gets in the way, until I click 'Start editing' at the bottom of it. How to turn it off for all users? Rob Kam (talk) 09:14, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Rob Kam Yeah, I've noticed that on some wikis, and I just realized what might be the cause of that. Do you have VisualEditor installed? If so, or even if not potentially, do you have your wiki(s) set up in a single- or dual-tabbed environment? I suspect the popup occurs only on wikis with the single-tab edit environment set up. Let me know if that works, and hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:20, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Visual editor is enabled and another problem the actual 'Edit' tab isn't there, only 'Edit source'. Setting 'Manage this wiki's additional settings' > 'VisualEditor Use Single Edit Tab ($wgVisualEditorUseSingleEditTab)' either way makes no difference. All the settings/preferences on simpleelectronicswiki are identical and that shows both the 'Edit' and 'Edit source' tab and no splash screen, (although VE there now gives the error 'Error contacting the Parsoid/RESTBase server (HTTP 403)' ... (I set you the rights on both wikis so that you can see the settings for yourself, if you want to). Rob Kam (talk) 19:26, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Rob Kam Hrm, the 403 Parsoid/RESTBase may be unrelated and (hopefully) is a temporary occurrence. Please keep an eye on this, and raise a Phabricator task if that persists. Looking at Special:ManageWiki/settings, "edit" tab, I note that you have $wgVisualEditorEnableWikitext disabled. This causes issues when switching between visual and source editing modes within VisualEditor and, for users (such as me) who have source editor mode set to the default, forces the user to refresh the page. It's possible this may also be the cause of the splash screen issue. Do you want to try enabling that, or would you like me to? Dmehus (talk) 21:06, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
I tried enabling $wgVisualEditorEnableWikitext but no change. Please see what you can do. Rob Kam (talk) 21:30, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Rob Kam Per your above request, I've Yes check.svg re-enabled $wgVisualEditorEnableWikitext. Initially, there was no change for me as well as I had to manually reload the page and also there was the splash screen; however, after waiting a few minutes, I got no splash screen and didn't have to reload the page I was wanting to edit anymore, either. We used to use a JavaScript version of Parsoid but switched to a PHP version of Parsoid late last year. With the older JavaScript version, it used to take ten (10) minutes for VisualEditor to be enabled or for settings changes related to VisualEditor to take effect. While you no longer have to wait ten (10) minutes with the PHP version of Parsoid, I wonder if there's still a delay of a few minutes, possibly a ManageWiki cache issue or something? Not totally sure, but please do try editing on your wiki again and see if the splash screen no longer appears. If it does, also check your preferences ("edit" tab) and ensure that "Temporarily disable the visual editor while it is in beta" and "Use the wikitext mode inside the visual editor, instead of a different wikitext editor" are unchecked. It's unlikely the former could be an issue, but it's possible the latter may in fact be. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 23:08, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Those are the settings I have already, there's no change. Rob Kam (talk) 23:40, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Rob Kam Hrm, I definitely don't see the splash screen, though, so there must be some other preference setting you have set that it is causing it to appear. I'll try and look into this a bit further. Dmehus (talk) 23:46, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Rob Kam: disable $wgVisualEditorShowBetaWelcome in Special:ManageWiki/settings "Beta" tab, and that should remove it.
Universal Omega Yeah, that potentially does make sense as well, as I did wonder about that a bit as well, but it doesn't explain why the splash screen does not show for me even though that setting is still enabled. Also, I think your signature may be incompatible with DiscussionTools, as the "reply" link does not appear after your reply, so if you could fix that, that'd be great, too. Thanks. Dmehus (talk) 00:06, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Yes that's fixed it, thank you. There is still the other problem that although VE is enabled the 'Edit' tab is missing, and the wiki only has 'Edit source'. Rob Kam (talk) 00:52, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── @Dmehus: the 403 error was caused by my tweaking at the permissions, fixed by allowing writeapi for group Users. Rob Kam (talk) 10:35, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Rob Kam Ah, yes, that makes sense actually. While it's good you were able to resolve it by adding writeapi to your user group, note that some extensions which rely on system user maintenance scripts, which aren't real registered users, require writeapi to be included within the * user group, so I do personally recommend including it in the * group. If you're concerned anonymous users may edit through the API, this won't be possible, as writeapi is a contingent user right in that it would still require the edit user right, which anonymous users would not have on your wiki(s). Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 14:24, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

About Inputbox

Please tell me the specifications of Inputbox. How do I resize the section level of the input box to create a new comment?

I want Inputbox to put (=== titlesub ===) under one big heading (== title ==) in the input box. Please tell me how to do it.--虎之介 (talk) 13:43, 18 April 2021 (UTC) 虎之介 (talk) 13:43, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Wth is this!?

Today, I went to naasgamelandwiki and an internal error gave me this message:

MediaWiki internal error.

Original exception: [1bb668179c755ad2623d990f] 2021-04-19 00:41:16: Fatal exception of type "MediaWiki\Storage\NameTableAccessException"

Exception caught inside exception handler.

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.

what does that mean?? — Preceding unsigned comment added by InspecterAbdel (talkcontribs) 00:42, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

InspecterAbdel Can you please raise a Phabricator ticket regarding this? This likely will need to be traced, investigated, and actioned by Site Reliability Engineering. Thank you. Dmehus (talk) 00:52, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
It didn't send me an email that lets me verify my account. I clicked resend multiple times. So I can't create my account. InspecterAbdel (talk) 02:07, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
InspecterAbdel Oh, do you have an Outlook e-mail address? If so, that could be the issue. What's your Phabricator username you tried to create? I can have Reception123 reset your Phabricator account e-mail address for you. Dmehus (talk) 02:12, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Yes check.svg Fixed. Reception123 (talk) (C) 11:18, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

$wgNamespaceProtection

I made a new setting called "editarchive", and it said in Create Namespace that you should see it in $wgNamespaceProtection, but there is no such setting in Special:ManageWiki/settings. Can anyone tell me where you can access this setting? InspecterAbdel (talk) 14:10, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Will anyone respond? InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:06, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
You can't create user rights in Special:ManageWiki. You can, however, protect a namespace using an existing user right from Special:ListGroupRights on your wiki. Alternatively, you can use your Phabricator account to request a restriction/protection level user right be created for your wiki. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 18:11, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Namespace tab

How do I change the text in the Namespace tab? I already changed the one for the Talk page (I changed "Discussion" to "Talk"), and I want to change "Page" to "Article". InspecterAbdel (talk) 15:51, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

InspecterAbdel This is controlled by specifying the text for your namespace(s) using the following interface message: [[MediaWiki:Nstab-namespacename]]. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 16:15, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Yes check.svg Thank you, it works! InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:18, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Okay, great. That's great to hear! Dmehus (talk) 16:21, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus:, oh and how do you change the text of custom user-rights? If you don't know what I mean, it says You need to have the group "cocreator", "administrators"; and I want it to say "Co-Creators" InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:24, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
This file can explain it Screenshot 2021-04-19 11.20.19 AM.png InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:28, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
InspecterAbdel There are several interface messages for this. That is likely pulling the data from [[MediaWiki:Group-groupnname]]; however, there is also [[MediaWiki:Group-groupnname-member]], which is seen in the Special:ListUsers lists of users you may wish to modify. You also modify the page name location of your group documentation pages with [[MediaWiki:Grouppage-groupnname]]. Groupname is the name of the group from Special:ManageWiki/permissions/sysop, as an example, where sysop is the group name for the administrators group. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 16:32, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Yes, but it makes things inconsistent. In ListUsers, it says that I'm a "Co-Creators" but if I logout and view source of the Main Page, it works fine because it says "The action you have requested is limited to users in one of the groups: Co-Creators, Moderators, Administrators, Users." and not "cocreator". InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:38, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
That's why you need to have consistent verbiage across your interface messages. Personally, for the "group" interface messages, I use "Administrators," "Bureaucrats," "Founders," "Editors," etc., and for the "-member" messages, I use all lower case and singular, like "administrator," "bureaucrat," "founder," "editor," etc. In your case, following this example, you'd use "Co-Creators" for the former and "co-creator" for the latter. Dmehus (talk) 16:42, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: Yes check.svg Thank you, it works! InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:45, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Okay, great! No problem. :) Dmehus (talk) 16:47, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: and may you please answer my question in #$wgNamespaceProtection? InspecterAbdel (talk) 17:19, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
InspecterAbdel You can't create user rights in Special:ManageWiki. You can, however, protect a namespace using an existing user right from Special:ListGroupRights on your wiki. Alternatively, you can use your Phabricator account to request a restriction/protection level user right be created for your wiki. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 18:10, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ok, can you put editarchive to naasgamelandwiki? I'm using a school computer because I can't access the acc. verification rn InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:13, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus:, and how do I blacklist URLs? InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:15, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@InspecterAbdel: add URLs to MediaWiki:Spam-blacklist. --Anton (talk) 18:21, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Suggestion

Oversight usergroup

I have found the latest Wikimedia Tech News (diff), that they are changing the user group "Oversighters" the name of another file name "suppressors" for technical reasons. I noticed in the ListGroupRights special page that we also have an Oversight group in use, so will we change this setting too? Thanks for answers. --Anton (talk) 18:31, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Anton I wasn't aware of that, but as it sounds like a default name change in MediaWiki software. We should still be able to continue using the oversight name; it may just require us to override the default name in the applicable interface message(s). Basically, from my understanding, the MediaWiki:Group-oversight-member interface message is becoming MediaWiki:Group-suppress-member, but the actual group name is not changing. All we'll likely need to update is our MirahezeMagic interface message overrides. Dmehus (talk) 18:34, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Yes, I know those MediaWiki messages in the namespace. Let’s wait for the moment, at least now for the beginning, when the change has taken effect in Wikimedia. --Anton (talk) 18:39, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
This is part of core changes as far as I can see so won't affect us until 1.37 where we can make a call. It's only the internal name though not whats displayed. I'll keep an eye though. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (on) 19:27, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Note that this is not internal. I wonder why we even have an override. User:R4356th/Signature 19:41, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
I'm wondering if our permissions scheme has just prevented these changes from being rolled out passively. Given that our default permissions loadout isn't specified by the MediaWiki default, but rather by the ManageWiki/permissions default and the few additional overrides. If anything, this could just be a note for us to update from Oversight to suppressors as well. -- Void Whispers 19:50, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
+1 to the idea of updating the role name, I am sure many if not most people who also use WMF wikis will get the hang of this correct name soon (probably in a month, when WMF roles out the change). User:R4356th/Signature 22:28, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

How do I use Special:MassMessage correctly?

Everytime I use it, it just creates a log action but no message. InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:59, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

You probably need to send a message to a page (or category) containing a list of pages to send it to, rather directly to, say, a target page. Though not essential, if sending to a page containing your list of pages, it's helpful to change that page's content model to the MassMessage content model. Dmehus (talk) 19:02, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Please feel free to visit this page on TestWiki to request sysop and bureaucrat permissions to test Special:MassMessage, if you want. Dmehus (talk) 19:06, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: I requested. InspecterAbdel (talk) 19:16, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

VisualEditor

I don't understand why VisualEditor desapered. Theres no more 'Edit' tab... Acutally I would like it to be the only edit tab. Emmanuel (talk) 19:13, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Could you check Special:ManageWiki/namespaces and ensure that visual editor is enabled in the expected namespaces? If that doesn't fix the issue, then could you link to your wiki so I (or others) can take a closer look? -- Void Whispers 22:34, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Yes ! Thank you, it works now but, only for unregistred users the edit tab dispays "source edit" instead of "edit" and on Chrome the VisualEditor dosen't run by default. I would like it to always run by default, without "welcome to beta message". The Wiki Emmanuel (talkcontribs) 00:01, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Next Miraheze Limited Board of Directors' Meeting

Evening all, please see the Agenda for the next Directors' meeting taking place on April 25th, 2021. Further agenda points are welcome or other points of discussion time-permitting. Thank you, Owen (talk) 19:45, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Lost on Infoboxes

I've just imported the XML required for infoboxes onto my Wiki, but I'm stuck on what to do now. Whenever I go to the Template:Infobox page on my wiki, it just displays a red link to some page called "Template:Documentation". So, yeah, I'm totally stuck. CheeseMilkYogurt (talk) 19:46, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

What's your wiki? @CheeseMilkYogurt: Ugochimobi (talk) 07:31, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Your template requires a template "Documentation". Your template should be working anyway because the missing template is not included, LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 08:13, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Ugochimobi: You have deleted the template "Documentation" by yourself. Do you really know what you are doing? LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 08:17, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Sorry @Lily: That was supposed to be for @CheeseMilkYogurt: i guess 🙂 Ugochimobi (talk) 08:21, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Ugochimobi: You are so right, I am deeply sorry, LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 09:50, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Lily: THAT'S NOTHING YOU KNOW... Ugochimobi (talk) 12:59, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Ugochimobi: Sorry I missed your birthday, best wishes afterwards! LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 09:02, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Wow!! @Lily: how did you know my birthday??😃😃 Ugochimobi (talk) 09:20, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Ugochimobi: You published it on your famepedia user page, I took a look into the source code (I know I should not reveal my secrets 🙂) LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 09:38, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Anyways thanks @Lily: :) Ugochimobi (talk) 10:29, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

All of my contributions are being hidden.

On Awesome Games Wiki, none of my edits show up on the recent changes. In addition, a few logs such as the block log don't show up either. Does anyone know why this is happening? --DeciduousWater534 (talk) 22:11, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

The bureaucrat (and founder) groups on that wiki appear to have the bot permission. This prevents the changes and logs generated by users with this permission from showing up in recent changes, but can still be viewed if you update the filters. I'd recommend removing this permission from those groups. -- Void Whispers 22:33, 19 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
That solved the issue, thanks. --DeciduousWater534 (talk) 01:20, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Volunteer Opportunities

Hello all,

I just wanted to inquire about something. I've been looking for ways that I can help out within Miraheze, and I see that there are numerous opportunities available, a lot of which require an election process. I was just wondering what you more experienced users out there would recommend that I start by doing in the community so that I can build up necessary experience for other positions of responsibility. Thanks! Turtle84375 (talk) 07:41, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Question

Is there a criteria for custom domain wikis and inactivity exemptions? Like maybe you need to have the wiki be a month old or something? InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:03, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

InspecterAbdel For custom domains, there is not too many conditions, other than if you are using Cloudflare for your DNS hosting, you must uncheck the orange proxy option. You can even request a free domain name from Freenom, if you wish. With regard to inactivity exemptions, there is not a codified criteria, but generally speaking, we assess both content quantity as well as quality and need (i.e., number of editors, number of new user creations, number of edits or log actions, etc.). Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 16:08, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: And for some reason, this issue, which has been bugging me even before I got GDPR'd, the number of files, edits, and articles are not accurate when displayed using magic words. Why? InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:53, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Dmehus: Another question, how do you edit the topbar? I already know there's a Sidebar interface page, but I don't know what MW page changes the topbar (with logout and etc.) InspecterAbdel (talk) 16:59, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
InspecterAbdel As far as I know, the top navigation menu needs to be customized via creating a JavaScript and adding it to your wiki's MediaWiki:Common.js file, or creating a gadget in MediaWiki namespaces which users can optionally enable. Joritochip assisted Rob Kam with a similar request, so may be able to assist you. Dmehus (talk) 17:02, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@InspecterAbdel: JavaScript is required to add new items to the personal links bar in the top right. You can use mw.util.addPortletLink() to accomplish this (documentation for that method can be found here). If you need additional help implementing this on your wiki you can reply to me here or let me know on my talk page, I'd be happy to help you further. Joritochip (talk) 22:45, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
InspecterAbdel I assume you mean your recreated naasgamelandwiki, and not your previously deleted wiki. In any case, there's a couple things for this. Only pages in your wiki's Main namespace, or other namespaces where specified, that treat pages as "content pages" are counted. Also, from time to time, these values can be out of date. In such an event, you can request Site Reliability Engineering run a maintenance script with a Phabricator request. Please {{ping}} Reception123 if you need him to change your e-mail address to a non-Outlook e-mail address, but do DM or e-mail him your e-mail address(es) and please don't post them publicly. Thanks. Dmehus (talk) 17:07, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
There are 4 <Main> pages on naasgamelandwiki, 1 is a redirect. InspecterAbdel (talk) 17:12, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
I would not recommend free domains from Freenom for anyone, as freenom is known for closing the domains of a website with a ton of traffic, then proceeding to blacklist/ban you from their services, and don't get me started on their crappy customer service. If you ask them why you got blocked, they'd be like "A block is a block. Deal with it, greetings, (name here). It's a freaking permanent block from the service. You would be better off getting a .(domain name here) from namecheap, one of the most liked domain sellers, than Freenom. WikiJS talk 18:12, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
My website uses HostGator anyways. InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:30, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Another good one, and I assume you already have a domain, correct? WikiJS talk 18:43, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
It's a seperate website unrelated to Miraheze. InspecterAbdel (talk) 18:46, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Hello

Is it possible to change the number of a namespace eg. <Main> = 0 <Talk> = 1 etc.??? Ugochimobi (talk) 21:33, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Ugochimobi It may be technically possible, but since this is a wiki farm and also since those are core MediaWiki namespaces, it would be very messy, so I'm going to say no or, at the very least, it would be strongly not recommended. Hope that helps. Dmehus (talk) 21:36, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
I actually have an issue with my Draft and Draft talk namespace numbering, They're currently Draft: 3002 and Draft talk:3003
They're normally supposed to be Draft:118 and Draft talk:119
Please help. @Dmehus: Ugochimobi (talk) 21:41, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Ugochimobi I assume you're referring to Draft: and Draft talk: namespaces on English Wikipedia. Why would it matter if they are 3002 and 3003 on Miraheze, though? If some of your templates call namespace IDs 118 and 119, you should be able to use a text replacement or mass edit regex extension to make those text replacements to your namespace IDs. Dmehus (talk) 21:44, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks! You're awesome! @Dmehus: Ugochimobi (talk) 21:47, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
No problem. :) Dmehus (talk) 22:08, 20 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
{{NAMESPACENUMBER:{{ns:Draft}}:Test}} should produce the correct namespacenumber no matter what the exact number in the specific wiki is, here an example: Namespace Module has the namespacenumber 828 LilyLilyu - smile.svg talk and I will listen · Lilypond Wiki 08:39, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Oh. Thanks there! Ugochimobi (talk) 09:31, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Yes, thanks, Lily. I actually wasn't aware of that magic word. That should likely be very helpful. Dmehus (talk) 13:38, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Article Assessment

I need to enable article assessment for my wiki, I mean the #assessment parser function doesn't work. Please do I enable it, Is it an extension or what?? Ugochimobi (talk) 17:13, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

That parser function becomes a MediaWiki extension PageAssessments that is not used in Miraheze. If you want it, you can ask it to be installed in Phabricator. Thanks. --Anton (talk) 18:34, 21 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]